1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"I had a stroke and woke up gay"

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by TheUndiscovered, Nov 6, 2012.

1. TheUndiscovered

There's a documentary on YouTube where this who lives in the UK fell down a hill and it gave him some kind of stroke. If I remember correctly he was in a coma for a month or something like that..Anyway he woke up and was gay and while he can't remember barely anything from his past life many people say that he was straight. His personality before the stroke was very different and the whole documentary is about him trying to solve the mystery if he was turned gay from the stroke.
    Do you guys think this is possible, that someone can have a stroke and the brain can change so drastically that not only the person's general behavior is changed their own sexual orientation has been altered as well?

2. Lewis

I saw this documentary. I personally think it's bullshit. He woke up out of this coma as some really flaming, flamboyant over the top gay guy...it's just too far fetched for me. I think he way gay before, but it just took him being in an accident to realise it and be himself.

3. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i think that many people resent the whole concept and for that reason want to believe it's bullshit in the absence of any real reason why.

Sure it's possible, the brain's infinitely mysterious. If you're going to flat out claim it's bullshit, you'd better have a good reason why.

4. Suffocation

He was always gay, but just didn't know it. The stroke made him realize who he was.

5. Gold Griffin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hm, have any neuroscientists seen this story? They might be able to give a better picture as to how severe of personality alterations a stroke could cause. I imagine it would have to be immense to be able to change sexual orientation though. If it hurt his memory of his past life, perhaps it simply damaged the memories he had of trying to suppress it?

6. IanGallagher

I'd say stroke = near death experience = revelation, "oh shit, I could die at any time and my life would be a life... time to be me before I die for real this time!" Basically it seems like the stroke changed him the same way a nde would anyone.

7. Delta

I'm not gonna pass judgement on something I haven't seen, but I think it's completely plausible. Strokes have the ability to change people into completely different people. My Great Aunt had a stroke that completely changed the way she treated people around her, and not for the better. If it can change a kind person to a mean one, why not a straight person to a gay one?

8. aeva

I think that the brain is insanely complicated, and we'll never be able to tell for sure.

I do think it's possible, I just don't know if this was the case with this man.

9. Level75

Intellectually, I'd rather not pass judgment and believe it is very possible to change your sexuality as a result of brain trauma. There are instances where people have changed preference in music or completely changes in personality as a result of brain trauma of some sort.

But my gut feeling is this story is a load of BS. Mostly because of the fact he changed from a point by point example of a straight stereotype to a point by point example of a gay stereotype? That strains the limits of coincidence, at the very least.

I'd sooner believe that the stroke removed some of his inhibitions.

10. jvn95

I think it's very possible for him to have changed from the stroke.

It's hard for me to believe though, I think that the memories held a life of suppression and denial. Someone can act as "straight" and pass off to others. giving others the impression he wasn't gay.

Who knows.

11. madi

I don't think it changed his sexual orientation. I think he was either in the closet before the accident or is faking it for attention now. I could see slight personality tweaks occurring, but not something as large as his orientation.

12. Zontar

I guess it caaaaaan happen, strokes have done strange things. But his quick and overly enthusiastic embrace of gay culture tells me that this was something in the making for a while.

13. TheUndiscovered

I for one can't completely dismiss the story. The brain is such a complex thing we haven't begun to explain things about it and if he says that he turned gay I will lean towards his side. The way I see it is that we all say to people that we're gay and we were born like this and there are people that say that we are straight and we're just crazy or whatever. The stroke could've caused some part of the brain to die and the neurons found a new pathway which could've perhaps interfered with the part of the brain that dealt with sexual attraction and maybe it was switched? Maybe he was just hiding it and because he had a coma and forgot all about his past life he also lost the desire to hide who he really was.

14. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wouldn't even say realization, I would say he knew he was gay and used the stroke as a way to just finally be himself rather than him only realizing he was gay after the stroke. But that's just my thought.

15. Ticklish Fish

But unlike sexuality, you can't repress a music taste or personality... can you?

"Let's repress my bitchy personality?!"

16. leer

this got a fair bit of publicity in the uk media tabloid watched the tv and thought biggest load crap av ever seen .

17. i agree :3:eusa_clap

18. Deaf Not Blind

well, hit yourself on the head and get straightened out!

19. TheUndiscovered

Omg I made this thread so long ago. :astonished:

20. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    called it, a lot of people not wanting to believe that it is even possible and therefore refusing to, with absolutely no good reason.

Think moar, people.