1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stephen King

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Mitchell, Nov 9, 2012.

1. Mitchell

Who else is a fan of Stephen King? I am now reading his book "Insomnia".

2. pancake111

I LOVE him, and his books. I'm seeing him speak at Umass Lowell in December. I'm so excited.

My favorite book of his is definetly the Shining.

3. Just1Dude

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I love SK as well! I loved watching/being scared of IT when I was little, but when I read the book when I was a teenager it blew my friggin mind. I started gobbling up all of his books and the corny movies lol. Big, big, big fan!

4. Drakey

Stephen King is only one of my favorite authors in the world!!! :grin:

5. Suffocation

God, he's my favorite author. I just started reading "It", and just finished the part with Adrian Mellon and Don Hagarty. So sad, and frightening.. especially for me. lol

6. Drakey

careful with that book, many scares ahead

7. Sherri

IT is probably my favorite of his books. And I've read something like 60 of them now.

At first I couldn't handle a lot of his writing techniques, because he can be quite overly verbose, but as I got through more of them and became used to it, I actually found it comforting xD. Reading a SK book is like coming home now.

There have been a few I really didn't like. I've noticed that there are two groups of Stephen King fans: Those who love Dark Tower and don't read the other stuff, and those who love his other books and don't like Dark Tower. I am in the latter group. I read all of DT, but I didn't like it at all.

The best thing about having read so many SK books is going back and re-reading your favorites and seeing all these connections between the books. Like at the end of The Tommyknockers, a guy is riding back into the town and looks into the sewer and sees a monster clown and thinks he's just seeing shit. You know he isn't :wink:. He writes about a lot of towns close together, too, so it's like this giant history thing going on. Loooove it!

8. Cassandra

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Yep, King fan here!

I never considered to have a "favorite" writter before, until a friend asked me wich one was my favorite. Then I tought, and discovered that almost the 20% of my book collection (a pretty big one) has Stephen King/Richard Bachman on it's cover; so I had to chose him as my favorite one.

I remember that I wanted to look for his stories after I saw IT and The Langoliers on tv. Having said that, there was only one short story that is at fault for liking SK: Here There Be Tygers. I read it on a ebook web, and that alone made me jump from my seat and go to buy any SK book I could afford.

You forgot the third group: Those like me, who likes every piece of King's universe. I absolutely like any of his thrillers, his horror stories, his fantasy ones, and even the hard crime ones too.

The universe Stephen King has created is much more bigger than any other I've seen , and it's told across ALL his work.

9. Hard Candy

Hard Candy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I love Stephen King! Though I sometimes have issues about his endings and the way he's too indulgent in writers as characters, I admire his gift of making things that may not sound scary if done by other authors, turn out completely horrifying. He plays the dark abyss of human mind quite well, so the stories may be fiction, but some parts are relatable, and that is quite scary.

10. Just1Dude

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You just mentioning that part gives me the shivers and goosebumps lol!

11. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sometimes I get into his stuff.
    I couldn't finish the Gunslinger; there was something about sex with a wind spirit or something and I kind of gave up after that. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

My favorites of his are definitely The Stand, Gerald's Game, and Dolores Claiborne.
    Interestingly, they are probably some of his less-supernatural and all-out scary books.

Gerald's Game still makes me scared, just thinking about what happens. :slight_smile:

12. Tombgeek

Tombgeek Guest

I do like him as an author. He's not my favourite, but I did really enjoy The Green Mile and 'Salem's Lot. I also enjoyed It as well, but the scene near the end kind of ruined the whole entire book for me.

13. Xeno

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like Stephen King's books, my favorite book would definitely be Insomnia.

14. FollowtheFreeman

My mom is a huge fan and has all of his books, so obviously I've read quite a bit from him. And I do very much enjoy his work. Especially The Gunslinger. That book is so freaking good. Unfortunately I stopped reading halfway through the fourth book in the series and have yet to finish it.

I've got to say, though, that I've never really cared for his characters. Don't get me wrong, they're strong three-dimensional characters, but... they all come off as perverted geniuses to me. If that makes sense.

15. Juggalo

I've been reading King since kindergarten (my grandma taught me to read at a very early age). I distinctly remember reading IT while the rest of my class was learning how to spell dog. Always loved most of his books. The Dark Tower series is the best thing I've ever read, and this is coming from someone who reads at minimum 3 novels a week.
    If you like King, may I also suggest the author Brian Keene? Keene became my favorite author instantly. He has a multiverse/tiers of existence thing going on, similar to the familiar themes found throughout most of King's work. Keene also has a zombie book where the main character is gay. I was pleasantly suprised.

16. Hazel

Lisey's Story was one of my first, and is probably my favorite. It's not King's normal fare, but it's a very human and a very heart-wrenching piece.

Otherwise, I love his short stories best.

17. Juggalo

I love all of his books, but the Gunslinger is such a hard novel to trudge through. Its writing style is so..I dunno. Vague? The series pick up incredible steam a few pages into the second book, slows down around the fourth, and the start of the fifth takes a bit to get going but once it gets going you can't put them down till you're done. I can count the number of times I remember crying on both hands, and I pretty much bawled at one point during the series. They really suck you in.

18. theMaverick

I've read a bit of Stephen King, and the most memorable story I've ever read was N. It was published in "Just After Sunset". Creepy as hell. Otherwise, every Stephen King book I've read is too long and dry. He gets way, way into the details. In "It", there is a scene where he is describing Pennywise, and I swear he takes two whole pages to do nothing but describe him/it from head to toe. It's really vivid, and I still get goosebumps when I think about it (like right now) but it's too much detail for my liking.