1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NaNoWriMo 2012

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Emberstone, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Emberstone

Who is doing it, what is your title, your genre, and have you done NaNo before?

National Novel Writing Month for people who don't know what NaNo is.

I am doing it, i have won twice, but done it a few more times than that, but not in a few years. the title of my novel is 'The Strand', it is in the genre of Literary Fiction, and it is and adult novel dealing with homophobia, racisem, the decline of small town econamies, and jounralistic integrity.

here is my synopsis:

"Fresh from her college commencement, newly minted journalist, Samantha Coulsen, sets out to make her mark in the world of newsprint. However, when her shark of a new editor finally sends her out on her first big scoop, to report on a mysterious murder in a small, rural town in eastern Oregon, little does she know that the story will make a mark on her. Sage, Oregon is a blink-and-you'll-miss-it sort of place, a blip on the map with a train station that shut down with the local mill, a main street just merely holding on, and a seething, dark undercurrent that threatens to tear the small community apart.

Set in the stifling hot summer of 1972, 'The Strand' explores things often swept under the rug, or else spoken of only in the strictest of confidence. For the residents of Sage, the mysterious drowning of a popular youth is only the beginning, and in this small town, secrets have already proven deadly."

2. Gen

Gen

Urgh, dammit guys you cant post this here. :C

I really want to write, but my courseload is just too high for me to dedicate the time. I'm even planning on working on a few short stories since I wouldnt be working on my series for a while. Though even those will take more time than this. I'm jealous :frowning2:

Side Note: I think that is a solid synosis ^_^. Writing thillers are always fun.

3. Robin

I was going to do this, but I ended up doing a creative writing study in school instead, and I'm going to be writing my novel for a grade instead of for nanowrimo. I can't write two books at once sadly. :lol:

4. Sartoris

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not doing this, so perhaps I shouldn't be commenting, but I've been aware of this competition for some time and have been interested in the challenge of it. However, I've never written little or have never completed a short story, let alone anything even longer than that.

Just the same, I have to ask how do those who participate prepare for this? Do they just take a germ of an idea and run with it or do they try to plan an outline in advance?

Maybe if I had the confidence, and energy, I'd consider giving it a whirl in the future. :confused:

5. samizer0313

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I miiiiiight do it but it depends on if I get an idea really soon.

6. Parzival

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    First attempt, going to try a semi post-apoc space adventure called 'Guardians of Infinity' ^^;

probably won't finish it, but will have a go anyway ^_^

7. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I doubt if I will get anywhere with it, so I'm just going to try to at least write every day, even if I don't meet the goal.
    I signed up like a month ago thinking I would have more time that I do.

8. Emberstone

Sorry Ethan, but one of my three narrators is named Ethan, and he dies before the start of the book. Please dont take it personally.

I have 758 words from 30 minutes of writing last night at midnight with my region-buddies. I only have outlines for the first five chapters, and I want to get to chapter four, because it is the first time I write from Ethan's perspective. It is a fun scene, because I re-tell is later towards the end from one of my other narrator's perspective, and it reveals the full scene, revealing the relationship between the two.

9. DanD

I saw this on Smashwords, and a couple of other writing websites.

I did have a brief think about whether to participate or not, but in all honesty I have too much going on already.
    I'm just past the halfway stage in editing my first novel, written in the first person. And I'm about a third of the way through my current novel, all about pills.
    I'm also co-writing a sit-com, so, I just don't have the time.

However, IF I gain the publishing deal I'm wishing for I'll enter next year.

Best of luck to everyone that enters.

10. CalebCael

I'm really trying to come up with ideas. As I've never done it before I'm crazy excited to give it all a try. But I'm also really nervous. It's hard for me to bring myself to put myself out there when it comes to these sorts of things...

11. Fluffy Bunny

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I just started NaNo WriMo in my Literature class. i'm writing about some rebel teenager with really conservative parents. i was thinking of making him bi but I don't think that would make my teachers really happy.

12. caughtbywitness

Never have the time, or commitment. Writing is tough.

13. Emberstone

dropped my first story, and decide to go with one more deeply plotted. i have that one to 1980 words.

14. Spirit

I'm doing some work on mine right now! I'm writing about how a two Detectives screw up the investigation of a death threat, it sounds grim, but I'm having a bunch of fun with it. I've even managed to add an LGBT aspect to it, the female detective starts dating a lady cop who was mentioned in the death threat. (The cop makes it out intact.)

15. Romi

Oh yes. I'm most certainly doing this. We have to make sure to encourage each other to do our best!

16. Emberstone

my nanowrimo has changed. it is not about 50k words, it is about a chapter a day, writing 5-6 days a week. I have an estimated 22 chapters in this book judging by my chapter by chapter outline. I did chapter one yesterday, which clocked in at 3,777 words. I am extremely pleased with how the chapter turned out; it reintroduces the character, touches upon what happened in the first book, sets up what happens in this, the second book, and throws us headlong into a action scene. it just seems to work well. I have written rough drafts of if it over the last few years, but it never felt like it was right where it needs to be, and now it does, and finally, I can move forward and dabble with the rest of the book.

I am writing it in a linear fashion, beginning to end. it is so deeply plotted out that I dont need to write the ending first or anything, because I have that carefully planned.

17. Parzival

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Aah, changed mine as well

Going to be a historical fiction based on the era of sohei/tamabushi power in feudal Japan ^_^

18. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Decided not to participate this year, as originally intended, even though I already had an idea what I could write about, and all the threads that could come from it and be woven together. Might still use it though to motivate myself to write more. :slight_smile:

19. Burgie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm doing it :slight_smile: My title is Magic and Romance (I couldn't think of a good title and still can't think of one), my genre is fantasy, and it's my second year doing it. This time I've decided on doing a rewrite of an old story that I like the plot of but don't like how I originally wrote it. It was about dragon-like creatures but now they've turned into fae and there's royalty, wars, romance, everything exciting that wasn't there or wasn't touched on much in the original.

I'm trying to write freely this time and not worry too much about huge plot-holes because the whole point of nano is to write without editing, and I've gotta admit that it's so much fun!

20. Markio

I had never heard of NaNoWriMo until a few days ago, and it sounds amazing! Unfortunately I've just been hired for a new job and I'm dedicating most of my time to learning all the new procedures.

I'm thinking of writing a novel as a New Year's Resolution for 2013 instead. November isn't a convenient month for me...