1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"New Normal" Too Stereotypical?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by spectrumsigner, Sep 20, 2012.

1. spectrumsigner

Do you feel like the couple in "The New Normal" is too stereotypical, or do you feel like that's a fair portrayal of gay men?

2. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Elvis Duran (a gay radio show host) brought up this topic the other day. I liked his ideas on the matter. I've sort of paraphrased his version with my own opinion:

I don't think that they are a completely fair representation of all gay men, because there are only two of them. It would be impossible to cram all the facets of our community into two characters on a 30 minute program. They represent two fictional gay men, no more, no less.

And I will add, I think they whole "gay character" influx is kind of annoying. I will commend it for exposing more people to the fact that we do exist, but then they'll be let down because we don't all act/dress/think like the people they see on TV. Of course, the same could be said for nearly any minority that has spawned a sitcom movement in the history of television, save but for maybe the Huxtables. They broke television-enforced stereotypes for black people in several ways.

I love the show though. It's funny. And Ellen Barkin is one of my favorite people on earth!

3. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If anything the show is too white, middle-class, and cis-gendered.

4. Allecto

Yeah, basically. I know it's impossible to represent everyone, but it seems like most media representation focuses on white cis gay guys.

5. I've been trying to get into this but just can't I find the characters offensively stereotypical and the writing offensively lazy. Although I suppose I'm to blame in thinking Ryan Murphy could write quality TV.

6. CupidBoy

CupidBoy Guest

I'm here for this show, and when I heard 'Mariah' I was in love!

[​IMG]

I thought the couple was portraited beautifully.