1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Digital or CD?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Lark, Oct 27, 2012.

1. Lark

Lark Guest

Now, I'm a biiiiiiiig music fan, and until about two years ago bought almost all my music exclusively on Itunes. However, about two years ago, I picked up Adele's 21 album off the shelf on HMV, and now almost exclusively buy music in CD form. Just something about having it stacked up on my shelf, in a physical form, does something for me.

I've now become mildly addicted-in fact, I bought three CDs today, and I'm playing Halcyon on my Sandstrom music system right now. :grin:

So, what's your view, EC? Digital, CD, vinyl, tape, personal big band, Braille, or whatever else floats your boat?

2. qboy

Used to have loads of CD - a minor earthquake a few years ago threw them all off the shelf though so all the cases broke - at that point I started my mass conversion to MP3 format and the last one I bought on CD format was From Under The Cork Tree around 2007. Since then been MP3 all the way (seamed rather pointless ripping them to the computer and putting them in the rack to gather dust after that!).

All my CDs and Cassettes are now converted to MP3 format :slight_smile:

Actually starting to get a fair bit of video too - mainly music videos on there own, but some longer programmes - e.g. "hosted by FUN." from gotv österreich and "Adam Lambert - All his music videos" from Buz Musik, and the BBC Electric Proms from a few years back.

3. Adarya

CDs

For some reason I am never able to keep my Itunes or IPod working (my Itunes has been deleted numourous times, my IPod has broken with all my music on it, etc.) so I have found it better to get whole entire CD's that I can listen to anytime and put onto my IPod over and over again. My IPod isn't able to get new songs on it at all at the moment (some virus, idk) so CD's have been coming in handy lately, although I still listen to most of my music off of my phone because I'm able to have Youtube on it.

I'm a huge fan of music too and I do prefer CD's for the most part.

4. NoName114

NoName114 Guest

Digital, I've have had too many coffee spills, stepped on accidents and random cracks on CD's (mostly thanks to other people) with Digital I can make the music mostly immortal

5. Jared

My whole collection is digital, the last time I bought a CD I was probably 11 or 12. When I got an iPod it seemed pointless to get CDs to just rip them and put them somewhere never to be seen again.

6. Sartoris

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    For the time being, CDs [though I don't have very many at the moment.] Honestly, even though I've owned one, I have never used an iPod... :icon_redf

7. Digital since I'm on my computer most of the time
    however I do want to get some CDs for meditation and maybe for social get togethers.

8. I try for Vinyl when I can. I think they have a warmer and fuller sound and then I can get a vinyl rip to play on my computer to get the best possible sound. Also they look cooler on the shelf.

9. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm a digital music person. I lose CD's too easily. Plus I am always on the go, so it's good to have all my music with me.

10. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

Since I get most of my music by ripping it off of YouTube videos (because I'm poor), 99% of the time I go digital. Very occasionally I'll get a CD, but that's usually because I'm buying a local band's CD at a concert, or I just love the music so much that I want to have it in some physical form.

11. Lance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Digital. I haven't bought a CD since the early 2000's. The deck in my car doesn't even have a CD slot since it's a "digital media receiver" and only plays through USB or AUX, lol. I love having so much stuff on one little iPod or USB stick.

12. Kyllani

My iPod doesn't respond to anything anymore, so I'm straight CDs now. I just purchased 5 yesterday! My car seems to be overflowing, though. So, perhaps it's time for a new iPod.

13. SimplyJay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    For reasons of quality - buying CD is my preffered way to obtain music, especially since most of the time I'm listening at home (I can always convert to MP3 if I want to make it portable/put it on my MP3 player)
    Digital is fine MP3 files are free (I'd never pay for a file of any type)

14. Suffocation

Ah, I love to buy CDs, but I usually pirate my stuff. But if the CD is from a band I really appreciate, I buy their physical CDs.

15. Level75

CD. I know it's irrational, but I just like having something tangible.

Also, iTunes doesn't always have the music I want.

16. qboy

Hmm, My car is overflowing of CDs which are full of MP3s :lol: Had to do a refresh recently when I realised the newest one was five years old! Never keep the genuine ones in the car as I've seen too many nicked over the years.

Oh, and BTW CDs are Digital!

17. Artemicion

I'd go with both if possible, but usually digital first and if i feel like the album is worth physical space, then I get the CD.

Sometimes it boils down to the sampling rates ... but that's technical.

18. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

Digital, but I try to only use lossless file formats so I can have cd quality. Same thing for when I archive the old CDs I still have.

19. DryOasis

DryOasis Guest

Mostly digital, but there's something about having a physical copy of rock/ alternative bands that appeals to me, so then I get their CDs.

20. timo

Vinyl. I bought my first record two years ago, even before I had a record player, but I'm hooked ever since.

It's like you're really playing the music instead of just smacking a button. It looks cool when it's spinning but also on the shelf. I like supporting an artist by buying their music, especially when they're not well-known and can use the money. And it's cool to collect limited/coloured/otherwise unusual vinyl.

I do download all music first and only buy stuff I really like though. Don't want to spend 20 euros on a record only to find out I don't like the music :grin: