1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wreck-it Ralph

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Level75, Nov 3, 2012.

1. Level75

So I've made no secret about my enthusiasm for Wreck-It Ralph and I took the opportunity to see it today. It was...a little underwhelming. It's most disappointing that the story seems fairly cookie cutter which is almost forgivable by the fact it's Disney. But it's serviceable and well told enough. Most of the cameos you see in the trailers were just about the full extent of those you see the movie. So the truth is that the easter eggs are very sparse.

Which is Ok because it used its selling point to take a lot of disparate elements and put them together. Seeing a tough-as-nails FPS character exploring a candy cane racetrack world seems a little odd, but it works. Not to mention the in-jokes and references to common video game tropes feel like they were written by somebody who actually plays video games, as opposed to some hack who still thinks gamers are unhygienic nerds with OCD who stay home alone all the time.

And Fix-It Felix Jr is just the most adorable thing ever.

#1 Level75, Nov 3, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2012
  2. Artemicion

I enjoyed the movie. I personally wasn't expecting too much out of the cameos as it would of probably taken way too much to get it coordinated together. I was quite surprised that they even managed to get all the companies to put it all together in one film - I bet they had a team just to talk to the different companies to persuade them it's a good idea to do so.

But I found the environment to be pretty well fleshed out. There are some plot issues, but otherwise the story was enjoyable. In-game jokes are well done as said be Level75. The characters all seem "well-developed" in a sense, at least for me they were considering that some of them have a background of being just 2D low quality sprites.

3. Ventus

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I really enjoyed it. Probably one of my favorite Disney films. They did a good job at pulling on the heart strings of the audience.

4. beyondb1rthday

Out Status:
    A few people
    I really wanna this movie xD will see it in the weekend~

5. Ventus

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
  6. Markio

I had a rough week at my new job, so I promised myself I could see Wreck-It Ralph as a sort of reward for making it to the weekend. I really loved it! For some reason the movie made me really sad: Ralph and Vanellope were so lonely and rejected by the others! Full disclosure, I would totally make it with Ralph. Or at least give him a big hug. :grin:

7. jvn95

I first saw the preview for this movie in July went disney released the preview on-line.

Did anyone else get a huge heart throb from Ralph? (blushes)

I would watch the preview over and over just to see him.

Haha, I haven't seen it yet though, I really want to.

8. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I honestly didn't feel much of a heart throb of Ralph (although he did remind me of a few of my friends), as I TOTALLY felt like Vanellope.

Now yes, the story did feel a bit square. BUT

The characters were obviously what the writing team worked on the most.

I fucking HATED Turbo. He's honestly worse than Vader. He's worse than Willy Banks, which says alot. I'm sure Dalek Caan is also more understanding, and probably less vain than Turbo.

*shudders*

Eeeuuugghhh, Turbo.

Now THAT's a well-written villain.

I do have to say, I can't dislike Felix. He's not an ass, at all. And with him mostly being the comic relief character, I enjoyed about every bit of his awkwardly positive personality.