1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Hobbit; hmm..

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Luke Matt, Dec 26, 2012.

1. Luke Matt

Other than Andy Serkis' reprisal as Gollum, I found the Hobbit to be really disappointing. Anyone else feel the same..?

2. gordilocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    i loved it :x

3. Yamato

I loved it but felt they had changed some parts of it for no reason what so ever, like the troll scene

4. Valkyrimon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I really, really enjoyed it! I like the way they're incorporating other aspects of the Tolkien universe into it. I think it's a great idea personally. There's far too much emphasis on films having to be exactly like the book. Sometimes changing what's great as a book can make it a better film.

5. NicoleV96

NicoleV96 Guest

I'm still deciding on whether it's worth it to go see it or not. Many people have mixed reviews, it really depends on the person's expectations for the movie, I guess.

6. I really loved it. This is coming from someone who hasn't seen the first three movies in about 7 years so it's not fanboyism I assure you.

7. Jim

Jim

I loved it! I thought it was awesome, and Martin Freeman was a perfect bilbo.

8. RainbowMan

A friend of mine on Facebook says that she got "an hour of sleep and a crinked neck" :grin:

Apparently there's just not enough material there. But I'm a live theater geek, not a movie geek, so I probably wouldn't see it anyhow. I honestly think that the last film I saw in a theater was Avatar with a group of friends (and a great movie it was!)

9. Kerze

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The Hobbit is my favourite book.
    The film was awful in so many ways I'm getting angry again just thinking about it. Why the hell are they making 3 movies that (judging for the first film) are going to be 70% details from Tolkien's other writings and completely made up bollox instead of just TURNING ONE OF THE GREATEST BOOKS OF ALL TIME INTO A MOVIE?

10. jvn95

I really liked the movie.

Way too many holes though because I have read the book...

Still a great movie.

11. Koalaman

I loved it! I felt they did the book justice (it was the first "proper" book I ever read). Although it could have been better in places. I've seen it four times already...

12. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Pacing and storytelling felt a bit "long-winded" - sets/costumes and special effects were impressive for creating a totally imaginary environment - don't think I'd pay to watch it again. So far not a fan of the HFR either. Disclaimer: I haven't read the book, and have only seen one of the previous movies.

13. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I enjoyed it for the most part. Some parts dragged a little but overall enjoyed it, especially the battle with the goblins.

14. Wndy

Wndy Guest

I have mixed feelings. On one hand I don't like how much they changed things, on the other hand I like the new story itself, and also I wanted to go all crazy fan girl over the music. And especially the dwarves singing.

I saw it opening night, one would think I would have figured out how I feel about it by now.

15. PicketFences

I loved it, in particular the guy that they cast as Thorin - not that I have any idea who he is, but he just seemed to portray the role really well. Although I may be a little biased, being from New Zealand, it seems to be a bit of a prerequisite that we love it. Needless to say in my opinion the scenery was amazing too.

16. Praetor

The movie was visually stunning and obviously a lot of love was put into it.

That being said, I feel what you feel. I thought I was alone in this thought, since everyone that I've seen it with liked it. I felt it was overlong, and I guess it had to be since they are turning a children's LOTR prequel book into a 3 movie epic.

The pacing had issues, and I feel it was not necessary to add in the bits not actually belonging to the Hobbit at all (see: Silmarillion).

This doesn't mean that I disliked the movie, I thought there were some parts that were very well done.

17. Given To Fly

I just got back from watching this long film about short people, and overall I enjoyed it. I'm not so sure about Martin whatsisname as Bilbo though - I just kept remembering scenes from The Office all the way through. I liked the preamble with Bilbo and Frodo, set just before the start of the first LOTR film. Bofur was played excellently by James Nesbit - wasn't sure at first, as the accent seems out of place at first, but it gre on me throughout the film.

Oh and Kili is kinda cute lol :icon_redf

Can't wait for Part deux!

18. zydrateaddict97

I enjoyed it. I would have preferred it if it was a bit truer to the book-they added in a tonne of orcs, great for backstory but I'm a stickler for accuracy to the books. I understand how they'd get two films out of it, not sure about three. It may have been a bit too drawn out. They did stay very true in little important bits though. The scenery/costume/setting/acting is really great. Kili and Bilbo are cute.

19. SA Boy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I went into the cinema with quite low expectations hearing the very mixed reviews but i really enjoyed it. I found it quite fast paced through most of the movie and found it interesting learning more about middle earth.

20. Fate

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It wasn't my favorite movie, but I am not a huge fan of mystical creature movies in general...
    I did find the part with gollum and his split personalities quite entertaining though....

End opinion: seen better movies but it wasn't bad