1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Battle Royale

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by darlig ulv, Oct 30, 2012.

1. darlig ulv

Any BR fans out here? If so, what do you think about the similarities with The Hunger Games and a possible CW mini-series?

2. Silver Sparrow

:slight_smile: I love Battle Royale! There is going to be a miniseries?

3. darlig ulv

Yeah, the CW is talking about buying the rights to it. It seemed like something HBO or Showtime would do, but I'm curious about it. The movie rights to a US version were sold in 2008, but the release of Hunger Games effectively killed the chances. Not many people would understand that BR was published first and think that it was just a rip-off. But a movie could be released in ten or fifteen years.

4. sunnii

I saw this on film 4 and I thought it was quite creepy (I find Japanese media creepy overall tbh) but I saw it till the end. It's funny because my sister told me all about The Hunger Games when she was reading it and I was like "that's just battle royale"

Btw how awesome is the song in the credits?

5. Emberstone

shirley jackson wrote it first as 'the lottery' back in the last 1940's. just read that one for my lit class. south park also did an episode about that story too.

6. GingerGuy

The book is amazing but the manga is even better. The plot might not be the best one out there, because it's very cliche-ridden, but the art and emotions invoked during the pages of the manga are top-notch. It's a shame j could not complete. The movie, though, is rubbish compared to the other two. I did not think it did justice to its source material.

Is the minisseries thing true? I hope so, but it would be better if if was an original story instead of Shuya Noriko and the rest. I've read the manga way too many times to be surprised or shocked by anything that happens lol