1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mrs Brown's Boys & gay marriage

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Given To Fly, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Given To Fly

Mrs Brown's Boys is a sitcom which has just finished airing it's third season in the UK and Ireland. It's set in Dublin, and the title character is an old woman, whose life revolves around her grown up children.

A recurring plot throughout this season has been the impending wedding of her son Rory, and his long term boyfriend, Dino. At first, Mrs Brown had had trouble accepting the marriage, but she came to terms with it after realising that Dino was the person who made Rory happiest.

During the final episode, aired last night, Mrs Brown has a conversation with her local priest wherein she asks him to bless the wedding, which he refuses. There's also an incident with the wedding planner, whose attitude was “its a gay wedding, it has to make a statement”. Mrs Brown asks why does it have to be like that and why can’t they just be a couple that loves each other and want to commit themselves to each other?

There are a few other moments during the episode which discuss the issue. My personal view is that the whole issue of gay marriage was handled brilliantly :eusa_clap

2. Jordz

I agree with you on that mate, it was an awesome episode.
    I also liked the fact that Father Damien said that he didn't give his blessing because the church doesn't accept it but he went to the house later on and said that it wasn't his personal opinion, he's believes love is love, just the church doesn't

3. GayforGuys

Catching up on a few episodes I've missed, glad to see they dealt with it in a really nice way, well kind of haha!
    Now to actually watch it :slight_smile:

4. caughtbywitness

Yup, I tweeted 'loving the propaganda, thanks Brendan' he's done a few things like that for minorities this series, absolutely love the programme (Monday's were great with Miranda!)

5. SmokeandMirrors

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Missed it last night so I just caught up on it. Was a fantastic episode and Mammy sure gave it to 'em.

6. FruitFly

I love the way they've written the whole scenario. Not entirely accepting, but full of love and showing the progress of acceptance.

Oh mammy <3.

#6 FruitFly, Feb 5, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  7. mickie newton

I'm a big fan of Mrs Brown and though Rory is an extreme, the actor himself said he wanted people to know straight away that Rory was gay. This could be seen as offensive, but Mrs Brown, regardless, loves Rory and has come to respect Dino too.

A friend texted me about the episode to see if I'd watched it which I'd not. But I had recorded it. She'd said that it was a breakthrough TV and I think she was right.

It was handled sensitively and said everything that many of us feel. Yes we're gay, but we are humans first. If we have an over the top wedding, is that not fueling the fires of stereo types and all that straight people think they expect from us? Of course it would.

I think that what they did in Mondays show made a very BIG statement indeed!!

8. Hard Candy

Hard Candy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    That's a beautiful point made by Miss Brown. I wanna watch it. Though it kinds bothers me that their conversation sounds like a textbook dialog or a play except the last line. Sounds too stiff. But yeah, the point is well said.

9. caughtbywitness

The episodes are online if you know where to look (I do no such thing...)