1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some Anime Suggestions

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by ShadowDragon, Nov 13, 2012.

1. ShadowDragon

Hai everyone! I was just looking for a new anime to watch since I need a new one. Im really into the darker kinda depressing animes though I do have a soft spot for some romance animes. I just finished watching Vampire Knight which I really liked a lot. It was a perfect mix of everything. I really want to see a anime thats no longer than 30 episodes. If you have any suggestions please tell me :3

2. mickie newton

Ooooooooooh!! Here's a good one. It's called 'Death Note.' It started as 12 Manga books which are excellent and was made into an Anime series. If you can find it give it a go. There are two live action films, but the Anime are by far better and closer to the manga. Death Note is also only one single series of I think 13 episodes.

Death Note DVD Search

It is available as a box set, which will work out way cheaper than buying individual discs :icon_bigg

---------- Post added 14th Nov 2012 at 02:02 AM ----------

Excel Saga is also great. It's comical, dark and incredibly silly! lol

Trying to think of more! lol Found someone asking a similar question and people listed some here: Anime

---------- Post added 14th Nov 2012 at 02:11 AM ----------

Blood: The last vampire is an excellent Anime movie. Action from the get go :slight_smile:

For the really big Anime series like Bleach I tend to look out for the movies. Bleach has about three I think. I'd love the series but it's just too big!

Akira is an amazing film and was my first Anime. There's also Ghost In The Shell that can be both funny and dark. It consists of two series, neither are big and three films.

If I can think of anymore I'll let you know :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 14th Nov 2012 at 02:14 AM ----------

Oooh thought of another :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Vampire Hunter D you're better with the second film Blood Lust as it's better animated and a better story too.

3. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just started watching Sakamichi no Apollon and it looks promising. It's only 12 episodes and so far seems to have promise for a relationship story. There's an adorable bromance so far and lots of neat jazz music.

For a depressing anime, watch Puella Magi Madoka Magica. It sounds like a typical magical girl anime but by the end of third episode your jaw will drop and it all gets better (as in darker :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:) from there. It's also only 12 episodes.

Ano Hana is one that's only 11 episodes. It's full title is Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae o Boku-tachi wa Mada Shiranai but people just say Ano Hana. It's about a group of friends who have grown apart after the death of their friend when they were kids. It's really sad but it's amazing and the characters are fantastic.

If you want a fantastic, slightly depressing, movie watch Tokyo Godfathers. It's made by the late Satoshi Kon, aka basically a god of anime. The film is nostalgic, fantastic, sad, happy, and everything in between.

Also, I'm pretty sure Death Note is 37 episodes. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4. Bolin

If you want real depressing, watch "Tokyo Magnitude 8.0". You will be crying buckets by the end.

5. vyvance

Serial Experiments Lain. Has to do with suicide and stuff, so don't watch if that is a concern for you.

Speed Grapher is fairly dark.

#5 vyvance, Nov 13, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2012
  6. Hiems

Have you watched Junjou Romantica? The genre is romance and comedy. It's about the lives of three different gay couples. There's a lot of intimate moments mixed with humor here and there. Also, it's not long series btw - only 24 episodes. I enjoyed it a lot :slight_smile:

Here are some other suggestions for anime:
    - Fate/stay night: It's very action driven. It's basically about a war between people called Heroes. They are given Servants, most of whom are figures from various mythologies. It's an excellent series. It was so good that the creators even made video games for it too...
    - Shakugan no Shana
    - Persona 4: The Animation
    - Ouran High School Host Club

7. Bebop

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Seconding Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 for depressing and Serial experiments Lain and Madoka for dark.

For other dark series you could try Ergo Proxy, Kaiba (don't let the art style fool you) or Kino's Journey which can be dark at times.
    For just plain sad the Flanders no Inu movie is majorly depressing.
    For romance; 5 Centimeters per Second (not a typical romance per se) or you could try Nana.

8. mickie newton

Have you ever seen Grave of The Fireflies? Oh good grief...From the get go you know the kids had it and boy do you cry!! You're crying buckets :tears::tears::tears: ALL the way through! :lol:

If you look on Youtube it's on there dubbed in English :slight_smile:

#8 mickie newton, Nov 14, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  9. Kat kanu

elfen lied
    angel beats

10. RueBea85

RueBea85 Guest

Fruits Basket!

And I totally second Death Note, loved watching both of these animes!

11. jeweledweevil

Out Status:
    A few people
    Basically everything by Leiji Matsumoto... Galaxy Express 999, Captain Harlock, Endless Odyssey SSX....

12. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

I strongly reccommend Fate/Zero if you're a fan of dark/depressing/actiony/supernatural type shows. I noticed somebody suggested Fate Stay night already. Zero is the prequel to fate stay night that I'd encourage anybody thinking about giving the series a shot to watch first, because it's more engaging in just about every way. The characters are much more interesting, mature, fleshed out and all around fun to watch interact with each other. The battles are Epic simply put, the animation quality is brilliant, voice acting is top notch... i really couldnt find a single thing to complain about the whole show except for maybe the first episode which drags on a bit. It picks up almost right away afterwards though.

Otherwise you can't go wrong with

Death Note - a personal favorite of mine

Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood - not dark/depressing all around but it does have its moments. It's a great balance of all sorts of different character types and emotions and abilities which all conflict for a rather spectacular experience. Though it is 60ish episodes long, surpassing the limit you want by quite a bit.

Darker Than Black - pretty much as dark as it's name suggests

Baccano! and/or Durarara!! - kind of confusing storylines but with loveable characters and tons of interesting plot details that all tie neatly together in the end. Though they're both a bit silly Baccano is probably the darker of the two.

Puella Magika Majoja Magijaiajgsahyrtsaherysdangufxwbdhasdvf - Magical girl show which someone else already explained and spelled the name of right, so I wont even try.

13. Skyline

Fate/Zero and Puella Magi Madoka Magica are two of my favorites which have already been suggested. Figured I'd at least raise the rating on those. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

14. narwhals

narwhals Guest

Death Note is 37 episodes but all are available english dub and sub on Youtube. It was absolutely phenomenal.

Elfin Lied is 13 episodes and also really good. Definitely worth watching.

15. IllusiveRannoch

well, i just started watching anime, & utterly fell in luvs w/ Naruto. it's reached 10 yrs in production w/ over 200 episodes, believe it :lol:. i want to watch them all.:thumbsup:

16. Luxury Yacht

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm a little late to the game but I have a few suggestions too.

I second Darker than Black & Fullmetal Alchemist to infinity. Also try Deadman Wonderland for some HEAVY shit. I'm not going to say you're too young, but you have been warned. Hellsing is a delightfully overwrought gore-fest with a vampire named Alucard, so make of that what you will (I prefer the manga, though). For comedy I'll always have a soft spot for Martian Successor Nadesico. It's a comedy that spoofs a lot of mecha conventions, but with a surprisingly deep story, also 24 eps. Oh, yes what about Cowboy Bebop or Trigun for more classics?

For movies, staples such as Akira and Ghost in the Shell have already been mentioned. You MUST see everything by Miayzaki, no excuses. Also try things like Perfect Blue, Summer Wars or Paprika for some really eye popping visuals. Millennium Actress is a wonderful drama about a time-traveling actress? Better than it sounds.

God I have a bad habit of rambling. Anyway, the end.

17. Minx

"Dennou Coil"

It's amazing, and so hard to describe.

Mystery, drama, suspense, slight comedy. It's just (!)

18. Phil

Phil Guest

Sakamichi no Apollon is really great!
    Chuunibyou demo koi ga shitai - Funny and have a great end.
    Jinrui wa suitai shimashita (Humanity has declined) - so much fun and a lot of WTH moments. It is also a little crazy and sarcastic lol.

These three are the kind of anime that you may want to stop at the first episode, but it gets so much better. Totally worth it.