1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ping!

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Defraction, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Defraction

Like, as in the internet one. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Normally I have about 15-40ms through general internet browsing (using speedtest.net) but all of a sudden it's gone up to 500ms and it makes loading simple pages really frustrating. ¬_¬

I don't think it's spyware or anything like that. The computer seems exactly the same as it used to be. Just the sudden rise in ping rate, lol. :grin:

Hope someone can help. ^^

2. InaRut

I don't know much about ping.
    But I know alot about PONG!
    [​IMG]

The only thing I can think of is when is the last time you emptied your cookies and temp internet files...

3. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Do you have another computer in the household you can try (or can you get a friend to bring a laptop to try)? That would show whether it's a problem with the computer or the connection.

If it's the connection then you need to speak to your internet provider. Check their support pages first as it may be a known problem.

4. Steam Giant

Sorry, I can't really help, but I thought I'd point out...

Pong is actually the term for the reply to a ping, in techno-lingo ^^

5. Kimi

Hmmm...I smell spyware...

Although, I blame everything on spyware so I guess I'm not that helping here:lol:

6. SlickyPants

Do you have a wireless network? Maybe you're neighbour is hogging all your bandwidth?

7. Defraction

My internet is wired. :slight_smile: I've tried my dad's computer (we use a router) and the same thing happens on his.

I think I ought to mention I use...

*readies scary voice*

VIRGIN MEDIA!

So... yeah. I'll have to see about the router. (Not allowed to use dad's comp, it has a password on it that he doesn't think I know, lol :slight_smile:)

8. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Well you've confirmed that it's an internet connection problem rather than a problem with the computer.

I assume you've tried switching the router off and back on?

Try switching the router off for at least 30 minutes then back on. This allows the systems all the way back to your internet provider to realise you really have disconnected and it wasn't just a blip, so you'll have a fresh connection right through when it goes back on.

I guess the next step would be to try to get some sense from Virgin tech support. I don't know what they are like, but being a Virgin company I can guess. :frowning2: It could be worse though, it could be Tiscali... :bang:

One other thought: do you have a limited amount of bandwidth each month, or have you been doing lots of big downloads through P2P applications? With some internet providers, if you go over-quota in a month or they think you are abusing the service they reduce the speed of your connection to about dial-up speed. They would probably have emailed the account holder (your dad?) about this. To get it back you'd either need to pay the excess bandwidth fee or wait until the next billing month for it to reset. If the billing month is the same as calendar months you might as well wait a couple of days.

9. iPieman

Virgin Media is the bane of my life at the moment. I'm having so many problems with them with the internet.
    I've always been anti-AOL but I'm giving serious consideration to switching to them.

10. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

11. Defraction

I'll try mentioning to my dad about it... I hate talking to him about computers though... he thinks he knows everything when he clearly doesn't (and I do xD).

I've downloaded patches for a game through direct download and I got "throttled" but it became fine after that. I can't remember if I had this problem right after that... so that might be the problem.

dad often downloads torrent files but this has never happened before... like I said (I think) the internet speed is all good and stuff, it's just the ping rate having a sudden jump. So I guess if VM wanted to do something they'd slow the speed, not the ping.

Hmm... :confused:

12. Defraction

It's working now. Left the modem/router off overnight and it's all good now. ^^

Cheers!