1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Casual Vacancy

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Emberstone, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Emberstone

With the book coming out in two days, I thought we should have a clean thread for discussion our anticipation for it (now that details are being discussed by Rowling in interviews), and our reactions when we read it.

So, please note, spoilers will be found here. Rule of thumb: dont wan't to be spoiled, dont click and read.

I enjoyed the new details, especially that this is a book that will be told from multiple perspectives. Harry Potter had its moments when you would step away from harry for a bit, either to be led by another character, or simply a observer, and so I am interested in seeing how she handles more directly narrating the story from many voices instead of just a few.

I also like that she is taking on the theme of wealth-versus poor aka entitlement verus poverty, since true entitlement doesnt come from the necessities, but excess (I'm entitled to the big house, the fast car, and your wife... etc)

2. Just picked it up, have yet to start it but was REALLY torn between it and the new Neil Young book. Looks good though.

3. Double post sorry but here is how my brief time with the book went

4:00 Just two pages, just see how it starts.
    4:23 Oh wow was that really 3 chapters!?
    5:45 How is it...what no since when did time move that fast?
    6:00 HOW AM I 100 PAGES INTO THIS?!

4. runallday4

runallday4 Guest

I'm afraid to read it, I don't want it to spoil HP for me. I don't love the topic, but JK Rowling... Conflicted... I might wait to hear some reviews on it.

5. Emberstone

reading the kindle sample because amazon has failed to ship my hardcover yet...

6. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm looking forward to reading it actually. I'll probably pick up a copy in the coming days. It definitely looks to be an interesting read.

7. Emberstone

I found the beginning, so far, to be distracting, because she is jumping constantly from one character's point of view to anothers. A few times, the swearing, and the sexual language seemed a little clumsy, like I couldnt accept that someone would narrate about having a ack in their heart and their balls... it just seemed an awkward thing to say.

8. Really enjoying it so far, reminds me of Irvine Welsh. He wrote Trainspotting and some other books usually about some truly despicable members of society in Scotland.

9. 125 pages in and just now have got a grasp on (most) of the characters. Really great so far though.

10. Lewis

I started reading the sample, but it just didn't captivate me whatsoever. :/