1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sherlock Holmes: BBC 2010

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by FemCasanova, Feb 4, 2013.

1. FemCasanova

So, what is the judgment? Is Sherlock gay, and does he have feelings for Watson, or not??

Come on guys, I want some hard-core debating here! Don`t let me down, lol.

My first piece of evidence;

John Watson: You don’t have a girlfriend, then?
    Sherlock Holmes: Girlfriend? No, not really my area.
    John Watson: Oh right then. [pause] Do you have a boyfriend? Which is fine, by the way —
    Sherlock Holmes: I know it’s fine.
    John Watson: So you’ve got a boyfriend?
    Sherlock Holmes: No.
    John Watson: Right, okay. You’re unattached, just like me. Fine. Good.
    Sherlock Holmes: John, um... I think you should know that I consider myself married to my work and while I am flattered by your interest I’m —
    John Watson: No —
    Sherlock Holmes: — really not looking for anyone —
    John Watson: No. I’m not asking — no. I was just saying. It’s all fine.
    Sherlock Holmes: Good. Thank you.

:icon_wink

(And a reminder, I don`t ever speculate on actors orientation, that`s not okay to me, but a character`s orientation, that`s okay :icon_wink)

2. Jim

Jim

I think they're soulmates, and they do love each other, but not in a sexual way. Sherlock is more or less asexual, and John doesn't view Sherlock that way. So yes, they are in love, but they're not stereotypically 'gay' and nor are they sleeping together.

3. Oddish

Oddish Guest

T'was about to mention the same thing.

I think John and Sherlock are soulmates, but yeah, not in sexual terms.

4. Minx

I think they have a romantic friendship. :slight_smile:

5. Yeah I dont think sherlock has any romantic feeling for John really anyone for that matter. But their friendship is really close.

Now ask me about Frodo and Sam and you might get a different answer!

6. Minx

What about frodo & sam? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

7. I think they were the Sherlock and John of their time. However there's more evidence for that than whatever fangirl name sherlock/john have, I'm still unconvinced about it though.

8. FemCasanova

Nice, I like that one!

I think sort of the same thing, actually. Sherlock does seem asexual, it is like all his energy goes into his mind-wheels. But he does seem to develop an intense bond with Watson. And it is a bit romantic. So I am thinking he`s an asexual with a less intimate but just as intense ability to bond and attach to someone, whereas Watson don`s swing that way sexually, but seem to have grabbed on to that dependency like a guy who`s been walking a desert for three days.

So, I like the romantic friendship idea, it sounds fitting :icon_wink And the soul-mate thing.

If only Sherlock had been a woman, since it does not seem Watson could be bisexual. But maybe. Like, maybe love trumps sexuality? Sigh. Sorry, it is probably the hopeless romantic in me again. I will shut up now :icon_wink Or maybe Watson simply has not had the feelings for another man that would make him consider if he could bend that way, so he`s got a latent bisexuality he`s not aware of? Right, shutting up now! Silence, thou romance monster :bang:

9. speedboy3

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I remember reading somewhere that Watson is bi in this series and is attracted to Sherlock. Whether Sherlock shares these feelings is yet to be seen, though they would make a cute couple.

10. FemCasanova

Oh, I would die for a source on that one, Speedboy!

:grin: (A bit overly hooked on this. Maybe. But season 3 is so far away, and it`s killing me to wait. No, I do not have too much spare-time, I am just a series addict :wink:)

11. Mykayla

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Sherlock-asexual
    Watson-I'd go with either straight or bi *SPOILERS* He's getting married next season and moving out so I highly doubt he's gay.

12. FemCasanova

Yeah, I heard.

*spoilers*

The season finale irritated me a lot, just like the movie with RDJ. I just don`t get why he had to put Watson through that. It`s not like the guy cannot keep a secret, or fake some grieving! And wait for 3 years until he tells him he`s alive? What the heck?!

13. Bree

Benedict Cumberbatch: "Well, I see no reason at all why he shouldn’t be sexual. Everyone recruited him to their perspective, their interpretation. I’ve had asexuals come up to me and thank me for representing asexuals. I don’t know how that came about. I mean, the man’s too busy to have sex. That’s really what is it. Not every man has a sex drive that needs to be attended to. Like a lot of things in his life where he’s purposely dehumanized himself, it’s do to with not wanting the stuff that is time wasting, that’s messy. That goes for certain relationships, as well as sexual intimacy."

Aromantic, maybe. I see his relationship with John as a very close friendship with the occasional hint of sexual energy...but never any true romantic attraction to anybody. I don't think he's gay--I don't think he would care about who he was attracted to.

Aromantic suggestion: Sherlock, Scandal in Belgravia--"I imagine John Watson thinks love is a mystery to me but the chemistry is incredibly simple and very distractive."

---------- Post added 6th Feb 2013 at 12:16 AM ----------

Found a couple more (disappointing) quotes:

“Much as Sherlock adores John, and he’s fond of him, there’s no love, there’s nothing sexual — all the jokes aside,” Cumberbatch says. “The problem is, they [the jokes in the script] fuel the fantasy of the few into flames for the many. People presume that’s what it is, but it’s not.”

“If you want to think that they’re secretly in love with each other, then you can,” Freeman says. “But we’ve never played anything like that. I don’t really think they are, but there’s enough of that for people to see it if they want. I think they’re just really interested in each other because they give something to the other that is lacking in their life.”

14. Sherlock mocks Moriarti (who at the time is playing gay) for being gay, indicating he himself is not.

15. FemCasanova

What made you feel that he was mocking him? All he said was "gay..." in connection with the lab assistant trying to fool him into thinking the guy was her boyfriend. When she did not believe him, he began pointing out all the signs that he was definitely gay. I did not detect any mocking or such there at all :icon_wink

16. Darkrai

Darkrai Guest

Yeah Sherlock seem to completely find with anyone being gay.

Does anyone remember when Moriati trapped Watson with the bomb vest. And Sherlock quickly striped it off of Watson. They both made an interesting comment about it.

I kinda think/hope there is a spark there.

17. FemCasanova

Lol, yeah, and had a few good smiles shared too. Something about it being good that no one saw Sherlock tearing his clothes off, because that would really get people talking.

*finding the quote*

John Watson: I'm glad no one saw that.
    Sherlock Holmes: Mm?
    John Watson: You ripping my clothes off in a darkened swimming pool. People might talk.
    Sherlock Holmes: People do little else. [smiles]

18. zydrateaddict97

And in Reichenbach, running down the street, handcuffed together.
    "Now people will definitely talk"
    I think it's fun to imagine things between them, but I think that Sherlock has other things he'd rather be thinking about than sex.

19. yeahyeah

yeahyeah Guest

I dont know, I just love Watson (Martin) D: He is so handsome

20. thegaymer

Im pretty sure that Sherlock has never been in a relationship with anyone but in the new movie (if that counts) he did develop some feelings for Irene Adler