1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dexter, episode 7.08 "Argentina"

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by PerfectInsanity, Nov 19, 2012.

1. PerfectInsanity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Tonight's episode highlighted one of the reasons I fell in love with this show and indirectly identified with the character of Dexter Morgan, namely the character's struggle with keeping his identity secret. I started watching the show when I was in the closet and gearing up towards coming out, and this internal struggle that Dexter deals with (e.g. always feeling like he is a monster and needs to hide who he is) was something that instantly drew me in to the series.

At the end of the episode Dexter has a conversation with a mobster wanting revenge (Dexter killed his lover). The mobster, who is gay, relates the similar struggle the two of them share being outsiders that always have to pretend to be like everyone else when they know deep down they're not. This scene, along with the various other great elements of this episode make it one of my favorites of the entire series so far.

I love the ending inner monologue that Dexter provides: "Everyone wants an Argentina, a place where the slate is wiped clean. But the truth is Argentina is just Argentina. No matter where we go, we take ourselves and our damage with us. So is home the place we run to, or the place we run from? Only to hide out in places where we're accepted unconditionally, places that feel more like home to us. Because we can finally be who we are."

Anybody else watch it?

2. WillowMaiden

WillowMaiden Guest

I love that quote.

Regarding Hannah-- I feel happy for Dexter despite knowing this girl could lead to more trouble. Every season we watch him looking for love and acceptance even when he may not realize he wants it and thinks he's just this emotionless guy with a dark passenger. It's so obvious Dexter really does want a person to truly connect with and it looks like Hannah might be that girl. What crap storm shall unleash because of it one wonders...

Now, let's talk about Deb's big reveal: How do you feel about it? I was wondering when she was gonna confess all that. I find it funny that she is more hurt that he is with another woman than him being a serial killer. I think if Hannah hadn't become this important to Dexter and he killed her for Deb, they wouldn't been headed for something Flowers in the Attic-like because Deb signing off on Dexter killing marks the beginning of her accepting him just a little bit. But now with Hannah in the picture, it's like he cheated on her with another, better woman that also knows his secret. She feels rejected and that hurts more than her repulsion for what her brother does.

Hmm...how the plot thickens.

Also Quinn...the fuck, bro?? Just keep digging yourself deeper and deeper with this shit. I just shake my head at him. So disappointed.

3. SunSparks

:O I'm procrastinating my paper due... today =\
    Anyways, I watched it - I really loved that quote as well. And the little gay moments they have put in throughout the entire series - I love the support.

Also, I feel Willow stole the words out of my mouth - I completely agree with all the things you said.