1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aspiring writers?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Argentwing, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Is there anybody on here who loves writing? Not just fiction, but any kind-- screenplays, blogs, journals, fanfic, novels?

Right now I'm procrastinating from working on my sci-fi novel. I am so proud of it and think of it as a masterpiece, yet at the same time occasionally look at it as goofy, hopelessly broken and not worth finishing for anything other than self-satisfaction. Anybody else feel this way about gigantic, laughably ambitious projects?

I do have to mention that it's my first (and only planned) novel, with only nominal writing experience beforehand. I love it, though, and every so often an idea will come to me and I just feel compelled to whip up a scene or short story. Writing is everything cool about movies and games, except that the character you play is God, with all power over people, the universe, and time. It's intimidating as hell, but at the same time, really awesome if you think about it.

Anyway, just thought I'd throw the thought out there for anybody else who aspires to printed greatness. :smilewave

#1 Argentwing, Dec 14, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  2. Jim

Jim

Hi! I love writing, I'm not amazing at it and I don't think I would pursue it as a career per se, but I love doing it. I know exactly how you feel, I usually write fanfic, but I've been meaning to work on a novel idea I've had for years, I just get scared and don't know where to start D: my novel is fantasy, though I adore sci fi too.

3. Romi

We have so many of these threads. I can't even begin to explain it. But to answer your question....

I'm a writer. As far as types of literature that I tend to write, I'm very much a creative writer, whether it's fiction or non-fiction. My personality just doesn't allow me to write without putting myself into the piece. Also, almost every work I've written/am in the process of writing, has some sort of lgbtqi thread in it, whether or not its the overlay for the story itself.

I write novels, novellas, plays, screenplays, songs, freewrites, poems [though as of late these have been more slam poems than anything], and I also participate in textual roleplaying for AU forums.

And yes...the larger a project, the more hopeless I feel about it when I think about it too much.

4. Isabelle

I'm a writer and I write short stories and poems

5. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sorry if this is a duplicate thread, but I didn't see any on the first page. Would it have been better to necro an old one? :S

6. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

Me to

I love writing. Mainly like tv and film scripts but I've just started work on my first novel. Although I'm on the same position. I'm putting off continue writing it it. I really should start

7. Emberblaze

I just recently finished the second volume in my 9-10 part series ^^
    I went back and started re-reading/revising the first one again, and then I'mma go and do the same to the second one. I decided it'd probably be best for me to actually finish the first 3-5 books (COMPLETELY finish them, not just drafts) before I attempt to get the first one published.

Hell, honestly, it might be best for me to finish the whole series before I go to get the next one published. I always go back and change little knick-picky stuff such as last names of characters or something small like that.

And I love writing my thoughts down as well. I wish writing was a career I could fall back on and would supply a sufficient enough revenue to live off of. Lols aw that'd be great

8. Emberstone

I am halfway through the second draft of a YA/mid grade fantasy/adventure novel that is the first of a trilogy.

I am also playing around with an adult novel that is more of the literary genre.

9. RemyLeBeau

RemyLeBeau Guest

I've dabbled in a bit of poetry. My classmates enjoyed them, but I don't think I could make a career out of it.

10. theMaverick

I am. I don't know if it'll pan out, but I love to write.

11. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you everybody for the responses!

But you in particular Emberblaze, are you serious? You have my infinite envy if you've published even one syllable. Also though, do you have any publishing resources? I've heard it takes connections to actually be taken seriously, and it would be nice to have a good reference for when I've finally got something put together.

12. Emberblaze

Actually, I have no publishing resources whatsoever, now that I think of it. But that's thinking too far ahead! I'm starting what I can do today, and that's workin on gettin the books done to the best of my abilities.

But honestly, my mom's got a lot of "high-end" clients that she cleans for, and I'm certain one of them has the necessary connections. But still, i haven't tought about that yet.

I just gotta make sure my books are 100% ready when I go to get one published. My tenacity oughta show those publishers how serious I am ^^

13. 807

I have written a few short articles about Alchemy. And was asked to do some writing for a radio magazine a few months ago, but I have not written anything for some time.

14. Emberstone

The greatest skill a writer can have, according to alot of the authors I meet through school visits and bookstore readings, is that one is able to step back, and hold on to the book to be sure it is up to the best they are, at that time, capable of producing. You have the right additude.

I feel the same way. it took me 6 months to write my first draft, and I finished that well over two years ago. I am only halfway through my second draft, and hope to finish it this spring, as I took a while off before starting a serious second draft. I would rather put something out that I am proud of than rush something out I will regret later.

15. Scaramouche

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I am. I write a little (a lot) of everything. Fanfics, poems, short stories, etc etc... I love writing.

16. Gen

Gen

I have said this a few other times on here, but I am a writer. My true passion is novels, but I do tend to dabble in short stories or poetry from time to time. I am currently working on the first series I am planning to follow until publishing. It is a dark YA Fantasy and I couldnt be more proud of it. I see great things in this one ^_^.

As far as how I write... Well, I am a 'technical' writer, which basically means that I plan out all of the novels or series that I write thoroughly before I write them. Some writers just take an idea, open up a word document, and run with it. There isnt a write or wrong way to go about it. The reason why I plan out everything is because I like to have a good grasp on everything, the world and the characters, before I start so that I may incorporate their pasts and futures into their personalities and actions.

While writing should be for self-satisfaction of course, I dont see why we cant still stride for making a masterpiece in the eyes of others too. So I would say that if you are having troubles having faith in your work, than maybe it is time to take a step back and really think about where this is going. Ideas dont usually arise as gems, sometimes it takes a bit of extra thought.

17. gordilocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    i love writing, but am not as good at it as i would like :s. i would so love to be a politics/music journalist

18. Emberblaze

Yeah it took me one school year to finish the first draft of my first book, and I've re-read and revised it about five times and STILL ain't completely done. It's mainly the first few chapters that need it though

19. zydrateaddict97

I did Nanowrimo twice, but both times looked at what I'd done and decided it was terrible. I also occasionally write fanfic and poetry, but most of my writing is for my blog.

Emberblaze, good luck with getting your thing done completely right.

20. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I guess I'm going at a slow pace then, but it's working for me so far. This idea has been around in some embryonic form since about 2005, and I have a little over 20k words. Most of what I've written is 95% in its final version, however, so I'm feeling pretty good about the necessity for further revising. Good luck to you, and I'm open for you to send me some excerpts if you want a second opinion.

I've heard about people who do NaNoWriMo. Hardly anybody produces something they actually think is good, but it's a great exercise for fine-tuning your writing process. I've got to try it one of these years. :slight_smile: