1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Horror Fans?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by JustARaconteur, Jan 21, 2013.

1. JustARaconteur

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm a huge horror fan. Most of my Netflix queue and a lot of my DVDs and old school VHS tapes are horror. I love scary stuff, have all of my life. I've read every book and short story Stephen King has written, I've read a lot of Dean Koontz, Clive Barker, and I'm a big fan of Douglas Clegg and the Lincoln/Child combo.

I love slasher films, zombies, and monster films in general. Right now I am seriously loving me some American Horror Story. I love when FEARnet updates their Facebook page with short films I can watch in under five minutes.

Anyone else? What do you like?

2. Harve

Horror is an odd one for me as 80% of horror films I see end up being shit.

Ones that aren't:

Martyrs
    [REC] and [REC]2, and Quarantine
    Calvaire
    Donkey Punch
    28 Days Later
    Dead Set
    Wolf Creek
    Dread
    Saw I
    The Descent
    Black Water

Only two of them are American, one of which is a remake. America can't make horror films, seemingly. And I'm definitely not a purist: after having been treated to films inspired by classics with twists applied to them, those from the "golden era" of 1970-1990 seem quite clichéd to me, if I'm allowed to say that.

3. RueBea85

RueBea85 Guest

I'm really loving American Horror Story as well!! Love Jessica Lange on that show, she's brilliant!

I have watched a lot of horror films recently but most of the ones I've seen don't scare me at all. Which is disappointing, maybe I'm watching all the wrong movies!

4. FemCasanova

I love horror and Sci fi. The best is a combination of the two, like Event Horizon, and Pandorum. The first has Sam Neill, among other good actors. The second has Dennis Quaid in it. Both favorites of mine. I am a fan of the good old horror genre, I think horror should be scary, not just gross, like for example the Saw movies. And I find the Final Destination movies a complete joke. The first Nightmare on Elm Street was awesome. Really creepy and psychological. The Haunting in Connecticut was nice as well! Paranormal Activity is really boring. Just suggestive and pretend to be creepy. Nothing really happening there. Good horror movies should get under your skin, make you all jumpy and filled up with adrenalin. When you watch a horror movie, and you suddenly get a creepy feeling from washing your face by the sink, not daring to look up at the mirror in case someone might be looking back at you, then you can be sure you`ve seen a good horror.

I guess some of us enjoy being scared a little. Makes us feel all alive and stuff, lol (!)

Seeing some of the other members suggestions, the Decent was really good. It gave you a claustrophobic feeling, you could really see yourself down there, in the darkness, complete lack of control over your surroundings. Martyrs is only scary in the first part, until you catch on to what is going on, then it turns all Saw like and the horror part goes away. 28 days later was good, the sequal was okay, simply because of that one actor from Stargate Universe (which I think suck). If not for him, it would not at all have been any interesting. The exorcist is over-rated, in my opinion. Just a whole lot of icky stuff. I refuse to be scared of a little girl with a face painted green and with yellow contacts. Maybe if one is religious, it gets scarier, I don`t know. Stigmata had some creepy points. The ending wasn`t too good though, when the "big bad" becomes so not dangerous that she needs saving from a priest, from another priest. I mean, if you are possessed by a powerful creature, you shouldn`t need saving.

I really am a sucker for the psychological horrors, where they use triggering sounds, noises and play around with our imagination, puts in jumpy moments where you don`t expect it, and so on.

No, Horror is a great genre, but it has do be done well, some intelligence is required, and some insight into human psyche, if you want it do really be effective and scary. Random monsters don`t scare me, like werewolves, etc. However, some kind of being that cannot actually be killed, because it isn`t alive to begin with, and you cannot protect yourself from it, as it doesn`t follow our normal rules of physics, that`s more scary. Or if (Like in the Decent), you are put in surroundings where your options are limited, you can`t see whatever is after you, yet you know it is there, and you know it wants to hurt you. Then it`s scary. Shark movies are not scary :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I love sharks. Fascinating animals. Or fish, but whatever, lol.

Cool topic.

5. KillTheLights

I like Scream, but thats about it lol.

6. Mara

Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes. Like absolutely no one's business, I love horror. Dario Argento, John Carpenter, George Romero and all of their classics. I'm fond of slashers and zombie flicks the most.

7. RueBea85

RueBea85 Guest

I just went to see Mama in theatres, it was pretty good. The ending was a little bit lame but definitely a lot of jumpy moments, which I like.

8. ioden

I love horror movies specially old vampire movies (they scare the shit out of me). However my real soft spot is for splatter films. Re-animator series, Videodrome, Saw series, Living Dead series, 28 days later, Kill Bill series. I love the irony and humor those movies put to human mutilation. I think many people love and hate gore because it addresses one of our most primal and morbid ideas: the fragility of the human body. It surely awakens our self preservation instincts in such a weird, disgusting way.

As far as I have seen, the only splatter film which I cannot see for long is Cannibal Holocaust, because of its animal cruelty and extreme realism. That's way too much for my tastes.

9. counterspade

I just recently went to see that myself. My friends laughed through the entire thing (half of the time the rest of the theater was giving off color commentary). I absolutely HATE horror movies...but my ticket was free, so I tagged along. My friends poked fun at me for covering my eyes and burying my head in a friend's right boob because I hated the suspense moments.

...Well...the boob thing was just a fun ploy. :wink:

10. FranklinK

I fucking love horror movies. I haven't seen Mama yet, but I will asap. Even though I know it's just a PG-13 'scary' movie and it will more than likely suck I'm excited to see it.

I was raised on horror movies so I've been watching them since I was little. My poor roommate's NetFlix is chalked full of horror movies in his queues now next to all his gay romance movies lol.

Speaking of gay and horror movies. Have y'all seen any of the terrible gay horror movies out there? Like Gay Bed & Breakfast of Terror, or Otto: Or Up With Dead People, or Hellbent?

11. Xeno

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love horror movies, but I usually end up not being scared by them. These are some of my favorites.

Alien 1-3
    Wes Craven's New Nightmare
    Saw 1-3
    The Exorcist III
    Scream 1-4

12. Xochipilli

I like that they're an excuse to get close to someone :wink:
    And Mama does look good, especially because Guillermo del Toro was involved.

13. Just Jess

My favorite kind is survival horror. Claustrophobic stuff like the way 28 days later was toward the end are perfect. Nothing corny like Resident Evil and while I loved Buffy the show, the self-referring humor trend he started in horror movies I could do without. Except ironically I loved "Cabin in the Woods". I love the Walking Dead. Anything that can take the characters away from everything familiar and drop them into a situation where they don't really know the rules and just have to run and live. Or where you have more to fear from other survivors than what you were running from. It's always satisfying to see some of the characters get out, but I think the thing I like most about is is that the suspense is real because the characters don't always.

I also like Lovecraft stories. My favorite isn't really horror, "The Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath". But I really liked the way he could remind us just how big and bad nature and the universe are and how small we are.

14. djt820

This kind of made me groan. You should realize that Scream is a parody of horror films (slasher flicks in particular).

Anyways, I've always been a big horror fan ever since I was a kid. I remember watching the Halloween movie marathon every Halloween. I probably love 80's horror the most. I hate a lot of modern horror because it is nothing but cheap jump scares and I hate jump scares. They aren't scary and are overused. I like atmosphere and tension. These are the things that scare me. "The Collector" (not last year's "The Collection") is a good example of modern horror done right. The atmosphere and camera angles really creeped me out. I loved it.

Too bad the genre is doing really badly lately. The last horror film I saw was "The Cabin in the Woods" and I must say, that was one of the best films I saw last year. I just got done with season 2 of American Horror Story and I loved it. The Walking Dead really turned around and got me excited for it again too. Us hardcore horror fans rejoice whenever something good comes out, which is a rarity nowadays.

#14 djt820, Jan 26, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  15. Harve

Wait what? Surely they're pretty similar films? (and both very good at that) I didn't include them in my list because I enjoyed their humour more, but then again, I did include 'Donkey Punch'.

The horror branch of New French Extremity is where it's at.

16. Cthulhu

Alien and The Shining are my two all-time favorite horror films. I also really like The Exorcist and The Thing.

17. djt820

Well, yeah. People compare them all the time. To be honest, I'm not a big fan of Scream but I love CITW. My Scream comment was just addressing how strange it is to only like Scream, when Scream's comedy comes from making fun of other horror films.

There are still moments of suspense and dread in both films, though. I would still call both films horror. They just fall under the sub-genre of comedy-horror.

And I may look into whatever that is. I personally don't really care for foreign films all too much, though.

18. MichaelB

This.

I love the concept of horror, but very few seem to actually scare me.

I watched Cabin in the Woods recently. All I can say is da faq, strangest horror film going.

My favourite though is the Texas Chainsaw massacre franchise. I don't know why because many of the recent ones aren't even scary, but it holds a special place with me just because it was the first horror villain that genuinely scared me. I watched the 2003 remake when I was like 12, so srs it freaked the shit out of me D:

Edit:

Just saw...
    ... this.

REALLY?! I didn't think it was bad, and I even thought it was kinda intelligent and funny, but I didn't find it scarey in the slightest and the main thing it left me with was confusion. ¬_¬'

#18 MichaelB, Jan 27, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  19. jp16

I remember pissing my pajama watching The Exorcism when i was younger, i can't go to cr caused i always envision that girl face.lol