1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NEW Led Zeppelin release in December!!! Anyone else majorly excited about this?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Katelynn, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Katelynn

Being an tremendously huge fan of Led Zep, I was absolutely knocked on my bum when I heard this past weekend that Led Zeppelin was releasing a brand new live album on triple vinyl on December 10th, with the home video having been released just two days ago this week on the 19th!!! This is the OFFICIAL release of the 2007 reunion concert that the surviving members did with Jason Bonham for the Ahmet Ertegun tribute concert that year.

From Wikipedia:

Celebration Day is a concert film by the English rock band Led Zeppelin, recorded on 10 December 2007, at London's O2 Arena. Prior to being released on several home video formats on 19 November 2012, the film was shown in theatres on 17 October. The performance, captured at the Ahmet Ertegun Tribute Concert, the film, and the home video album release have been widely praised.

The album was released in a standard edition consisting of one DVD or Blu-ray bundled with two soundtrack CDs. A triple vinyl LP will be released on 10 December 2012. The deluxe edition includes bonus video from the Shepperton rehearsals and news footage from the BBC. Additionally, there is an audio-only Blu-ray with DTS-HD MA 48 kHz/24-bit sound and no video. The concert will also be available through digital retailers.

The tribute concert performance was well-received. New Musical Express published that the show "prove[d] that they can still perform to the level that originally earned them their legendary reputation." Writing for The New Yorker, Sasha Frere-Jones opined, "the failed gigs of the nineteen-eighties and nineties have been supplanted by a triumph, and the band should be pleased to have done Ertegun proud with such a spirited performance."

The film has also received acclaim from critics. Marc Lee of The Daily Telegraph gave it five out of five stars and concluded that "Celebration Day is a celebration of rock 'n' roll at its most moving, magical and magnificent."

I dont know about anyone else here, but this is AMAZING news! While I enjoyed the Page/Plant reunions of the mid-1990s, this is the experience in my lifetime I have been waiting to hear! Having been born in 1975, I totally missed out on seeing Zep back in their salad days, the 1985 Live Aid reunion gig was admittedly lackluster &, for lack of a better way of putting it, awful & the Page/Plant shows, while great to hear & see, were not the same as the actual Led Zeppelin themselves. I realize this is only a live album, but at the same time, it's Led Zeppelin, it's newly released official material (which with official material from the band is sparse as any Zep-head is well-aware of), so I am still INSANELY happy to see this day come!

Celebration Day indeed!!! ZOSO!!!

(!) (!) (!) (!) (!) (!) (!) (!) (!) (!) (!) (!)

2. jargon

Ooh thanks for posting this, I hadn't heard the news!

Having not attended (sadly) or seen any footage of their reunion show, I'm a little guarded about what the performance is going to be like though - does it really at least register on the same scale as Zep in their days with John Bonham, when they were young and still creating? I know Jason's quite the accomplished drummer, but drums were my first instrument and Led Zeppelin was my absolute FAVORITE band back then, so I have high expectations in that department.

3. Katelynn

I actually went to Walmart tonite & bought the deluxe edition - 2 CDs & 2 DVDs & after having watched a bit of the DVD I can say yes, it is definitely worthy of the almighty moniker of Led Zeppelin. It was a very high-energy set & you can see that Plant really dug down to pull those vocals off at times, he's never sounded better doing the old classics! Jimmy is, of course, brilliant as always on guitar & Jason Bonham certainly does very well to carry on his father's legacy. Im sure there are already clips of the DVD up on Youtube if you are still unsure, but believe me, I already know that the concert film DVD will be living in my DVD player for a while lol

While the digital mediums were all released on Nov 19th earlier this week, the 3 LP vinyl edition will be released on Dec 10/2012 - exactly 5 years to the day of the reunion show!!!

4. SlickyPants

I went and saw the concert film in theatres back in October and enjoyed it for the most part. I don't exactly have the moolah for it at the moment so maybe I'll put it on the X-mas wishlist.