1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Favourite Quotes

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by redsponges, Aug 29, 2012.

1. redsponges

I'm fascinated with quotes. What are your favourites?
    Here are some of mine in no particular order.

"Everyone is ignorant, only on different subjects."
    "I was born an original so why should I die a copy?"
    "Don't confuse comfort with happiness."
    "If you can't sleep, well you can't dream, and if you can't dream, well what does life mean?"
    "Never let anyone tell you that you don't deserve what you want."
    "Even the sharpest piece of glass has a smooth edge somewhere."
    "Money doesn't buy happiness, it just makes the sh*te taste a bit better."
    Yes, i realise this kind of thread has probably already been posted.

#1 redsponges, Aug 29, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2012
  2. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hard to pin a precise favorite. Here's one of my favorite fatalistically sarcastic ones, though:

"Life, is like a box of chocolates... A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable because all you get back is another box of chocolates. So you're stuck with this undefinable whipped mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while there's a peanut butter cup or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast and the taste is... fleeting. So, you end up with nothing but broken bits filled with hardened jelly and teeth-shattering nuts. And if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you got left is an empty box filled with useless brown paper wrappers."

- Cigarette Smoking Man, X-Files.

So brilliant :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. SiberianHusky

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    (look at signature)

Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world. -Harriet Tubman

The best rules to form a young man are: to talk little, to hear much, to reflect alone upon what has passed in company, to distrust one's own opinions, and value others that deserve it. -Sir William Temple

The first step in the acquisition of wisdom is silence, the second listening, the third memory, the fourth practice, the fifth teaching others.- Solomon Ibn Gabriol

4. redsponges

^ is just wonderfull so true and i hate getting chocolates as a gift for that purpose

---------- Post added 30th Aug 2012 at 03:02 AM ----------

William Shakespeare will always be the master of words

5. The Spark

"You never know how much is enough until you've had too much."
    It's from a movie.. I think it's called Strangeland? I was always too scared to watch it, but my mom once told me this quote and I've loved it ever since.

6. if you do what youve always done youll get where youve always got.

7. Dummy

Kronk's Shoulder Devil: [to Kronk] Listen up, big guy. I got three good reasons why you should just walk away. Number one: [points at the angel] Look at that guy! He's got that sissy, stringy, music thing.
    Kronk's Shoulder Angel: We've been through this. It's a harp, and you know it.
    Kronk's Shoulder Devil: All right. So, that's a harp … and that's a dress!
    Kronk's Shoulder Angel: Robe!
    Kronk's Shoulder Devil: Reason number two: [he does a one-handed handstand] Look what I can do!
    Kronk: But, uh, what does that have to do with anything?
    Kronk's Shoulder Angel: No, no, he's got a point.

:icon_bigg(!):roflmao:

8. xXPsychedelicXx

"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it." - Terry Pratchett

9. Bree

"When you come to the edge of all the light you know, and are about to step off into the darkness of the unknown, faith is knowing one of two things will happen: There will be something solid to stand on, or you will be taught how to fly."
    -Patrick Overton

"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination"
    -John Lennon

"You can't make footprints in the sands of time by sitting on your butt; and who wants to make buttprints in the sands of time?"
    -Bob Moawad

10. Silver Sparrow

“There will be other lives.
    There will be other lives for nervous boys with sweaty palms, for bittersweet fumblings in the backseats of cars, for caps and gowns in royal blue and crimson, for mothers clasping pretty pearl necklaces around daughters' unlined necks, for your full name read aloud in an auditorium, for brand-new suitcases transporting you to strange new people in strange new lands.
    And there will be other lives for unpaid debts, for one-night stands, for Prague and Paris, for painful shoes with pointy toes, for indecision and revisions.
    And there will be other lives for fathers walking daughters down aisles.
    And there will be other lives for sweet babies with skin like milk.
    And there will be other lives for a man you don't recognize, for a face in a mirror that is no longer yours, for the funerals of intimates, for shrinking, for teeth that fall out, for hair on your chin, for forgetting everything. Everything.
    Oh, there are so many lives. How we wish we could live them concurrently instead of one by one by one. We could select the best pieces of each, stringing them together like a strand of pearls. But that's not how it works. A human's life is a beautiful mess.”
    ― Gabrielle Zevin, Elsewhere

11. Praetor

"As for me, all I know is that I know nothing" - Socrates

12. Brody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Look below this

13. Gallatin

"He who fears being conquered is certain of defeat."
    -Napoleon

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    -Benjamin Franklin

"I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints, the sinners are much more fun."
    -Billy Joel, "Only the Good Die Young"

And my signature as well.

14. xXPsychedelicXx

"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have."

15. smprob

"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reasoning/intellect and knowledge" - Lord Buddha

"The secret of health for both mind and body is not to mourn for the past, not to worry about the future, not to anticipate the future, but to live the present moment wisely and earnestly." - Lord Buddha

"You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love & affection."- Lord Buddha

"What we think, we become." - Lord Buddha

"Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned." - Lord Buddha

"Health is the greatest gift, contentment is the greatest wealth, faithful one is the greatest relation,..." - Lord Buddha

"Work out your own salvation. Do not depend on others."- Lord Buddha

"I have been impressed with the urgency of doing. Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Being willing is not enough; we must do." - Leonardo Da Vinci

"What you want to do, and what you can do, is limited only by what you can dream."- Mike Melville

"We must become the change we want to see."- Mahatma Gandhi

16. “My kids are starting to notice I'm a little different from the other dads. "Why don't you have a straight job like everyone else?" they asked me the other day.

I told them this story:
    In the forest, there was a crooked tree and a straight tree. Every day, the straight tree would say to the crooked tree, "Look at me...I'm tall, and I'm straight, and I'm handsome. Look at you...you're all crooked and bent over. No one wants to look at you." And they grew up in that forest together. And then one day the loggers came, and they saw the crooked tree and the straight tree, and they said, "Just cut the straight trees and leave the rest." So the loggers turned all the straight trees into lumber and toothpicks and paper. And the crooked tree is still there, growing stronger and stranger every day.”
    ― Tom Waits

Sure you could see as a big ol' metaphor for gay people, I however like to see it as the lightning quick genius of Tom Waits and a rather wonderful quote about our differences.

17. Phantosmiac

I do love Douglas Adams "Flying is just learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

18. Route466

Route466 Guest

"Sometimes it's better not to go fast.
    There are beautiful sights to be seen when you're last.
    Shouldn't it be that you just try your best?
    And that's more important than beating the rest?
    Shouldn't it be looking back at the end
    That you judge your own race by the help that you lend?
    So take what's inside you and make big, bold choices.
    And for those who can't speak for themselves, use bold voices.
    And make friends and love well; bring art to this place.
    And make the world better for the whole human race."
    - Jamie Lee Curtis

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."
    - James Dean

"Trust, but verify."
    - Ronald Reagan

And my all-time favorite... my signature.

19. Cloudbreaker

"What other people think of me is none of my business."

20. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "Yesterday's history, tomorrow's a mystery, but today is a gift. That's why it's called the present." ~ Joan Rivers

"Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence (Lawrence of Arabia)

"If ever there is tomorrow when we're not together, there is something you must always remember. You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. But the most important thing is, even if we're apart, I'll always be with you.*" - Christopher Robin

"There's not a man on my ottoman, there hasn't been one for weeks. There's not a man on my ottoman, he's gone off to fight the Greeks." - Jennifer Patterson

"The dog, the woman, and the walnut tree; the more you beat them the better they be." - Clarissa Dickson Wright