1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV Shows that made an impact on you.

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by theMaverick, Nov 19, 2012.

1. theMaverick

I'm aware this has probably been beat to death around here, but what tv shows made an impact on your life, had some effect on you, whether it was with an LGBT storyline or not?

When I was in high school, before I understood why I had the feelings I had, I ran across 2 shows, South of Nowhere, and Degrassi, and while it wasn't until 2 years later that I first started to struggle with myself internally, these shows are the shows I credit for my...awakening? I guess that's what you could call it. It was the first time I had ever seen gay and lesbian characters on television, and I realize it was just tv, but for a kid with feelings he didn't understand, these shows were groundbreaking.

That was 5-6 years ago. I've struggled alot since then, but I came across today where I can watch SoN online! Hooray!

Other shows that had an impact on me
    Weeds
    South Park (freaking love this show)

2. Juggalo

When I was a kid, I was watching Roseanne and they said the word gay. Don't remember the specific episode. Maybe there was a snake? I was very young. Anyways, I was a very literate kid, and I would always ask around about words I didn't know the meaning of. Once I found out what gay meant, I knew it was me. Roseanne will always hold a special place in my heart.
    Can't remember the show's name, but it was a british show from BBC/PBS. Main character is named Ms. Bucket, but she absolutely insists its Bouqet. Her relationship with her son always reminds me of my relationship with certain family members, as she just doesn't seem to get it, and just completely blocks it out. There were also several other BBC type shows that made me realize it was ok to be who I am, but it was so long ago that I just don't remember any of their names.
    And finally, Glee. Just..makes me happy.

As for other shows that affected me, I grew up watching Mystery Science Theater and shows like The Tick or Sam and Max. I think those shows are responsible for my sense of humor.

3. theMaverick

Glee is an amazing show. It makes me feel so good about myself no matter how I'm feeling. I think the earliest recollection I have the hearing the word gay and it being discussed in any sense was in elementary school. There were these two metal poles on the playground, they had no real purpose. Everyone called them the "gay bars". (<--- this makes me giggle now a days) No one would walk through them because they didn't wanna become gay. One day I got tired of it and walked through them just to see what happened. And nothing happened, of course. Back then, I didn't know what being gay or bi was, and I didn't care. I proudly walked through the bars.

Trip down memory lane over.

4. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Guest

Definitely Glee, Freaks & Geeks, & Doctor Who.

5. Markio

Degrassi: The Next Generation was the most informative show for me as I entered adolescence. Marco's whole storyline was so new to me, and so affirming, that it probably saved my life later on when I began to seriously question my sexuality.

Pokemon was the only other show that I was emotionally invested in as a kid. I would say it impacted me in the sense that I would spend so much time dreaming about Pokemon and imagining what it would be like if they were real. So the show taught me to have an imagination.

6. theMaverick

I watched Pokemon...and I had the cards and all, but I didn't really spend too much time on it. It wasn't until my late teens that I really got into tv.

7. NothingOriginal

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Adventure Time. The show has fun, unconventional and interesting characters, a mostly cheerful atmosphere yet with sad subtext, complicated relationships, and I like the rapport between Finn and Jake. Before season 4, I cared only about the romantic stuff and never cared for Jake as a character but now I can appreciate the episodes about adventure and Jake's one of my favorite characters.

I think Pen Ward's work will have an some sort of influence on my stories. :slight_smile:

#7 NothingOriginal, Nov 20, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  8. Maunglwin

Yea, DEGRASSI really inspired me to come out to my best friend. It was back when Riley & Zane were still in the show, it made be realize how free & happier i would be to not hide myself which was straining my energy n making me so depressed & antisocial. I was then motivated to seek further help & motivation to start accepting myself. I started watching LGBT movies & shows such as GLEE.

There's another show that came out this fall called 'The New Normal', I'll paste the synopsis below:
    A chemistry-free but loving but gay couple wants to have a baby. Somewhere in the Midwest a young single mother is ready for a change, up to and including being a surrogate if the money's good. Oh, and her mother spews ignorance. And there's a reality star in it. What more do you need to know?

9. I'd say The Wire for me, It's initally about the drug trade in Baltimore but slowly peels back to show aspects of the ports, politics, media and even the education system. It goes SO deep into every one and so deep into people in general I actually do look at certain things COMPLETELY different after watching it. It does all of the above while still maintaining excellent writing, acting and Breaking Bad levels of intense-ness.

10. Average Joe

I'm not sure if I understand the word "impact" correctly... Anyway, the first show that came to my mind was Six Feet Under. I discovered it only a year ago or so, but got hooked from the very first episode. I don't know why, surely not because of the gay theme - it was just a nice bonus to the plot. Although, it was very interesting to see Michael C. Hall portraying the gay character, especially after having seen him play Dexter before. Two completely different roles, both played really well. Just goes to show how good actor he is.

Oh, and the last episode of the show just blew my mind. One of the best endings I've seen.

11. Valkyrimon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Doctor Who, simply because it's well-written, fun and is a surprisingly good pick-me-up. Pokemon and Digimon have bundles of nostalgia for me and Fullmetal Alchemist hits me right in the feels every time I watch it.

12. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's a good question! :slight_smile:

I'm always emotionally susceptible when I turn on the TV, so shows get under my skin pretty easily and later influence me in my daily life. I'll just make a list and elaborate where I feel necessary:

Perhaps I should warn you, the majority of my list is sitcoms (and recent ones at that...) And I know I'm leaving some out, but I watch lots of television. Apparently I have memory issues too, since I can't recall lots of old favorites... What was I posting about again?

Roseanne - I love sitcoms. Forget the groundbreaking content, I'm hooked simply by the humor and delivery. My sitcom will be heavily influenced by hers. And I can quote the final monologue verbatim.

Scrubs - So many emotional endings, blended very well with well-written humor.

Xena: Warrior Princess - This show was my childhood obsession. Don't ask why, because I'll never know. xD

Victorious
    The Golden Girls
    New Girl
    30 Rock
    Nip/Tuck
    Raising Hope
    Queer as Folk - US version - This show thought me all about issues than some gay men encounter when I was younger. It was very informative and inspiring. The characters were multi-faceted (mostly) realistic representations of what the modern gay man is or can be.

Frasier
    Absolutely Fabulous
    Ellen
    The Ellen DeGeneres Show - Who isn't impacted by her?

Oh gosh. More to follow, I'm certain.

13. FollowtheFreeman

LOST: the first television show that I watched all the way through and even cried during. When I watched the last episode I felt like a piece of me died when I finished.

My Little Pony: this show is just... the fandom is... the people I've met are... words cannot describe how this show has impacted my life.

14. The Simpsons: Had a few gay characters that helped me grow with a positive view on LGBT people including me.

My little pony friendship is magic: when I started watching it I started making friends in general which soon lead to me figuring out my own sexuality.

15. Cascade

Magic School Bus definitely made me interested in science when I was young so it can be blamed for everything.

I'm also willing to say that Seinfeld shaped my sense of humour and helped me overcome depression in grade 9.

I think Thomas the Tank Engine influenced my morals to always make be the best I could and Star Trek The Next Generation gave me hope for the future.

16. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Degrassi TNG when it was good (Seasons 2-6). Desperate Housewives, I realize this is odd to say but for some reason despite it empowering women, it also for some reason helped empower me, plus Ryan Carnes, Jesse Metcalfe and Shawn Pyfrom were extremely cute. I also loved watching Incredible Story Studio, I found it really helped with inciting my imagination and also my writing.

17. madanesor

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    shameless! Survivor, greys anatomy, modern family.

18. alwayshope11

19. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I told you I'd forget some :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::

The Muppet Show - It was already in re-runs when I discovered its magic, but I give them full credit for my creativity. To this day my greatest ambition in life is to sing a duet of Baby, It's Cold Outside with Miss Piggy.

The View
    The Cosby Show
    Parenthood

I'm sure I'll have even more to come... xD

20. CTJ

CTJ

I was heavily invested in the Stargate franchise. Mainly because it was pretty much the only thing me and my dad had in common. I have fond memories of sitting with him once a week from the age of 7 to watch it. It was a fun show that didnt take itself seriously and was something i looked forward to week after week. I was incredibly depressed when it finished, probably more for the fact that my only link with my dad was finishing with it.

Like alot of you, i do enjoy Glee as well. I suppose it made an impact in that it was the first LGBT friendly show i watched and it made me realise that i shouldnt have to try and change, it led me to start trying to accept myself.