1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do YOU get over writers block?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Gazza123, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

Now if your a writer like myself whether it be novel, short story, poem, song or script you will of course come across dum dum duuuum!!! WRITERS BLOCK

So of course will have our ways to get over it and would like to share mine here and hopefully more people will follow in giving they advice on how to get over this annoying thing that hits writers at some point in they life.

My Solution
    This works for me and it might or might not work for others but that's why every writer has they own way in dealing with it.

Normally it gets me I take a break first. This my number one rule because if I try to write then I might just ruin my work. If it's something doesn't read or sound right then taking a break is sure solution to that problem... well for me at least.

If story based then I normally take a break first and if that doesn't work then I would normally look at my plan see if I need to plan more or maybe it's something in the character profiles that doesn't fit

So there you go

Looking forward to reading other peoples responses

2. patience

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I usually take a break, sometimes I read something completely outside the genre of the piece I'm writing, or come back to it a couple of days later. My one, never-fail method of getting rid of writers block? Break something. I have a stack of plates I bought from a thrift store that I use specifically for this purpose. Breaking something on purpose is supposed to break a string of bad luck (the idea being that the act of you wilfully breaking something removes the "fate" aspect of the bad luck.) I guess I kind of extended the concept to writer's block. I use it to reset my train of thought.

Then, like the crafty little girl I am, I use the pieces of glass or ceramic to make mosaics. I'm a nerd. It's ok. You can say it. :slight_smile:

3. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That. Is. GROOVY! What a nifty idea!! :grin:

I usually go for a walk in the woods. That gets my creative engine revving. Or I cook something. And I find watching TV to be very inspiring. Especially commercials that aren't funny. I re-write them mentally and make them funnier. Then before I know it, I'm fully inspired again.

4. darlig ulv

take a REALLY, REALLY long walk, something has to pop into your mind by then.

5. caughtbywitness

...I don't. xD

6. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For me, I just think of the first thing that comes to mind. Usually it's crazy and out-of-this world, but hey. It fuels the story.

7. AlexisAnne

First of all, that is awesome Patience. I love that!

For me, when I get writer's block, I tend to step away from my computer for a while and avoid thinking about whatever it is I'm writing for several hours. Often times my writer's block centers around plot or character related situation, so I let whatever it is that's stumping me gel around in my subconscious for a while. After that time has passed, I start thinking about it and often times the issues have either worked themselves out or, come close enough that with some thought I'm able to overcome it.

That's my number one method. May not work for everybody.

8. Hunted

Well I am a songwriter and how I get over writers block is I go on a walk and look at everything from a passing dog to the cracks in the pavement. Then I think of details in the things I see. The way it looks with the sun, the way the light catches it, etc... Then i get back and I think of what i saw and incorporate into my songs. Hope this helps a little!!!!

9. FollowtheFreeman

I'll play a video game, watch a movie or read a book. Afterwards I'll go for a long run. There ain't no better cure for writer's block then that.

10. Emberstone

Never had to deal with writers block because I maintain more than one story. I am never at a loss for what to write about.

What I do get is a lack of creative energy, where I just dont want to work on my writing.

Writers block basically is a sign you either did not plan enough, or your over planned. The only people I personally know who get it never plan a thing, and just free write everything. it comes down to them trying to force a story to exist.

11. Burgie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    When I hit a block, I go do something else like read or cook something or even something simple like cleaning. If nothing else, I've usually found a way to get past it by morning.

12. Gen

Gen

I always finish short pojects like poetry or short stories in one sitting, and I dont normally run into walls with those now that I think about it...

Though with novels, always. I would even go as far to say that if you dont get writers block often with novels than you must be doing something wrong. Even writers who produce amazing work on their first try are nearly never completely satisfied with the first words to hit the paper. There is always room for improvement. With me, I will usually get a few thousand words in before I lose momentum. Then once I'm stuck I will stop and save it for the next time I start writing. I never really have extended 'writers block' because when I come back to the story I always reread what I have written(Or atleast the chapter if its a novel) and will find another way to approach it.

'Writers Blocks' is normal and even healthy in my opinion. I hit a wall 4 times, wrote 3 different versions of the first chapter of the a novel I recently started and I can promise that the final one is far better than the first.

So my philosophy is that if you hit a wall in your writing, dont keep bashing your head into it. Or trying to break through it, and damage your story in the process. Just take a step back and walk around it.

Though I do agree with Emberstone too. My post was really about a situation of "I dont know how to put this", not "I dont know where I am going with this".

I know people have their own way of writing, and especially if you are only doing it for yourself to have than please, go wild with it. But if you are planning on publishing, or giving your work to reading please plan atleast a little for their sake.

#12 Gen, Dec 21, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  13. Kay

Kay Guest

I start writing something else. If I am working on a novel and lose the story i will change to a different type and style of writing. I will work on a stage play (exit right) or a screenplay.

INT. Black Chevy Camero -NIGHT Lucy and Magda are sitting in the car. We see Lucy the passenger reach across and caress Magda's cheek.

Lucy - How could you not know how I feel about you? I love you silly and always will.

Magda puts her hand over Lucy's and tears well in her eyes

OH gosh i know what I needed on that mystery I am writing. I move back to the project I was working on and block and have a new vision and the Block is gone. Hugs

14. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lol, I am quite the opposite. I find I'm quite comfortable with description of events most of the time, but since I do fairly little outlining and most of my writing is on the fly, I often have no idea what should happen next.

I find it's very helpful to simplify things. Instead of my thinking "What does X character have to do in order to make Y happen, and yet still be both entertaining and believable?" I think something like " Where do I need to be at X point further in the story, and what will get me there?"

It's a subtle difference, but notice that the second approach is a bit broader. It allows me to back up from a single pool of actions into other options. Such choices in my sci-fi scenario include messing with the timing/spacing between events, arrangement of the environment, quantitative and/or comparative strength of the factions, or any number of other things.

Problem is, it gets complicated FAST. I do most of my thinking while chugging through some menial chore such as mowing the lawn or rolling silverware in the restaurant where I work. It frees me from distracting myself with words on the screen and lets the ideas piece themselves together uninterrupted.

#14 Argentwing, Dec 22, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
  15. Kay

Kay Guest

In the bold: I can't imagine writing without an outline. There can be so much complication in events. I have a lead chapter and the end. Then i lay out events that take me front to back and back to front. I have to know my characters and their history, right down to their favorite colors. I piece all of that together putting in and taking out scenes and events.
    Once I have that draft, I begin the rewrite for flow and transition. I pass it on to the person who edits. I rewrite from the edit copy. Then readers go over the project and make comments. I rework if I think the reader is correct. Edit for spelling usage and punctuation accord To the Chicago Manual of Style. Make those corrections and send it to the agent.
    You must be gifted if you can write as you say on the fly.

16. djt820

I just smoke some pot.

17. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Heh, I'd like to think I'm better than average, but not a prodigy by any means.

I write myself into corners occasionally, with no way to go but backwards. I have an entire chapter I cut from the beginning because it was meandering and contributed very little to the story. But the content I created for it is still "active" so to speak (all that happened is still true if not laid out), so I feel I can reference it if ever it becomes important to the story.

At least with writing semi-blindly and deleting, you find out what you DON'T want to do, and that is often very valuable information.

18. Hexagon

I play world of warcraft. Granted, its not exactly a solution, but when I'm done, I feel like writing again.