1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you like Astronomy?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by JasmineFirebird, Jan 12, 2013.

1. If you happen to like Astronomy topics or find interesting things about the universe, then I'd be glad if we could all talk about Astronomy. I'm not an astrophysicist, I'm just an amateur Stargazer just curious about the universe and how it works. It'd be fun to talk about topics involving stuff like Black Hole Theories, Relativity, The size of the Universe, quantum theory, Sci-Fi topics, the WOW! Signal, etc.

It'd be kind of fun If there are others wanting to talk about astronomy and learn stuff amd discuss.

2. lenon01

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    ALKSDJF;LKSJDLA

I love that stuff! I'm actually planning to go to college for physics, but my introduction to the sciences was definitely astronomy, which I would read about constantly in middle school. At this point I'm reading more physics books than non-fiction.
    Have you ever heard of Carl Sagan? There were some parts in his Cosmos series that I literally cried over. The way he explains everything is so ridiculously moving. I'm pretty sure he covers the WOW! signal and a bunch of speculation about life on other planets too.

And have you ever heard of Richard Feynman? I have a book of his on Quantum Electrodynamics that's actually really cool, but I'm having some trouble with parts of it because I only read it when I'm exhausted and half of it doesn't make sense (haha) at that point.

3. Jim

Jim

I love astronomy. I sadly didn't pick Physics at A level because biology and chemistry will help me get the career I want, but I wish I could have learnt more about astronomy in education.

4. Wow, I haven't heard of those two, but i did hear of Carl Sagan. I'll have to check them out today. Quantum Mechanics is amazingly confusing too, it's awesome though. It's cool you're taking courses in Physics. It sounds like fun.

---------- Post added 13th Jan 2013 at 08:21 AM ----------

You can still learn about it if you want. It can be fun learning it as a hobby.

5. 807

I have a passing interest in Radio Astronomy..It's just a fun way of using some of the kit I already have in a way that involves more than just chatting.

6. DanD

I don't know too much about this subject, but pictures I've seen are so beautiful as the universe is captured at various points in time.

7. inthedark4eva

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I love Astronomy....but sadly know very little on the subject. I know a few of the major constellations but that's about it. I've always been fascinated in Planetariums. I also love to sit outside at night and stare at the sky for hours.

8. Shadow7796

Shadow7796 Guest

I love astronomy! It is one of my few choices for college majors! It is amazing to learn about everything that's out there!

9. Oh nice, it's pretty cool. It's strange stuff overall, and it's fascinating. What's something that you like about it? I just learned about the theory about black holes and what goes on with them. Just stuff from youtube videos however.

10. Hexagon

I like astronomy, or more precisely, cosmology and astrophysics. The study of the night sky itself is a little limited. Gonna do a degree in them if I ever get round to it.

11. ameliawesome

12. NicoleV96

NicoleV96 Guest

I love astronomy. I actually would love to major in cosmology in the future. My knowledge of astronomy is not very advanced, yet, but I'm working my way there. For now, I'll just consider myself an amateur observer. I got to see the Geminid Meteor Shower last month, that was a wonderful sight to see. I was actually amazed by it, I sat on my roof for a good two hours. That's what really interested me, the fact that we're actually made up of what's in the sky. We're all part of something so beautiful, and that's wonderful. What's even greater to me is the fact that everything is expanding, and nobody can truly fathom the immensity and vastness of the universe.

13. CinePhys

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have a 4 inch refractor telescope and it's pretty good for just going out on a whim! Easy to set up with good resolution!. It's a Bresser Skylux, btw.

14. FranklinK

I'm an Aries! lol jk I love to sit out and watch the stars and try to name as many constellations as I can remember. Huge reason why I miss living in the country. You can see every star it's amazing.

15. BoiGeorge

BoiGeorge Guest

I lov the moon and the stars. But i dont know much about astronomy!

16. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've never been terribly interested in astronomy, actually. Most of what I've seen is mapping out constellations and other celestial bodies, determining distances, makeup of stars, etc. It's very esoteric information that does not go much farther than measurements in most cases.

Cosmology, however, is different. It's still space science, but it goes a lot deeper. It's a lot more about the physics and origin of the universe as a whole, and why things are how they are. It deals with gravity waves, singularities, dark matter, filaments and voids, all just mind-blowing stuff. It's also important to me personally as of late, because I often find myself lost in astrophysics websites trying to find out a good way to write space travel sci-fi. It's easy to lose faith in humanity in day-to-day life, but take a single look at what scientists are thinking about and it makes you go, "holy hot damn, these peoples' brains must be magic."

17. prism

Obsessed with learning about it since the 5th grade. :slight_smile:
    I know a fair bit from what I've studied, but I have only seen a sky full of stars maybe twice in my entire life because I've only ever lived in huge cities. For that reason, I've always found cosmology a bit more interesting.

18. Maxis

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love astronomy! Everything about what's outside our Earth I find absolutely fascinating. I don't know much about it and never properly studied it before, but I still find it extremely interesting and often ask my dad questions about the universe. My parents even got me a telescope last month for Christmas and I've been obsessed with using it. :grin:

19. Vesper

Oh, yes. I find that the vastness of space, the possible existence of multiple or even infinite universes, the beauty and sheer size of astronomical objects, the probable existence of habitable and life-harboring planets, and the human endeavors of space exploration and space colonization to be incredibly romantic. I often find myself looking up at the sky, wondering if there's any life out there and imagining beautiful spaceships taking people to the great beyond. I'm toying with the idea of applying to Mars One to become a Mars colonist, actually.