1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Book/Film/Poetry Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Raliaell, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Raliaell

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hello.

I just started a new subject at my high school which requires a major creative composition as the primary focus. The topic about which I write is entirely up to me, as is the form (I think I'm going to write a series of short stories). I've decided to write these short stories chiefly about the concept of suicide, and am planning to address questions about whether suicide is justifiable morally, ethically, religiously, pragmatically and theoretically (about which I will take up my own opinion (although a discussion about these ideas would be welcome and very helpful :slight_smile: (remind me to use more parentheses in my posts))). An investigation of the events that lead up to a decision of suicide, the event itself, and responses from various people after the event would be a point of interest, as well as the character’s outlook on the world. It would also explore different perspectives on suicide and the world.

Therefore, I would be greatly appreciative of any book, film or poetry recommendations that you think may aid my vision. I have read novels like The Virgin Suicides and The Bell Jar, and am looking for anything that may raise an important question about suicide, or just be relevant to my idea generally. I am also required to keep a journal documenting my progress throughout this project, which will include reflections on how the texts I've read or watched have informed my piece.

Thank you.

2. Well, this probably isnt a great book to read but "Looking for Alaska" by John Green is a deals with suicide.
    It's also one of my favorite books of all time.