1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This is hard to admit, but... I like 1D

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Argentwing, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know I've already probably offended people in voicing my musical opinions. What's funny though, in all my explanation of why I don't like pop and how older stuff is generally more soulful/meaningful, it turns out I do like some bubblegum pop, like One Direction.

It was pretty crazy when I found out. A year or so ago I heard "You Don't Know You're Beautiful" on the radio, and was like "wow, this is actually pretty decent for a mainstream song." By this point I already knew 1D was a band of cute guys who sang Bieber-type music, but when I found out it was they who sang this particular song, I was like ":eek: holy crap!" It's actually very high-energy, and surprisingly poetic. I mostly give it a pass on its weak repetition of "beautiful" because everything else is quite good.

Can anybody else share an experience like this one, where you find out you like a song or group that you would never have considered?

2. LiquidSwords

I know what you mean, I can't help liking their singles in spite of myself. I don't really love most pop music but I don't mind most of it either and every now and then a tune comes along that I love.

I've never been a Rihanna fan but I can't stop playing Diamonds, got to be one of my favourite songs from last year.

3. INTJ

Out Status:
    Some people
    Was I the only one thinking he meant First Dimension? as in 1D, 2D etc etc

Anyway now that I know its a topic on One Direction - I'll take my leave.

4. Gen

Gen

I'm only heard that "Thats What Makes You Beautiful" song and I have no shame in admitting, although it doesnt make any sense, it is a tad catchy. Though I am a fan of Nicki Minaj and everyone bashes her for having "nonsensical" music.

Honestly, I believe that people who make to a big deal about things like this need to get over themselves. All entertainment doesnt have to have some philosophical undertone. You would think half of the individuals criticizing the music of others spent all of their time studying Socrates and Shakespeare with Schubert playing in the background.(Granted I would do this ;D............... but I'm not going to argue that everything I do is for the growth of my intelligence )

This is Life. Have fun with it.

5. Salazar

[​IMG]

Hahaha. Hilarious.

6. IkeaMonkey

Admitting it is the first step. (*hug*)

7. FunnyMonkey

Thanks now I have that what makes you beautiful stuck in my head

8. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lol, I'd never argue that their work is transcendental or worthy of putting in a space probe or anything, but they are pretty decent, which is more than I can say for most current stuff.

9. BudderMC

It's probably single-handedly the gayest musical act I like. Except maaaaybe the Spice Girls, but at least I can chalk that one up to childhood nostalgia. xD

And, I find Niall really cute. I hold little shame in this fact.

10. ryanninjasheep

Same XD

11. Gen

Gen

Exactly. I love random catchy every once in a while.

Though now I am going to have those bastards dancing around in my head all night >_>.

12. silkfrog1292

Yep, I never liked Rihanna's music, but I absolutely fell for 'we found love' when I heard it on the radio. It's just soo good despite its retarded lyrics

13. jp16

I like a couple of their songs...but i don't love them.

14. BoiGeorge

BoiGeorge Guest

I cant stand 1D!!!!!! :O But I had a similar experience when I found out I liked the Biebs. I like his music, style and his ability to win over the ladies lol. I used to hate him and now I admire him

15. Niqk

Niqk Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't like 1D, I think they are very annoying. Especially Harry Styles and Zayn Malik or however you spell it.

I like the way LouisTomlinson looks though :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

16. Given To Fly

Never really listened to One Direction. I do find Justin Bieber attractive though. Am I beyond redemption?

17. Niqk

Niqk Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't like his appearance or his music personally. I've seen fake nudes of Justin Beiber which are a probable approximation of the truth.

Off-Topic: I do think Austin Corini is very good-looking however. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

18. Jared

Get away Budder, Niall is mine :slight_smile: lol

On to the topic, I really like One Direction, I'm usually not a big fan of pop, but I really like them for some reason. They're music is pretty catchy and most of their songs are good :slight_smile:

19. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, I agree, he is cute. Or at least was awhile ago before he put his hair up and now looks like a retarded Vanilla Ice wannabe. But that's for another thread.

It's funny to see people fighting over Niall. Looks like I'll have to compete with Niqk over Louis, though. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

20. TheUglyBarnacle

I'm not much into pop but a few straight hours of listening solely to 1D with my friend who is a huge fan of them has lead me to think they're decent. Mainly because I could't get What Makes You Beautiful out of my head for a few days. Not going to listen to them if I can avoid it though.

But I agree. Niall's cute.