1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Novak Djokovic Wins the Australian Open!

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by sdc91, Jan 27, 2008.

1. sdc91

[​IMG]

(You knew this was coming.)

YAY! Novak Djokovic of Serbia won vs. Jo-Wilfried Tsonga of France:

4-6
    6-4 Win
    6-3 Win
    7-6 (7-2) Win

I'm kind of sad he dropped the first set since if he won in 3 straight sets he would have been the 3rd player to win a grand slam championship without dropping a set, after Borg in 1980 (French Open) and Federer in 2007 (Australian Open).

And the French fans were downright nasty! They were booing Djokovic left and right for not doing anything wrong and the row directly behind Djokovic's box was harrassing his family until Djokovic complained on court, which prompted an official complaint from the family. Later the French fans were moved and replaced with Serbian fans, after which he played much better.

2. TriBi

Well - I'm sorry - but I saw nothing of the crap you are talking about re the French fans.

Fact is that Australians (almost automatically) tend to root for the underdog.

It was a good match. I also kind of hoped that the fairytale might come true for Tsonga (he just seems like such a nice humble guy).

I had always liked Djokovic - buit in this tournament, he had come across as being fairly arrogant. Nevertheless, he won (as I had somewhat expected), and was quite gracious in his victory.

Nevertheless - Jo-W has made his mark - and I would be VERY surprised, with his talent and temperament, if he isn't a top 5 player within the next 12 months. I really don't think it will be too long before he is winning his first Grand Slam - and once he does - I think he will be one of the dominant players of the next few years..changing of the guard and all that...

3. sdc91

Hm, Tez said he didn't see the French fan fiasco (lol alliteratin), either. I don't think they showed it on Channel 7 (is that right?), but they covered it on EPSN between games.

I'm sure Tsonga will be in the finals of more grand slams to come so we'll get to see more of both of them!

4. TriBi

I did see mention on a replay of complaints by Djokovic senior - but it was brought up obviously at the end of a game by the commentators, so I may have been in the kitchen or something.

I certainly don't recall any discussion of it while I was watching play.