1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adobe Indesign -> PDF Tech help

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Micah, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Micah

Hey guys!

I have a problem which is really beginning to irritate me! I am doing some design work for a company, and recently convinced them to switch to Adobe Indesign instead of Microsoft Word, however one requirement they have is that sections of the document must be linkable from outside.

Meaning: I need to find a way to setup links in the PDF using Indesign.
    Example: I can open the document at Chapter 2, rather than opening the document, and having the user scroll to chapter 2.

I have looked into destinations and hyperlinks, and theoretically it is possible to link to a "destination" within a document. However, I am having problems setting up those destinations to begin with.

I have looked at the Adobe online help yet that doesn't appear to be working. It's really wracking my brain and wasting a lot of my time I could be using to design.

Any help would be appreciated :bang:

2. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Micah,

1) Choose the object you'll use as an hyperlink.

2) If needed (that is, if you have named pages or want them) create an hyperlink destination by right-clicking the object you chose, and go to Interactive > New Hyperlink Destination. The dialog box is rather simple.

3) Right-click the object again, and go to Interactive > New Hyperlink. There you can choose the target and type of target (page, text anchor, URL) and some other options (appearance, zoom, etc).

That is what I found. I have very little experience with InDesign - I'm much more used to QuarkXPress and Scribus (what I use for Full Spectrum), which is designed after QuarkXPress.

Hope this is of any help.

3. Micah

Thanks Fred =D

I'll give that a go and see where it takes me =]

4. jroakwood

we use indesign at school to design the yearbook. :slight_smile:
    but sadly, i have no idea how to help you.