1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Counting the Stars

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Emberblaze, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Emberblaze

Ok, so my physics teacher gave us an extra credit assignment that can be added to our test grade, and basically, one of the topics we could do was how to count the number of stars in the sky. And we could do/explain our topic in anyway we choose, like poetry, a poster board, ect... So, I decided to do prose. Heh, now, keep in mind, it's kinda hard to sound poetic when you're explaining physics and math, but, could you guys give this a quick read and gimmie some feed back? It'll boost my confidence. ^^

Staring up into the moonless expanse, a transient glint of glittering light twinkles between the black tides. My eyes, naive to the clearing darkness, deceive what is truly there. One by one, another glimmering light emerges from the folds of black as accustomation open my eyes to the truth unseen, and soon after, a cascade of stars are raining across the sky.

My mind cannot help but wonder just how many glittering gleams glow within that star ocean, and with a cylindrical instrument in hand, I leave the scope of my vision in the care of the object's length and diameter, and with this newfound range of sight, I count how many flickering flames are seen burning in the black, far beyond the northern expanse.

After inscribing the number unseen into the pages of my mind, I turn and face another direction of the horizon, the north east, and once more, I peer into my tool, and once more, restrict my vision to its diameter, recording yet another cluster of stars into my phantasmal journal.

And so, I face the remaining six corners of the horizon, and record the stars, from hither and yon, from the east, the south east, the south, the south west, the west, the north west, the north, the north east, a sample is collected from each stretch of the cosmos.

Now, what's left to do? I'll bring it all together and finally reach my sought answer, but not after turning back to my tool for yet another aid. It's diameter, it must be divided into its length, and the result, it must be multiplied by a replica of itself. And then, in one final step, that resulting quotient is multiplied by the sum of my eight recorded observations, thus, yielding my answer, thus, telling me what I had been seeking all this time, and thus, whispering in my ear, just how many photons blaze a trail into the great unknown, up in that glittering sea.

If you're still awake at this part, you ARE a trooper. Heh, this is probably one of the worst things i've ever written, but it's for physics and my teacher isn't really grading on literary genius. I just wanted some feedback. (and we can do without puns about my "cylindrical instrument :eusa_doh:slight_smile: