1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

For the ones who love jazz: who's the best singer of all time?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by GingerGuy, Jan 9, 2013.

1. GingerGuy

Hello! I'm the oddball of my generation, loving to listen to things that other teens have never heard of, but since we, LGBTs, are already deviants in a hetero normative society, I don't see why we shouldn't embrace the awesomeness of jazz music as well. I'm so sad this genre is decadent today, with few notable interpreters and few people listening to it. So, for all of you who love jazz, there must be some singers you all know of.

I'm talking about the holy trinity.

Billie Holiday, Sarah Vaughan and Ella Fitzgerald. They weren't performers. They were divas. Specially Ella and Sarah. Both of them had fantastic voices, specially Sarah, but Ella wins the prize for me because she was able to both sing beautifully and to phrase all of her songs perfectly, to convey emotion.

Below these three, I love miss Peggy lee (the only woman whose voice could be able to seduce a gay guy like me) and nat king cole (also a fantastic vocal and person). No, I don't think Sinatra was anything special as a singer and interpreter.

What are your opinions on this?

2. Yui

Yui

I'll join your club - I'm an oddball as well, especially when it comes to music :grin:

Ella Fitzgerald is one of my favorites as well - her version of How High is the Moon is great and I'm really into Scat singing :slight_smile: I also like Dinah Washington and when it comes to todays singers Randy Crawford and Amel Larrieux :slight_smile:

3. Markio

I like to sing jazz so I'm more partial to the men who sing in my range. Current artists I really like are Kurt Elling and the New York Voices.
    [YOUTUBE]iXprs8-U5nA[/YOUTUBE]
    [YOUTUBE]JFWZzkXeQ84[/YOUTUBE]

4. DanD

I love Jazz. Listening to the drummin' of Buddy Rich, Gene Krupa, Papa Jo Jones, etc is awesome.
    Steve Smith is a living legend, and loves all trad Jazz music and drums.

I have a few Jazz albums, and Id say my favorite has to be Ella. And, I think Rod Stewart has recently done a duet with her vocal by using various studio techniques; haven't heard it yet though.

Now, if only we could all have a get together for Poker, Whiskey and Jazz, that would be such a cool time. (clothing optional):eek:

5. jp16

I like listening to jazz music because it put soul in my self, well jazz and blues actually.
    For me Louis Armstrong is the best i love his song called What A Wonderful World:slight_smile:.
    Billie Holiday is great also cause i have Summertime and God bless the child in my ipod.