1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CD Drive Issues

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Jeimuzu, Feb 21, 2008.

1. Jeimuzu

Not for me, but for an extremely cute guy who I'd quite like to date :grin:

He can't listen to or rip CDs to his computer. His CD drive runs DVDs, and Windows doesn't find an error with it. He's tried different CDs, he's tried different Media Players. I looked for drivers, but apparently Toshiba's are all generic by now, so Windows already should have them, and it's all standardised. :-/

Any hints, anyone?

2. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Do you have a different drive you could try? Reading CDs and reading DVDs uses different lasers or uses the laser in a different way, so it is possible for a drive to read DVDs but not CDs. How does it work with data CDs (such as the Windows XP CD or a software CD)?

My first approach to this would be to try a different drive. If that doesn't help then maybe try some different software rather then Media Player in case it's a Media Player configuration problem.

For playing CDs try WinAmp and select the option to associate with audio CDs when installing. It's freeware.

For ripping CDs try Audiograbber which is freeware and works well.

Good luck with the PC and the guy..... :wink:

3. Jeimuzu

I think he said something about data discs working as normal. I don't think he has another CD drive, sadly.

I'm not sure if Winamp will work, iTunes and Windows Media didn't. :-/

4. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What *exactly* happens or doesn't happen? Do the media players acknowledge that there are tracks there but just not play? After inserting an audio CD "my Computer" should list the drive like "Audio CD (E: )" and right clicking and go to explore should list a bunch of files like "track01.cda" does this happen?

Next right click my computer->properties->hardware->device manager

Click the + next to CD/DVD-ROM drive
    Right click the drive and go to properties

in the Properties tab is "Enable digital CD audio" checked? Try checking and unchecking it (Ideally should be checked).

Back in device manager go to IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers

Right click primary IDE channel->properties->Advanced settings

What does current transfer mode list? Should be something like "Multi-Word DMA Mode 2". From the Transfer mode drop down "DMA if available" should be selected. Is it?

Repeat for Secondary IDE channel.

5. tehnathan

Most modern DVD drives I'm aware of are backward compatible, meaning they read and write CDs.

It must be a really old drive! :[