1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'Gay' Glee Characters Are Actually Straight!

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by BoiGeorge, Jan 23, 2013.

1. BoiGeorge

BoiGeorge Guest

I was so pissed when I found out that the actors who play Blaine, Santana, Britney, Dave Karofsky and Sebastian on Glee are all actually straight in real life! Chris Colfer who plays Kurt is the only actor who is actually gay! Maybe its just me but I hate it when actors are inauthentic. I mean Santana and Britney are like lesbian icons now and Naya Rivera and Heather Morris arent even lesbians! I find that offensive to be honest. Lots of young lesbians look up to them! And Blaine - hes like the number one gay hottie for guys everywhere, and Darren is straight! Does anyone else hate it when actors do this?!

2. CTJ

CTJ

I don't see anything wrong with it at all, they're actors. They act. Did it piss you off when Matt Bomer played a straight guy in Glee? Its the same thing.

Its not in the least bit offensive, its showing that times are moving on and straight guys or gals aren't weirded out by playing these roles because they understand how important it is to do so. Just because Naya and Heather are straight doesn't mean that young lesbians can't look up to them, being gay doesn't limit your heroes to only gay individuals. We'd have very few people in the spotlight to look up to if that was the case.

3. I don't really hate it. But I do find it ironic that Jonathan Groff, real-life gay, played a straight guy and potential love interest of Rachel. I guess there's also Alex Newell, another real-life gay, who played a gay character in the show (Unique). Then there's Jane Lynch...

---------- Post added 23rd Jan 2013 at 01:36 AM ----------

Love Matt Bomer, categorically. White Collar.

4. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't find it offensive because they are actors so they're not supposed to be authentic to themselves. If they were pretending to be gay in real life for "fun," I'd find it offensive. But Darren, Max, Naya, Heather, and (the guy who plays) Sebastian have never claimed to be gay. For the most part they are all pretty awesome people that support the LGBT community. I look up to them for their LGBT outreach. I don't know if Heather or Sebastian have done much LGBT outreach but I know the other three have.

Through the history of film and television, there have been many LGBT actors that've played straight characters. Neil Patrick Harris plays a straight man in "How I Met Your Mother" and he does a wonderful job. It's promising that there are now straight actors and actresses that have absolutely no qualms with playing an LGBT character. In the past I'm sure straight actors would have been too afraid due to their reputation.

I personally think it's important that both LGBT and straight actors are placed in roles that best fit them based on their talent or specific personality, not based on their sexual orientation. It'd be nice if there were more out LGBT actors overall so we could see more real-life representation.

5. RueBea85

RueBea85 Guest

I'm just going to quote this, couldn't have really said it better myself! :icon_wink

6. Beachboi92

you also have to consider tons of people in the entertainment industry are LGBT but stay closeted to avoid being typecast or discriminated against in what roles they are allowed to play. This means they very well may have a non-straigth orientation and also many "straight" characters get played by lgbt actors/actresses.

7. julia

No, a lot of straight characters on that show are gay in real life. Sue, Bryan, Cooper, Jesse. It's kind of a fair trade off. Also I think it's wonderful that straight actors are willing to play a gay character, they're the ones that are really helping people accept LGBT people.

8. Yeah...thats kinda their job. Really fail to see the problem here. You wouldn't get mad because you found out Robert De Niro didn't really kill all those people in Taxi Driver would you?

9. Shiny Espeon

I see it as a good thing that straight actors are willing to play gay people on TV/in movies. It's another step towards full acceptance.

10. SeerOfHeart

As everyone else has said, I don't see a problem with it. They're just characters on a TV show. It's not like "gay" is a physical trait a character has. If someone of one sexual orientation is willing to play someone else with a different one, then why should it matter?

Saying "oh, only gays should be playing gays" goes against the whole idea of being inclusive to everyone, including straight allies.

11. Kay

Kay Guest

Their characters are the icons. All of the women on The L Word were not lesbians but they did a job and helped the community to have a place and characters to identify with.

12. Shyguy5

I don't know how it would matter. This can be applied to gay people doing roles of straight characters. Matt Bomer who is gay in real life plays the main character (a straight guy) in White Collar. Besides I wouldn't think straight people get offended that Matt isn't being an "authentic" straight man.

13. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well if all gay characters were restricted to gay actors....well there wouldn't be many gay characters would there because there's only so many gay men in hollywood. Get use to it. And I think Grant, Darren, Max, Heather and Naya do an amazing job playing gay/bi. I don't find it offensive at all and if you do then maybe rethink your thought process. Compared to twenty years ago and earlier where playing a gay character on tv was like a bomb to your career, now it's accepted, so honestly I think it's unfortunate you have such a problem with it. But being 17, i'm sure you'll get over it eventually.

14. Caliber

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    eh,knew it and it doesnt bother me one bit

15. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, think about it: *every* actor/actress is inauthentic, because, by nature, they are playing roles. None of the doctors on House or Grey's Anatomy are doctors. None of the murderers or rapists or police officers or DAs on Law and Order are really those things.

Given a choice, I would much rather have well written scripts acted by talented actors than so-called "reality" shows where the "reality" is scripted, reenacted, and the acting is often beyond terrible.

16. photoguy93

I think it's good! Just because we wouldn't want gay actors only playing gay, or we would have so many less spots. I actually hate gay actors playing gay, because it's not really acting.

17. HadesReborn

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I want Matt Bomer to be in '50 Shades of Grey'.. It annoys me when people say that he shouldn't play the part because he is gay and when challenged its because Christian Grey is someone who a lot of women lust after, I feel they miss the point of acting... problem was it was a female actor that said that to me :bang:

I also think it would be a MAJOR step up if he did play the role. An openly gay actor getting the highly sexual role of Christian Grey would be amazing for the gay politics of Hollywood. A big step up.

18. ForceAndVerve

Well put. I think shows that have gay characters in them would be royally screwed if they HAD to have gay actors play those characters.

19. Splenda

I understand what you mean but like the others said its still a wonderful sign of progress. I remember being quite p!ssed though when I was around 12 and I found out that tATu faked their lesbian relationship to gain publicility. I was grappling with my own gay thoughts at the time in school,I come across tATu and start to feel normal, then I find out the entire thing was fake :dry:

20. Romi

I'm not trying to be rude, but....do you even understand what an actor's role is?
    I don't even have to watch Glee to tell you...if they had you convinced they were homosexual while being hetero...then they're quite authentic actors.