1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ECBC Middlesex Discussion

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Romi, Sep 8, 2012.

1. Romi

Hi everyone!
    For many of you reading is well under way with Middlesex.
    For those of you just tuning in, the Empty Closets Book Club just started reading Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides at the start of September.
    It's all super exciting. ​

So this thread is dedicated to the discussion of said book. Everything from characters, plot, writing styles, etc. We're going to delve into it all.

I would like to say that there won't be any spoilers, but since we're all reading at a different pace then there is sure to be the occasional spoiler here and there. However, I can assure you that each week, we'll only be discussing up to the point of what's been selected.

Middlesex is divided into four books. So each week will correspond with one of those books. :slight_smile:

I'm going to go ahead and start out by throwing out some interesting topic discussions for everyone. Just little things I took note of and thought would be interesting to bring up. Feel free to delve into one of these or post up your own discussion question/thoughts. :slight_smile:

1 - How do you feel about the way Eugenides formatted the action scenes? For example, the simultaneous happenings when the city was on fire. What are the pros and cons of this?

2- How do you feel about the interruptions made by the narrator? Do you find them distracting or confusing?

3- What are your feelings on the arrangement of Lefty and Desdemona's courtship?

2. Calico

I find the interruptions of the narrator quite interesting. It makes the narrator seem more human rather than telling their story the whole way through and then adding in those bits at the end.
    I have another question : Why do you think the narrator's brother is called Chapter Eleven?

3. Gen

Gen

I'm always a fan of the main characters thoughts being uncluded in every aspect of the story, so I dont have a problem with the interruptions in this one. As Calico(Pun ^_^), said, it does help create a connection with the character's background.

Though, on the writing style of the book, I'm torn... On one hand I admire that fact that everything is well though of, described, and connected. However, at times I find myself feeling as though I am just being given a ton of information. It just feels inpersonal. Similar to historical accounts rather than being told a story, if that make sense. Though that could be just me :/.

4. Romi

I don't think its just you at all, because I felt the same way. I enjoy having all kinds of little details, and the unimportant details, the ones that lend nothing to the story's overall plot, are so fascinating. Those are the things that enable me to really relate to the characters and eventually care about them.

However, there are times when the information we're being given is a bit tedious and overwhelming. Like you said, it feels like I'm being drug into a history lesson. I understand that the history is important, particularly when the story is based of off real places and times. Still, I wish it was being presented us in a more favorable fashion.

For anyone who's read any of Tolkien's works, they'll understand when I say that his way of shoveling out details to the reader can be near tedious and overwhelming, and oftentimes one might not process at all what they've read on account of the information overload. And yet it's acceptable, because the information is very much needed in a world of complete fantasy.

But with Middlesex, their world is our world's past. I dunno...I like being grounded, but at times I wish it were worked in more smoothly.

As for why Cal's brother is referred to as Chapter Eleven, I'm not sure. I'm assuming there's an explanation to come later on. I hope. Or it'll drive me crazy trying to explain it. Hahaha.

5. Gen

Gen

Ikr. There has to be an interesting explanation for it :/

6. Calico

Geez....what happened to everyone else?
    Honestly, I kinda thought the relationship between Lefty and Desdemona was justifiable- after all, it's a small village, and it's pretty similar to love between people who have been friends since they were very young children.
    I definitely agree with Romi's comment on JRR Tolkien. Having different languages just makes it even more confusing.

7. Calico

And I've found out why Cal's brother is called Chapter Eleven. He goes bankrupt at the end, and files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy in the US.

8. Gen

Gen

I dont know lol. The only reason I havent been posting is because I have been swamped this week and am having a hard time keeping up with everything ~_~.

But yeah, I am happy that there was a actual reason behind "Chapter Eleven". Kind of disappointed that he didnt turn out to be a artificial being like a scifi movie :/

9. Doctor Faustus

Is there an October book?! :/

10. Romi

I was so swamped as well. But I'm happy to keep discussing the book! And to answer your question, Dr. .... I'll send you here.

---------- Post added 7th Oct 2012 at 02:24 PM ----------

Think about it, though. He had all the potential and it was squandered. I don't mean to sound like Milton in this case, but...it's an unfortunate thing that happened. I suppose a lot of potential was "squandered" in that era, though. With everything that was happening in the country.

I'm curious what you guys think of the way Desdemona's own beliefs and fears slowly changed her relationship with Lefty over the years. I have to admit, I found myself torn. Partly understanding her silent decision, and partly wanting to shake the ever living life out of her.