1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to format my laptop?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by neverover, Mar 1, 2008.

1. neverover

i have a windows xp sp2 laptop, with WMP11 and IE7. i want it back to the condition where i first bought it, sp1, cause it seems to unrecognise my zvm. how to do it? a complete dummy here. thx again

2. sngl

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well...it depends.

If you have a separate Windows installation CD then you just insert it into your dvd drive, your laptop will boot from the CD and you can have a clean new installation of Windows.

If you don't, then sometimes there's a separate partition on your hard drive, named backup or something like that, which is used to restore your computer to its original condition. If this is the case, you should have a program which does this, you can probably find it in the start menu (but it's not the one under accessories -> system tools -> backup).

Also, if you have installed SP2 just a few days/weeks ago, you could try to restore your system with System Restore, you can find it under Start -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Restore. You will find a calendar there with system checkpoints, see how far you can go back in time

3. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

What make and model of laptop is it? What CDs did you get with it?

If you got one called "System Restore" or something, put that in the CD drive and restart the PC. It should guide you through restoring to factory defaults, with various warnings about how you will lose everything you have installed or done since you bought it.

If you didn't get a System Restore CD but you did get a Windows XP CD, restart with that in the drive and go through the process of reinstalling Windows. That's a bit more difficult than using a restore CD though. You need to choose the option NOT to repair an existing installation, then delete the C: partition, then create a new one. Once Windows is installed you then need to install the drivers etc from the Drivers CD (which you hopefully have too).

Before starting though, make sure the Windows license sticker is still in place on the bottom of the laptop and that the Product Key on it is readable. You will probably need this product key during the restoring or reinstallation, so if it is missing or illegible you;ll be stuck.

What is a ZVM? I am wondering whether you would do better fixing the problem with that rather than blitzing the whole thing and starting over.

4. ok455

Did you try system restore yet?

5. neverover

omg... that is harder than i thought. i need to go buy my adapter cable first, after that, do this format thing. zvm is creative zen vision m 30gb. all my media files is in there, no backup. btw, the easiest way is, keep my finger crossed and go find for this system restore cd, no?
    thx for all ur help

6. Urman

Urman Guest

Make sure you have a system restore disk makes life alot easier if not u may have to redown load the drivers.But u can use the format c: command or use the disk to delete your old partition and make a new one.

7. Urman

Urman Guest

Sp1 is no longer supported by windows

8. neverover

^that is not a good thing, isn't it? what does that mean?

9. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

It's not a problem. You just need to download and install SP2 once you have WinXP with SP1 installed.

10. Urman

Urman Guest

You need to purchase sp2 i believe but sp1 is discontinued

11. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

If you've already got a Windows XP CD with SP1 or without any service packs they you don't need to purchase anything. SP2 is a free download to update any version of Windows XP with SP1 or no service packs.

See http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/default.mspx

If you need to purchase Windows XP then (if you can still find anyone that stocks it) it will have SP2 included.

12. neverover

ok, after a hard journey finding it. i CANT find the system restore disk, nor the xp disk. all i have, is my laptop and me. no internet connection to download anything. please help! its always error connecting to my zen. im so desperate, because i have searched every forum to help my problem with it. but they say that i should format my computer... so i asked here, since its busier. thx

13. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When did it stop working?

14. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

If you have no disks, don't try formatting it as you will just be stuck with an unusable machine.

The problem is most likely with the Zen driver, and a complete format and reinstall seems to be unnecessary. The solution is to sort out the problem with the driver. Because of the lack of information in your posts, it would probably be best to get a local small computer shop or engineer to have a look at it.

15. neverover

YEAH!! my zen is finally worked! a guy gave me some command prompt to make my zen work. its finally working now and i dont have to format my laptop.
    but before it works, paul, it keep saying error when i tried to update the drivers, so i gave up to format my laptop. thank god its working now:grin:

16. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Excellent! I'm pleased it was fairly straightforward in the end :slight_smile: