1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Acudentally deleting data on my data stick

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Owen, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

Twice this month I have accidentally deleted data on my data stick. One time was when my computer froze and I had to do a hard shut down. Another time was when I pulled it out without manually ejecting it first. That time, however, I did quit the program before pulling it out. Both times, when I later opened my document, there was nothing there. It was blank. It's not like I cut power while it was saving, and I refuse to believe that the data just disappears in in instances like this. Is there any way to retrieve lost data in a situation like this?

2. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Probably not, as it probably never got there in the first place.

The best thing to do is to save on your PC first, then copy it to the data stick afterwards. Then if it doesn't copy to the data stick correctly you still have it on the PC.

With the amount of problems you have had, it may be worth buying a new data stick. They don't last forever and some (depending on the technology used) are only good for a few thousand writes.

3. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

The thing is that I bought the data stick so that things I do for school wouldn't take up as much space on my computer, so I can't save the stuff on my computer, and since there's still a lot of space left on the data stick, it would be a waste to throw it out, especially since we don't have much money right now.

4. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I'm just concerned that the problem may be due to a faulty or failing stick.

You really should store important stuff in more than one place. If your data stick does die or gets lost or broken you'll have lost a lot of work which you won't have elsewhere. They are really intended as a way of moving stuff between machines and not as permanent storage.

If you can't store your work on your PC you should back it up onto CD or DVD regularly. Having it just on the data stick and nowhere else is risky.

5. neverover

well, i tried using software such as recuva. it can restored deleted files as long as u dont re format the disk. but u might as well try it. its a free software, try googling it. wish u luck!

6. Davey

also if its the space your are worried about you could always try putting the files on your computer in a 'Compressed Zip Folder'.
    It makes them take up less space.

7. Kimi

Yeah, I would do that.

I hate when I accidentally delete something...somethine like I spent hours on it and within a sec, it's gone!! It's so annoying.

Is your computer fine? I mean...what you said never happened to me...