1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I just want to Thoreau up…

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Caudex, Oct 9, 2012.

1. Caudex

Caudex Guest

Help me! I have to read Walden and it's the most boring book ever! I just want to Thoreau it in the trash. It's so boring I'm sick.
    Bad jokes aside, how do I deal with having to read a boring book?
    I would put this in the entertainment and media section, but this is the opposite of entertaining, so I'm sticking it here.

---------- Post added 9th Oct 2012 at 06:44 PM ----------

Why was this moved to entertainment? Walden is by no definition entertainment, as I said earlier?

2. castle walls

Under Entertainment and Media it says
    It was probably moved because you're talking about a book, in this case Walden.

I absolutely detested Walden with a passion and I love literature. What worked for me was taking notes as I read the book. It forced me to pay more attention to what I was reading and later, when you're studying, instead of skimming the book you can read your notes

3. Zontar

It's okay. Many of Thoreau's contemporaries had no idea what the hell he was going on about either.

4. Byron

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Smart man, good ideas. Too bad everyone who listened to him long enough to understand what he was talking about died of boredom soon after.

5. Caudex

Caudex Guest

Thanks! I tried that and it helped greatly.

6. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's a Dickens of a problem to have, but it's one of those things you just have to sort of work your way Thoreau. I think if Hugo and take a break every so often, get out of your Holmes and walk around in the Wilde, and have a couple of Bierce, you'll find Hope and won't just be Aiken to get through it.

But seriously... as uninteresting as some of the classic literature is, I've found that if I stick with it, maybe take some notes, and think about what I'm reading, there really is some value, especially since it tends to make us think in a more leisurely way than what we're typically used to in this frantically paced world.

7. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'll just add some things to it to spice it up.

"I had three pieces of limestone on my desk, but I was terrified to find that they required to be dusted daily, when the furniture of my mind was all undusted still, and threw them out the window in disgust. Then I drew my laser gun and shot them all into atoms before they hit the ground."

"In any weather, at any hour of the day or night, I have been anxious to improve the nick of time, and notch it on my stick too; to stand on the meeting of two eternities, the past and future, which is precisely the present moment; to toe that line. And then, once perfectly balanced there, I want to toss my stick in the air, do a few back handsprings, and then nonchalantly catch the stick as it comes back down. Wouldn't that be awesome?"

"I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion. Unless the velvet cushion had a winning personality and an amazing ass, in which case I wouldn't mind sharing him."

Lex

8. Sartoris

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Apparently he has Hawthorne in his side.

Haven't read Thoreau, yet, unfortunately but I was disappointed to see the reaction. Lately I've been very interested in this era of literature and have been enjoying it very much, even if I don't get some of the more obscure references [often classical, historical, mythological allusions.]