1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The simpsons

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by TheLovelyAudrey, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Anyone else watches/used to watch this fucking great show? :slight_smile: (it sucks now through)

2. Average Joe

I wouldn't say it's fucking great but yes, I have seen most of it. Actually, I started watching the series only after I had seen the movie. I'm afraid that for me it gets more boring with every new season (I haven't seen the newest one yet). Still, Bart Simpson (and his laugh) is my absolute favorite. Oh, and it was nice to see an interview with the cast in Inside The Actors Studio.

3. mothcaterpillar

I used to have dinner at 6 every day to watch simpsons on channel 4 and be anoyed if i missed it now those episodes are on all the time and new ones don't get played often so they've become boring but the simpsons are still amazing and in sociology we use them to remember what a nuclear family is

4. inthedark4eva

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I have the first twenty seasons plus the movie on my comp....and I have Homer Simpson slippers that someone gave me for Christmas a couple of years go....so yeah...Simpson fan here

And yes...the newer episodes seem to suck :frowning2:

5. Seasons 1-10 are about as good as comedy gets. I just tuned into the new one with Tom Waits and it was actually alright but nowhere near as good as its golden years.

6. Mikeysaur

Mikeysaur Guest

Used to back in the 90s. The family guy is better. :icon_wink

7. It had such a huge effect on comedy in general many of us based our sense of humor on it.

8. Dauntless

Out Status:
    Some people
    I grew up with the Simpsons. Loved them, my first dog was named Simpson.

I cant say I am thrilled with them anymore, Not fond of the new animation style either.

I cant stand Family guy either now, all these shows are just spoofing each other. Back to 90s cartoons and Looney Tunes for me.

9. SlickyPants

I've been it watching it since I was a kid. I stopped watching it regularly about 8 years ago or so but have since watched every episode of the current season as it airs. I caught the odd episode once in a while before but I don't know if it was because I lost interest or work or both.

It was really innovative back in its heyday. There was no other animated television show like it. Everything from the character design, the full animation, directing, the writing was unique and a cut above everything that was around or had come before it.

I felt it started to decline around season 9 or so. There were still great episodes but I think they were fewer and far between. We all know Homer is a buffoon and it was funny for a bit as they made him stupider but it seemed like they tried to make him dumber every season and it got to a point that it wasn't funny anymore. They had more time for a real story in the older seasons and now it has a much faster pacing where it's just joke after joke. Maybe Family Guy had some influence in the later seasons too. This could just be a fun nostalgia thing for me but the Simpons family always seemed to be outdated. Marge with her hairstyle, the old television with rabbit ears, the use of typewriters, etc. In the later seasons they all have cell phones, tablets, an HDTV, etc. I suppose it would just date the show too much.

10. Hard Candy

Hard Candy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I love this show. It's not as great as it used to be, even the Hallowwen specials, but I still like it better than Family Guy (which, admittedly is funnier, but does not have the same charm and intellect that The Simpsons have).

11. SOULkitchen

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Interesting you should mention that. While I agree that the most 'classic' episodes of the Simpsons are from before season 9, I actually personally like seasons 9 to 14 the best. Even much of seasons 15 to 19 are great, in my opinion; however, I really started to notice a decline around season 20. Now we're into season 23 I think and I can't relate to it anymore.

I grew up on the Simpsons, it raised me while my parents were out getting drunk (joking).

12. qboy

Huge fan back in the day - sitting down having my tea whilst watching The Simpsons on BBC TWO was a staple of my college and uni days!

While it's not as good as it used to be the rot isn't as bad as some people say - some of the older episodes are dire, although the newer ones tend to have less good ones per series. Certainly more intellectual than Seth MacFarlens tendency for vomit and dragging stuff out too long. One thing I have noticed which makes the newer ones harder to follow is the increasing reliance on US popular culture - when you have to Google what stuff means before you can find it funny it's lost it's way a bit!

13. When it first started homer seemed to be just a normal guy with a habit of making stupid mistakes.