1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lisim's Little Literature Ledge

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Lisim, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Lisim

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hey, guys, I'm getting somewhat fed up with the in-exhaustive list our school seems to have of books that are blatantly dull and too simple for the analysis the teachers require of us. On this note, I'd really like to get back to reading literature that would actually leave some lingering impact on a reader. Any suggestions are welcome, whether books, graphic novels, manga or comics, just no major spoilers, please. Below, I will present several of my favorite series that I have read, and have stayed with me. This is by no means an exhaustive list, and simply my opinion on the books I have gotten to recently. The summaries below contain little to no spoilers, and I avoid summarizing events in the plot to make it more of a discovery if you decide to read them in future, though do note it makes them a bit difficult to really explain. Sorry for any typos ^^;

I'll start off with Spiral: Suiri no Kizuna, since both the anime and manga are finished.

Starting out as a normal, cliche-full detective novel, it quickly develops into much, much more. The story, in essence, end up following someone's journey to find purpose and justification to their existence. I won't spoil the ending, but that... that ALONE makes the series worth reading. I mean.... I was kinda depressed for about a week after I finished it to the end. The fact that a person could betray another that is so close to them so profoundly... that humans can be so self-absorbed.... it's just.... Even if you don't like anime and manga, this is one of those series you really need to read. It has foundation in ethics, morality, purpose, being... All I'm saying is don't deny reading it until you've given it a chance. Yes, the central gimmick is iffy, cliche, whatever you will, but what is important and engaging in the development of the characters.

The second one is arguably my favorite anime/manga series currently. The manga is still ongoing, but the anime has unfortunately finished airing. 07 Ghost is a series set in a post-apocalyptic universe with a unique concept of magicks and technology. The society is reliant on religion, and the concept of the 7 ghosts of the chief of heaven. The plot starts out small, amazingly so, compared to the magnitude of the forces that start conflicting later on in the novel. The plot is very hard to explain without giving a lot away, but I can explain it abstractly. The series starts out with the protagonist coping with an immense sense of loss, after which it stems into the main scenario (though the sense of grief never really truly vanishes). As the protagonist grows stronger, we learn more about the universe the character is in. In a sense, it's like a post-WW2 novel if Germany was eradicated entirely, only Germany was framed, also largely being involved with an affair, and spite. The way I've managed to described this is quite unbecoming on the series, but I very much recommend to read this series and Spiral if I've at least vaguely peaked your interest.

This last on is, arguably, my favorite ever series, fantasy or otherwise. The Dragon Chronicles by Chris D'lacey is a currently ongoing series where the 9th book is being written currently (if I recall the number correctly). It is a novel that is, supposedly, targeted at young adults, however, despite its relatively simple language, a very great message with amazing character development is held within the pages. The first several books are a steady foundation before the truly confusing and hard-to-grasp elements occur. If you read this as a child, unless you have the mentality of a 25-year-old, you will not be able to grasp the true significance of the story. D'lacey sticks strongly and confidently to the base principles of his own universe, avoiding ploholes the the extent that the readers try to comprehend the significance of certain events or truths before the author himself brings them up. If you read the first book, and at least somewhat enjoyed it, do not give up on the series, continue reading on, as it becomes better and better through the books of the increasing magnitude of things. It's just one of those books I don't want to give away too much on , so I really urge you to go on Amazon, and buy the kindle versions of his books for your PC or kindle. I'm pretty sure you won't regret it c:

I would really advise you NOT to do much background research on these series, and just to hop in, the manga and anime are available online free, and I can send you links to them. Knowing too much on the series will spoil the novelty and impact they have.