1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"for the bible tells me so"

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by lexi, Dec 12, 2012.

1. lexi

lexi Guest

has anyone else watched this documentary? Its on Netflix and Hulu i believe...

Thoughts?

I think it really helped me come to terms with myself, and realize that God still loves me :slight_smile:

2. castle walls

I did watch it but it was a few years ago so I barely remember what happened. I do remember enjoying it and I did give it a good rating on Netflix though. If anyone enjoyed this movie, they should also look into Matthew Vines

3. SkyDiver

I've never seen it, but now I want to. :slight_smile:

4. lexi

lexi Guest

I definatly reccomend it! It shows alot of catholic/lutheren/religeously envolved families who find out their kids are gay... Some of them learn to accept it right away, some of them dont accept it and then later regret treating their children badly over it.

It also has an interesting (cartoon) section about how gay is not a choice. and it also shows several examples of why God doesnt hate gays :grin:

Its got some arguments from both sides, and its great to see religious people who are accepting :slight_smile:

5. EarthBound

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I watched it on Netflix and found it very interesting. YouTube also has the full version available here.

6. zuckonit

...Am I the only one who cried watching it, then? :icon_sad:

7. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I watched it recently. If anything it just galvanised my distaste for religion.

It's good to see people turning from evil into good, but a crying shame it takes (in at least one case) their child's suicide to do it.

8. lexi

lexi Guest

For me it was more about the idea that God would accept me, rather than the idea that religious people would accept me

9. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Watch some Chris Hitchens, or maybe Doug Stanhope, it's even easier if you can manage to abandon the notion of god all together :wink:

(my tongue is in my cheek, i'm aware that's not for everyone {much as i wish it were!})

10. cloudburn

Just watched this in a therapy session with my psych. It's an incredibly touching documentary, I'm going to ask my family to watch it when I come out to them.

11. TheUndiscovered

Really good blog. I thought it would be a homophobic documentary but it was very informative and touchy.

12. Hexagon

I don't see the need to involve a deity in the first place...

13. IrishLad93

Im not religious, I agree with Pseudojim. (R.I.P. Mr Hitchens)

but it sounds good for those that are.

14. SkyDiver

Well I'm glad that you've realized that YES, God still accepts and loves you more than you could possibly imagine. :slight_smile:

It's a good thing that God isn't anything like religious people. We'd all be in big trouble.

15. lexi

lexi Guest

Haha I totally agree :slight_smile:

16. I'm a little curious about it.

17. FunnyMonkey

I just watched it today, I was one of the lucky one's who had a very gay friendly church, but they never said any bad but didn't say anything good about either that I can remember. If anyone tell you that god does not love you for who you are that is a LIE!!!

I feel really bad for people who didn't have a church like mine growing up.

18. FemCasanova

In my mind, religion is between the deity in question and the individual in any case, other people really have nothing to say on the matter. It`s called personal faith for a reason. Okay, maybe it isn`t, but it should :grin: I have respect for religious people, as long as they respect my right to not be. And if a religious person makes a judgment on my sexuality, I`d invite them to my bedroom, just to provoke them :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Unfortunately, religious pushy-ness brings out my less good sides. So, I think, if I was a christian, I would want to believe in something good, because I ultimately think our good sides are what makes us human, and our capacity for compassion and empathy what seperates us from animals, who are driven (mostly!) by instincts alone.