1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Prayers For Bobby

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by DeanIsHome, Feb 1, 2013.

1. DeanIsHome

I just saw this movie and it made me cry rivers :tears: It's one of the most emotional movies I've ever seen, what made me really cry is that it was based on a true story and that the situation young Bobby was in is something many of us can relate to in someways, I was considering having my mom and dad (he probably won't) watch this, It made me really sad that this story even though it took place in the 1980's for some people the situation is still the same or even worst.

The movie is about "The true story of a mother's struggle to reconcile the tension between her deeply held religious beliefs and the suicide of her gay son. Mary Griffith came from a religious family and raised her four children to believe in God and live a Christian life. Their conservative Presbyterian church was the center of family life for every family member except Mary's husband, Bob. When 17-year-old Bobby confided to older brother Ed that he was gay, the family's life changed. Mary convinced Bobby to pray that God would cure him and to seek solace in church activities. Bobby did it all, but the church's hatred of homosexuality and the obvious pain his gayness was causing his family led him increasingly to loathe himself. Excerpts from a diary he kept, family photos, and letters written by Mary to her dead son make the book intense reading for both high-school and public library patrons."

Here's the link to watch the full movie for free:
    Prayers for Bobby (must see, especially parents who have gay son) - YouTube

2. Divopix

It was definitely a sad movie! I couldn't believe they let that happen...it pissed me off. Great movie.

3. artsyfartsy

I love this movie too! My eyes were bawling out tears throughout the entire movie...

4. DeanIsHome

I know right! Isn't it just tragic? i felt so sad at the thought that what if my parents couldn't accept me until i was dead? that was what i was thinking when i watched him die, i watched this movie 2 times and it sill made me bawl my eyes out.

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's been a lot of discussion of this movie here on EC, if you search "Prayers for Bobby", you'll get to see a lot of the comments from past discussions.

Another one that touched me deeply -- somewhat similar theme -- is "Latter Days." The difference, of course, is that Prayers for Bobby is a true story, and Bobby's mother remains an active spokesperson for PFLAG.

6. DeanIsHome

Sorry I didn't know it was brought up already. Btw what does PFLAG even do?

7. kylo

I watched it a few weeks ago with my boyfriend and we cried together. The fact that it was based on a true story just made it worse. The sad thing is though is that the same thing happens all the time still in this day and age. Close minded families I can't stand them.

8. remainnameless

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I really want to see it. Is it a book too?