1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who still watches their old channel 4 brit comdies?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by SmokeandMirrors, Jan 30, 2013.

1. SmokeandMirrors

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm writing this after watching one of my favourite british comedy series for a <i've lost count> time. This one is a good friend of mine called Spaced....remember that anybody? Simon Pegg, Nick Frost, Jessica Stevenson and Mark Heap from back in the late 90's?

Can't get enough of it; some of my other faves include: Green Wing, Black Books, Peep Show and The IT Crowd.

Currently I'm going through Green Wing again. I just think theyre great to have on as background whilst I'm working, doing something menial or just generally don't feel like concentrating properly on what I'm watching.

I know bbc throw out some good comedies also but I've always tended to lean towards channel 4.

Anybody got any favourites that they like to watch and reminisce of the era when you used to watch them?

2. aeva

Some, although I tend to watch more BBC 2 stuff.

We couldn't afford a TV when I was really little, so I can't reminisce all that much. Most of the shows I like either were aired before I was born (Fawlty Towers, the Good Life, Black Adder), while we didn't have a TV (Vicar of Dibley) or since I've moved to the US (Black Books, Peep Show QI, Coupling, Jam and Jerusalem), so I never get them "live". QI I can get on youtube, and most of the others are on Netflix, or I have them on disc/tape.

3. falsereading

falsereading Guest

I am afraid it is all about the BBC (Ab Fab, Keeping Up Appearances, Harry Enfield) except for the single best Ch4 comedy: The Crystal Maze. OK it was not a comedy but I laughed through most of the episodes.

4. SmokeandMirrors

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Gotta agree with you on ab fab, it's definately its namesake.(!)

5. Seeing as I'm not British I don't really know the distinctions between the channels but I love it all silly stuff like Miranda and the Vicar of Dibley to...well genius stuff like The Office and The Thick of It

6. inthedark4eva

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm another US person who loves the old British sitcoms.

Are you being served?
    Keeping Up Appearances
    One Foot In The Grave
    Coupling (much better than the US version)
    Next Of Kin (wasn't really a popular show and didn't last long but it is still one of my faves)
    Waiting For God
    Fawlty Towers

...i'm sure i'm missing a few but these are some of my faves

---------- Post added 31st Jan 2013 at 08:02 PM ----------

ugh...how could I forget Vicar Of Dibley (absolutely loved when I saw Dawn French as the fat lady in the Prisoner of Azkaban)

7. LiquidSwords

Oh man this thread mentions pretty much all my favourite comedies. Yeah Spaced is wicked, I missed it first time round owing to my age but I've watched through it a few times and it's quality. I looove Peep Show and I must have seen each episode about ten times, it's pretty cool how you can watch it all on 4od even though it's years old. Another Channel 4 comedy I love is Brasseye by Chris Morris I'd watch that if you haven't already.

Ab Fab, The Office, The Thick Of It are amongst the best BBC comedies yes.

8. Harve

Unintentionally hilarious and amazing.

This interactive Youtube escape-thing completely reminded me of the presenter:
    [YOUTUBE]hvkjP6dqpfY[/YOUTUBE]

9. falsereading

falsereading Guest

Right on brother. Brasseye is fantastic, I remember the infamous Paedo episode being broadcast in 2001 and laughing through school the next day like some lunatic. Morris is simply a genious and it is a shame he tends to only do stuff every couple of years but when he does do stuff it is generally amazing. Always been a fan of Armando Iannucci and Thick Of It is really good.

partridge movie should be out in September which is what is keeping me excited this year!!

10. LiquidSwords

Haha yeah Brasseye is spot on with how it satirizes the news, the paedo episode was amazing and yeah Morris is basically a genius.

How have I not heard about an Alan Partridge movie?! That has made this year for me :icon_bigg Have you read the Alan Partridge book that came out a few years back? I've never laughed so hard reading a book you just can't help reading it in his voice the whole way through :lol:

Did you ever see Monkey Dust on BBC? That was pretty hilarious and on point.