1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Dwarves' Song in The Hobbit

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Silvails52, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Silvails52

I'm not sure how many of you have seen The Hobbit. Which, by the way, was an amazing movie. Do you remember the dwarves' song near the beginning? It was called "Misty Mountains" And I found an a capella version. Just one singer named Peter Hollens. I'm getting goosebumps thinking about it. Now watch it! And yes, that is his voice only. Just layered. He has lots of other songs too. Some pop, some gaming, all amazing. [YOUTUBE]nEwzFF4HeB8[/YOUTUBE]

2. DefineNormal

DefineNormal Guest

Gotta love that humming face XD I'm always far too jealous of people who can sing...

3. Ridiculous

Oh dear, I've not seen the movie but I'm pretty sure this is not how Tolkien envisaged the song at all.

Not to say that he isn't talented and it isn't well done, of course, but the dwarves were very excited to be heading to Erebor and the song would've been upbeat as a result. This is just depressing.

4. HadesReborn

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I LOVED the way they did it in the movie...
    This was okay... but it sounded better with the different voices... in my opinion.

5. Silvails52

Not necessarily. I actually have the book and it says this: "The dark entered all the room, and the fire died down, and the shadows were lost, and still they played on. And suddenly, first one and then another began to sing as they played, deep-throated singing of the dwarves in the deep places of their ancient homes."

To me, that seems to evoke a song similar to the one the video (and movie) showed. And not to mention, they were also singing about Smaug's attack on their home, a grim and depressing topic.

#5 Silvails52, Feb 4, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2013