1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Music that got you through tough times?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by DarkestJade, Sep 18, 2012.

1. DarkestJade

I was just wondering if anyone had music that got them through tough times. It could be anything that you just connected with. For me it was the band Placebo, they deal with a lot of deep things and the lyrics are just amazing. And as a bonus point the lead Brian Molko is bisexual!!! AWESOMENESS!! XD
    Anyway, with songs like Nancy Boy and 20th Century Boy and Teenage Angst they deal with a lot of subjects that I'm guessing anyone in the LGBT community would feel close to.
    So my two questions are, what music got you through those times when you had nobody...? And does anyone know any similar bands to Placebo that deal with angst, depression and sexuality?

2. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Guest

Safetysuit has deep & emotional songs.
    Envy on the coast- "Lapse" & "Starving your friends"
    Coldplay- Fix you.
    Deftones- There's a hole in the Earth.

---------- Post added 18th Sep 2012 at 07:51 PM ----------

Safetysuit has deep & emotional songs.
    Envy on the coast- "Lapse" & "Starving your friends"
    Coldplay- Fix you.
    Deftones- There's a hole in the Earth.

3. rx79g

Definetly coldplay-fix you, and M83-midnight city, thought that last one idk why cuz it doesn't really have much for lyrics but it helped me somehow

4. Pain

Pain Guest

Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture. Forreal

5. jvn95

"Something good can work" by two door cinema club
    My all time favorite one, "May it be" by Enya

6. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

30 Seconds to Mars - "Kings and Queens"
    I've always interpreted the lyrics as saying that we were promised everything, but the world couldn't keep that promise, and now we're just going to do the best we can.

Tokio Hotel - "Zoom Into Me"
    I'll admit that I can easily see Bill's voice being a dealbreaker for this song, but it has gotten me through a lot, so I have to mention it. To me, the lyrics say, "When you're feeling scared, alone, or hopeless, I'll make everything will be okay." It's kinda mushy, I'll admit, but it's helped me out. Then again, sometimes I interpret the "zoom into me" lines as actually referring to me me, meaning they're saying it's okay to focus on me and what I need.

Tokio Hotel - "Don't Jump"
    This song has seen me through some of my worst times. Bill seems to know exactly what to say to get through to the mind of someone considering suicide. Lines like, "The eyes of the city are counting the tears falling down, each one a promise of everything you've never found," and "The lights will not guide you through, they're deceiving you," have really made me feel like someone understood what I was going through. The song really spoke to me in some of my worst moments, when no other song would have been able to get through to me.

If you want a band that deals with angst and depression, Evanescence is a pretty prototypical band in that regard. I recommend "Fields of Innocence", "Going Under", "My Immortal", "Hello", "My Last Breath", "Weight of the World", "Lithium", "The Only One", "Made of Stone", and "Lost in Paradise".

7. fleetingwells

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Kings of Leon. Their music got me through times where I didn't think anyone could understand how I felt at the time. Also, a lot of 90's music, mainly the grunge and alt rock. Still does actually, cuz right now Sleater-Kinney is so so good.

8. Pexetta

Bob Dylan's Highway 61 Revisited. I must have played the whole album a thousand times during the year when I was 'lost in the rain in Juarez' aged 19.

9. Harve

[YOUTUBE]PjzsnNkL-7o[/YOUTUBE]

I've not really been through any tough times recently, but this has got that 'emotional/reflective optimism'.

10. DarkestJade

I have to say I'm loving the bands here!! Hehe, but some of them I've never been a fan of :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

@Owen - I never really liked Tokio Hotel... they're not bad but I could never really get into them. And on the note of Evanescense, yes the lyrics are sometimes brilliant, I only like the song "My Immortal". Amy Lee's voice just a little bit too much for me...

@Fleetingwalls - Yes Grunge and Alt Rock!!!! Blue October, Bush, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Audioslave are some of my favorites there!!

@QueVidaLaMia - I love the classical music too! But more of a Vivaldi fan myself, that Winter Allegro Non Molto from the Four Seasons is for me just the best!! I have to say, I'm a strings fan :slight_smile:

And with Coldplay, I guess I just have something that stops my from liking that band... I don't know. They sound too similar to me to a lot of bands...

I just have to add as well that Imogen Heap is another on my list!! And definitely EMILIE AUTUMN!!!! She's amazing and she knows pain and suffering, having actually been in a mental institution!!

11. Was it easter time too?

That trilogy of albums from 65/66 is the best music has ever been and will be in my opinion. Endlessly thoughtful, cheers me up, stimulates me, inspires me and is just damn entertaining. Also that whole thing about changing the face of pop music forever.

As for me the most reason example would have to be Excitable Boy by Warren Zevon.

#11 BuzzFledderjohn, Sep 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2012
  12. Kerze

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There was a period of over a year between 2010-11 that absolutely sucked for me. I was probably depressed, I couldn't deal with school and there were a load of other things that I won't bore you with. I barely interacted with anyone irl and listened to music a lot. This is a list of albums that it's not an understatement to say saved my life. In a weird way they were there for me when people weren't. They're not all depressing, there's a range of moods that helped me get past being miserable all the time and hating everything. Gah, it's so stupid how much these things mean to me, and how much effort I'm putting in to this post! Anyway, point is, the list is below in no order.

13. Connor22

I'm predicting the rest of these for everyone aged between 20 and 14:

My Chemical romance
    My Chemical Romance
    My Chemical Romance
    My Chemical Romance
    My Chemical Romance
    My Chemical romance
    My Chemical Romance
    My Chemical Romance
    My Chemical Romance
    My Chemical Romance
    Green Day
    My Chemical romance
    My Chemical Romance
    My Chemical Romance
    My Chemical Romance
    My Chemical Romance

And the song young by hollywood Undead helped me a lot, I was getting bullied particularly bad this one day on facebook so I left the computer and put on scuzz. Thank the lord I did. \m/

14. Minamimoto_Fan

"There's a fine, fine line" from Avenue Q helped dull the pain of my first boyfriend decided we weren't going to work out. >:

15. Rin26

Rin26 Guest

Omg! I have to say Coldplay music was like musical therapy for me n Jacks Mannequin music always puts a smile on my face!

16. Crystal's Vaporeon

Comatose by Skillet
    When ever I feel like things aren't going well between me and my boyfriend (and I can easily mistake nothing as a big problem, at times I will get so depressed over something I've basically made-up I've spen hours on end crying) I listen to this song and it just helps me get out all the tears and makes me remember everything good from our relationship, yeah I know lame, relationship problems big woop, but I'm a teenager what is to be expected??

17. DarkestJade

Holy crap!!! This is almost the exact thing I went through!!!!! It's the whole reason I even started this thread!!! The music is different for both of us but the story is so similar!!:eek:

I'm not alone :eusa_danc

18. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    [youtube]8jRzm3dJ-_c[/youtube]

19. Mlpguy88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    "Ooh Child" by The Five Stare Steps is very calming

"Ain't even done with the night" by John Mellencamp, it is a very mellow song and it just makes me relax

-I know there are more but I can't think of them at the moment

20. pancake111

Anything by Linkin Park and the Goo Goo Dolls