1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Prayers for bobby link to YouTube. For gays and straight

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Alexander69, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Alexander69

This is a must watch movie. This movie makes me cry for days it is very sad but very relatable for many homosexual teens like myself, I've never thought about suicide though thankfully ❤ this movie is about a boy named Bobby Griffith Who is gay in a very religious family who's mother won't except him because of being a "homosexual" Bobby feels extremely unwanted and uncared for in his family due to their strong religious beliefs. I will warn you that bobby does kill himself so be prepared for that, because the first time I watched it I almost had a heart attack and cried fr a long time because you grow a bond with bobby almost as if you knew him because you can relate to him. I would recommend this movie to anyone who is having problems in their life to to there sexuality or family problems because of your sexuality. Im posting this link for those who wish to watch this AMAZING movie, and this movie isn't just for us gays it is also for straight people and I strongly suggest if you are a parent on here and don't know how to react to your child's sexuality to PLEASE PLEASE watch this film and understand how hard it is to be gay and how sad it feels if you don't except us.

YouTube - Prayers for Bobby (must see, especially parents who have gay son)

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is a great movie! It's been talked about here many times, but there are always new people who haven't seen it who will be deeply touched by it. And it's worth saying again... it's a true story, based on a book (which is also worth reading). Bobby's mother is still actively involved in PFLAG, continuing to share her wisdom.

3. Alexander69

I'm watching it right now again and balling my eyes out :frowning2: poor bobby :frowning2: :frowning2:

4. rg93

Watched it, pretty good movie. :slight_smile: Big recommendation!

5. Alexander69

its AMAZING I love it I cry my eyes out :frowning2:

6. O_Negative

Guh thank you. I love this movie. So sad...so good.

7. Aielar

I just ordered the book from Chapters last week, so hopefully it comes in this week sometime :slight_smile: But yeah, the movie is so sad, I cried my eyes out after watching it the first time :frowning2:

8. MichaelB

It's a really good film but at the same time, I wonder if the message is really appropriate.

I don't want to be a downer, but *SPOILERS FROM NOW ON*, he commits suicide despite being in a loving relationship and bright proespects in life simply because his mother doesn't accept his sexuality? I'm not sure if it's the right message to send to the homosexual community.

9. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well... it's a true story. And I feel like in many ways, the story is aimed at parents (it was originally on the Lifetime for Women network, after all). I don't in any way think that it sends the message that suicide is OK, nor did he kill himself because his mom didn't accept him, it was (at least from my interpretation) much more about his inability to accept and love himself as God created him, and his struggles with his religious beliefs.

We have plenty of stories that are positive and have happy endings, but at least this one has a positive ending to the effect that Bobby's mother acknowledges her shortcomings, and does something that has a lasting impact on the world. :slight_smile:

10. caughtbywitness

Need to get the book, I chose The Meaning of Matthew over it last time. Good book. :slight_smile:

11. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There are people who need to hear this message. When I first came here, I thought that being gay was a sin. I thought that I was going to rot in hell. I never thought that I was going to be happy. I attended a homophobic church.. and I didn't have a way out. I was the youth president. I didn't get out of it until I went to college. (My parents were not involved in it, but many people in my extended family were).

Watching this made me realize that being gay is not a sin. It made me realize that I was not going to hell (and it even made me question my faith). So, I think that this movie is important. I think that this movie shares multiple messages. You're looking at one message out of the many in this movie.

12. MichaelB

True, but everyone adheres to the messages that relates to them.

My mother doesn't accept my sexuality. I'm estranged from her because of it. This film touched a soft spot for me because I honestly thought 'that won't be me'.

I'm glad it helped you, and I can totally agree that it has multiple messages that probably do a world of good for people. But I can't help focusing on that he had a wonderful life and he threw it away based on his mothers opinion. As someone who also has had a mother reject him, it's quite.. harrowing, I guess.

13. ArcherySet

ArcherySet Guest

A great message that will be lost on 90% of the people who (aren't LGBT) watch it.

14. MrHojalata98

*SPOILERS* And if you watch the movie again it shows that when bobby is close to committing suacide and is more depressed than usual he sees his boyfriend running out of a bar with another guy...

15. This Movie gave me emotions :tears:

16. RachyAnn

I just watched this movie yesterday. And I got really angry at the beginning, then cried forever after he tells his mom she doesn't have a son then. D: made me think of this girl...and her dad not accepting her