1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Perks of Being a Wallflower

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by hopelessrose, Sep 30, 2012.

1. hopelessrose

Out Status:
    A few people
    Has anyone read the book (or seen the movie, it's out now in big cities in America and I think in Canada as well) The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky? It is one of the greatest pieces of literature I have ever read. Ever. I'm so excited to see the movie!
    (It's right up there with Harry Potter in my list, if that tells you how good it is. :lol: )
    If anyone here has read it I'd love to discuss it with you guys!

2. mm11

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I just finished reading it not too long ago! I can't wait to see the movie, but it isn't playing anywhere near me for now.

I think what makes it so good is that it's so easy to relate to. It sums up the high school experience surprisingly well, and Charlie is just a fascinating character to see it all through.

3. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

I read it in my sophomore year and I loved it! I'm excited to watch the movie and see how it comes out.

Sadly, I tried finding the book and I have no idea where it went D:

4. dreamcatcher

I've been dying to read this book and watch the movie but it's always checked out at the library! :/

5. WillowMaiden

WillowMaiden Guest

I read the book and enjoyed it. I'm sure the movie will be good for what it is.

But I don't agree with the casting. Logan Lerman as our main guy? Too tall, too pretty. At best he just looks like a cute oddball in a suit. He's not an actor that can pull off introverted and sad wallflower, especially physically. He's a confident guy, which isn't a bad thing at all, just not right for this role. He stands tall and smiles a lot. He's not withdrawn into himself like the boy in the book, I can tell just from the trailer. ALSO, Emma Watson as the cool girl that takes our main guy under her wing....sorry miscast, I think. Emma is more geeky girl than cool-out-there girl. She's tiny and sweet faced. I hate to say it, but maybe they should have gotten someone more slutty looking or more womanly looking at least (not to say that I think the girl in the book is a slut, but she did read as tall gorgeous "confident woman.") Emma still has sweet girl face in my eyes. She basically needs to be playing Logan Lerman's part. :lol:

Anyway, I'm sure the movie will still be good for what it is, but I'm just not feeling the cast. The only person I do feel is a good pick is Ezra Miller. But Watson and Lerman should have traded places or the casting people should have at least found a boy version of Watson (or they could have found a Michael Cera-esque--not M.C.--guy to play the role.) But, eh whatever. Looks like a good movie that like most movie adaptions of books, will put their own spin on these characters and situations instead of just copying what's on the page to the screen. And I can totally respect that. :grin:

6. mm11

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Yeah, I also feel like Logan Lerman is a little bit of a weird choice for Charlie. He just doesn't have that awkward side to him that I feel like we need to see. I love Emma Watson for Sam though! She seems sort of perfect for it. Granted, I'm biased. I just love Emma Watson, haha

7. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think everyone is perfect.
    I imagined Charlie to be smaller and Logan seems a lot older than he should be but after watching the trailer and clips about a billion times and hearing him do a voiceover or two from his letters I think he's absolutely perfect.
    Mary Elizabeth is perfect, Alice is perfect, Brad is alright.

Honestly Bill seems like the only one who is off but I love Paul Rudd so I guess we'll see.

8. caughtbywitness

One of the best books of all time, I reckpn, just finished reading it for the second time, going to see the film thursday.

It's one of those books you don't want to tell people you've read because it's so personal to you; your qualities or weaknesses are in it, but it is so quotable.

9. Been meaning to read it, with the stack of books I've got to read I probably won't get to it until the film's fifth anniversary DVD comes out.

10. Thandrami

I just saw the film and was BY FAR the best movie I have ever seen. It was happy, sad, funny it had everything a movie should to be a great movie. I have never cried so much throughout a movie in my life. Go see it. Its not even an option it is a MUST see.

11. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

So, so, so good! All of it was just perfect! It was just genius <3

If you read the book then you MUST watch it!

12. Bebop

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I plan on getting and reading the book at some point but I don't know if I should watch the movie and then read it or read it and then watch the movie...

On a side note not knowing much beyond the name of it I got the feeling Keir Gilchrist should been the main character. It was weird.

13. i think im the only person who thought this movie was 'average'.

it was good just not amazing.
    im reading the book now though and the book is better than the movie!

14. Lani

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I read the book a few months ago.. I read it in a day because I couldn't put it down. I want to read it again before I see the movie, I don't think it's out in Australia yet.
    Bebop, I would recommend reading the book before seeing the movie :slight_smile:

15. quicksplash

Out Status:
    Some people
    Waiting for my library hold on it to clear. Next copy to be returned will be mine! Off tangent; I owe library like 12 bucks now.

16. Mukatsukun

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Book was fantastic; loved the movie. Emma was lovely, and it was to see her as someone other than Hermione.

17. Brenny

I never read the book (wanted to) but I did recently see the movie. I have to say, it was very well acted out and I thought the main characters were very endearing. The intimacy of the movie was probably my favorite thing about it. It all felt very realistic. The movie broke my heart, made me incredibly happy, broke my heart again, and then left me with hope. Very relatable, and very touching. Probably the most touching movie I have seen since seeing Prayers For Bobby.

18. SohoDreamer

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I loved the movie. Definitely a contender for my favourite film of 2012 (It's currently top, although Moonrise Kingdom and The Master make for competition) although there are many films I haven't seen yet (Silver Linings Playbook, Rust and Bone, Killing Them Softly etc.) that may be.

Anyway, it was beautiful. The soundtrack was PERFECT, especially the "tunnel song"! I thought the performances were great (not so sure about Emma Watson). Ezra Miller has a really bright future in film, he was excellent in this, and also City Island and We Need to Talk About Kevin.

19. caughtbywitness

Amazing book, good film, Logan Lerman & Emma Watson are some of my favourite actors/stresses (mainly because they feature in my favourite book-to-films but also because of they are sexy pieces of hotness.

Logan was too confident to play Charlie, however.

20. hail1989

hail1989 Guest

I really loved the movie!
    It was so moving and just honest and incredible!
    I completely agree with the breaking your heart, and healing you, then breaking it again. And of course with the hope. It was such a beautiful movie!