1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why are there so many people who dislike One Direction?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by BillCozby, Jan 10, 2013.

1. BillCozby

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ok ive noticed alot of people dislike One Direction especially gay guys(idk about lesbians) but it seems like alot of people want to be "diffrent" and listen to indie music most of the time and if a person says they like 1D then they are considered too mainstream and are not "cool".Anyway im a 19 year old gay guy and I love 1D and its not because they are all really good looking but because they all have TALENT and they all are also really intelligent and nice guys.I guess its because they all look really young and alot of gay guys arent into young guys but idk. Can someone explain?(Also my music variety is very all over the place I like alternative music such as The Killers ,Phoenix,MGMT,M83,Passion Pit.I also love indie alternative such as florence and the machine,lana del ray,marina and the diamonds, and paloma faith.I guess the 1D boys have a place in my heart <3 :icon_redf

2. Given To Fly

Personally I just dislike manufactured pop, especially when it is put together by a reality TV show. I don't doubt they have talent, but they just ain't my cup of tea :slight_smile:

3. leer

no real reason apart from their Crap :eek: hides

4. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

Personally, I can't stand their voices, and their backing music is just as grating to me. Musically, they're just not my thing, I guess. Plus that "What Makes You Beautiful" song comes off as way too condescending and pandering for me to enjoy it.

5. Niqk

Niqk Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I dislike their attitude, the fact that they have no talent, and the media makes a lot of unnecessary fuss on a select two. Apparently Harry Styles can't even go in a bookshop without making the front page.

Where it not for the fact that they were popularized by many teenage girls, Justin Beiber style, they would have zero success, many far more talented singers got less media attention because they don't have the looks. With all due respect 1D is like 5 Justin Beibers rolled into a Beiber Bun. They can sing, but they can't sing that well.

Just my 2 cents :slight_smile:

6. They have talent, but I don't the sound of their music. I like bubblegum pop, and yes, I did like some of their 'older' music, from early to mid 2012, but now they're just singing about sex. :/

7. Bolin

I really don't like their songs or their voices. Literally every single Korean pop boy band I've listened to (even the ones I don't like) sounds better to me than One Direction. I'm just not a fan of western pop music in general, so that may be a factor.

8. sugarcubeigloo

I like them. :slight_smile: They're not my favorite, but I certainly don't mind the music. I'm a big fan of "to each his own." I'll listen to whatever catches my ear, and they've done it a couple times with their songs. However, some obscure musicians and everyone in between have done this to me as well.

As for people getting crazy about One Direction being over-sensationalized for profit... Yeah. They are. Its been that way for a while for a lot of acts. Fame is fleeting. The buzz about them will die down, and the industry will move on to the next big thing for everyone to either love or complain about.

Point is, people are going to love or dislike whatever they want and so should you. :slight_smile:

#8 sugarcubeigloo, Jan 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  9. FunnyMonkey

I like some of their stuff , but I dislike some of it also. People always say they "hate" someone for no real reason. I don't know they do it , but they do.

10. BoiGeorge

BoiGeorge Guest

I hate over manufactured boy bands. And their music sucks in my opinion. I just do not like them at all!

11. jp16

Well i like their songs What Makes You Beautiful and One Thing but i never really love them. I Love Cher Lloyd:grin: and i think she should have won The X Factor

12. MatthewJS

They may be cute, but they talk about girls and love, which annoys me. BUT if I see the true side of them like meeting them in person and they have a great personality, I will change my opinion.

13. Deaf Not Blind

And long before we were born the Beatles were real popular so a TV show was created with some guys they found and they called them the Monkeys, to make money off the boy band long hair fad. It was one of the many that were fake, but they may have had talent, and girls payed to see them.

Disney has done this for individuals, groom them to be pop stars from childhood. Mickey Mouse Club in 1950s had some who became pop idols as teens and young adults. And this continued with icons like Britney Spears didn't it?

Most music we know of historically had been altered to be cool and sell better. Bing Crosby, Elvis Prestly...many many others you have heard about had their own voice style, and were redone and made extremely stylized to gain money for their managers.

It is a good rarity I think today to find a band or singer who write their most of their own songs and got together on their own and have not been makeover much...and are good.

14. Zaio

Zaio Guest

I just don't like their music. I think the lyrics have no thought put into them, it's pretty much just the same love crap rephrased over and over to appeal to brainless teenage girls. The music itself is usually pretty bad. They have alright voices, but their voices aren't really my sort of taste.

All the best.

15. BillCozby

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Actually two of them (Harry and Louis) are gay and togethor :slight_smile:
    (!)

16. MatthewJS

Are you sure?

17. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Generic pop, which deserves indifference at the very least, and scorn because people miss out on truly great music while listening to this instead. Same for Bieber, same for Green Day, Lady Gaga, Nickelback, Ke$ha, basically anybody the play on the radio that isn't pre-1990* No reason they should get undue hate though. I do think they sound better than most commercial groups, and I've got a small thing for Louis too, so there's that lol.

*If you wish to contest my generalization of old music being 100% better, I'm open to it. It just makes things easy. :wink:

#17 Argentwing, Jan 11, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
  18. lepermessiah

Out Status:
    A few people
    Talent, they ain't got it

19. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

I tend to be neutral on most all of these types of bands/artists. Their stuff isn't really for me, but I find people who make a personal hobby out of hating them to be flatly annoying at the same time.

20. Harve

I'm not quite sure what your point is - just because something has, of course, been in the past doesn't make it any better or worse.

EVERY band is 'stylised' in some way, no matter how obscure or famous they are. Most of the time, it's to make themselves more appealing, and that may or may not involve money (the majority of bands/artists make a sort of music that really can turn a profit). It's about how see-through/meaningless/bland/whatever that image is and that is where some pop music fails. I wouldn't say One Direction fall into that category - their music is simply shit and like the music of so many other artists, isn't made to be pushing the boundaries or being at all interesting.

And I'd certainly disagree with that last point.