1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roots of art and modern culture concerning LGBT and feminism

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Robin Vote, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Robin Vote

Here are two (pretty scholarly) reads that I identify an intellectual part of my orientation development with.

Any other Modernists in the house? Or Literature/English majors, anyway?
    A little background for homo-culture and feminist theory anyone?

Try these:

Djuna Barnes, Nightwood

Hélène Cixous, "The Laugh of the Medusa" - for some fem. crit.
    (you can find this essay online - great stuff. especially if you like to read criticism)

Notes:

-I'm actually still reading Barnes at the moment. It's not exactly lesbian fiction exactly, but it was the first novel ever to concern clearly lesbian characters (among them the protagonist if she can be pinned down) without either subverting the issue into perversion or disguising it subtly out of demure. It's just there in the open. It's amazing how Barnes treats sexuality without blowing it up into the whole novel.

- I find Cixous a little overbearing in the realm of literary criticism, but she made her mark and it became a landmark.

Anyone have a similar recommendation? Film, novel, poetry, essay, theory...?

-Robin