1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intervention

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by wickedboi, Jan 28, 2008.

1. wickedboi

Has anyone seen this show?
    for those who havent its basicaly where they take someone who has a deadly addiction, trick them into thinking they are on a documentary (which they are) but they dont know at the end tho that they will have to face their family and be sent to a rehab.
    I'm watching one right now where a lesbian women was to become a GREAT athlete but gets into heroine after her dad disowns her for being "a load of sin"
    and he basicaly goes on a tryant on camera where he says "oh being gays a sin, she knows that, she is throwing her life away for drugs and being a sin blah blah blah" YET HE, commited adultry (he cheated on his wife) which is a equaly big, or bigger sin. Hyprocrit, I watch this show alot and I'm shocked at how many of these people with drug addictions are kids of super religious parents (just my opinion tho)

2. ebra

I think it is because, correct me if i am wrong, being raised in a religious home, a person gets instilled with a very high guilt level. I know I was. and It is like you feel so guilty for the little things, and so worried your going to hell and that everyone would disown you, that the drugs are an escape....i dont know. just my views. I watch that show alot to... and religious people are usually (note usually) hypocrites, for no other reason then they are human, and we all sin and we all make mistakes and we have no right to judge anyone else, on any level, religion aside. hmm...makes you wonder how people have ever survived this long doesnt it....

3. wickedboi

^I try to watch it all the time. I mean, sometimes I wanna reach in and punch the people on the drugs cuz some dont have ANY reason to be on them (I mean, there is NO good reason to, but some people just do it to seek revenge or somin, that is worst then anything) but after seeing many of the parents, you cant help but sorta feel sorry for them.

4. InaRut

Wow I never knew how messed up shop-o-holics could be till I saw this show.
    So sad...

5. Astaroth

Yes, I tune into Intervention every chance I get. Each case is so extremely touching and yet painful to watch at the same time. The hardest one for me to watch so far was the mother who became a heavy alcoholic in her 40s. She has two beautiful children and a loving husband. She had a job. Things seemed great. And then she started drinking. Just a little at first, but over time it got to be a big problem. By the time the camera crews arrived to film her story, she was buying mouthwash simply for the alcohol content since it was cheaper than a bottle of anything else. She would literally drink a huge jug of mouthwash just to get drunk. And then she would pass out on the front lawn until the kids got home.

What's really sad is that it seems the success rate for most of these cases is fairly low -probably 20% from what I've seen - and relapses are so common. Addiction is such a crazy, terrible thing to have to deal with. Sometimes it really does take an intervention to get through to people.