1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Accent

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by an0nchick, Feb 5, 2013.

1. an0nchick

My non American friends think that the American accent is annoying. However, there's like 5 American accents. Which ones are more annoying? Name a famous person with an annoying American accent?

2. mickie newton

I don't really find it annoying myself...but if I had to pick one...Texan maybe, at it's extreme :slight_smile:

3. AaronG

AaronG Guest

Miley Cyrus has a bit of a southern twang but it's not all that bad. I don't really know many famous people with extreme accents.

4. Nepenthe

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Really heavy Boston accents get on my nerves. Glad I don't have one :slight_smile:
    As for celebrities with irritating accents... I can't think of any right now.

5. Thatoneguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The Texas Twang, Heavy Boston and New York.

Not many famous people have the accents people find annoying. Speech coaches would drill that out of them. Its hard to be famous if people hate listening to your voice.

6. DeanIsHome

Idk about celeberties but the politician Rick Perry's accent (I'm sad we share a last name) has an irritating accent like George Bush Jr so i don't really like the deep southern accent or really strong Boston or New York accents.

Basically southern accents are annoying when it's being spoken but when it's in singing I like it cause I love country music lol i am such a hypocrite xD

#6 DeanIsHome, Feb 5, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  7. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

There are a lot more than 5 English accents in the U.S. (and many many more accents in the U.K., Australia, New Zealand, Canada).

I think it's a terrible thing that accents are disappearing in favor of boring mass homogeneity, where everyone looks the same, acts the same, speaks the same. An accent is part of who you are, it gives you roots somewhere.

I do find some Southern U.S. accents annoying (particularly ones I've heard from Appalachia, e.g. Kentucky, southern Ohio) as well as the Texas twang of Rick Perry as mentioned.

The working-class Boston accent can be grating at a times. I think I have a bit of a New York accent, some variants can annoying (mostly Jersey accents are the culprits there though).

8. MickiNinaj

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Really any American accent that is heavily different than the norm tends to bother me, not to the point where it really matters too much though.

Also this is a link to a really cool audio about southern American accents(Only a minute or two long):
    Cerebral Language

9. Lance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A stereotypical Minnesota accent is annoyingly funny.

10. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have a southern accent but without the twang like Miley Cyrus. You can kinda hear my voice in the post about trying to describe your own voice. I hope my voice isn't annoying. :frowning2:

11. jsmurf

Aww. :icon_bigg

12. DeanIsHome

I wonder if we Seattlites/Washingtonians have an accent?

13. jsmurf

We do. We just don't think so because we tend to be uptight. To anyone who is not from the Northwest, we have an accent.

14. DeanIsHome

But when i go to California or Colorado they say it's "standard American" which i think sounds a bit dumb but whats a good example? I WANT TO SAY I HAVE AN ACCENT AT SCHOOL TOMORROW

15. jsmurf

I dunno... Colorado and California sound pretty similar, but not exactly the same.

16. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

The "Standard American Dialect" (SAD!) is boring and horrible, I hate it. All these hipster wannabes from Kansas who move to Brooklyn have such a generic way of speaking.

17. jsmurf

Northeastern accents are the best in America.

18. Oddish

Oddish Guest

I like most American accents. They're cute. My family in Arizona have kind of bland, typical American voices - nothing special. My friends in Northeastern U.S. (Rhode Island, New York) have really interesting voices and I quite like them. I don't really care for Southeastern U.S. accents, though. Like Miley Cyrus. Ew.

I'm tired of the Aussie accent after awhile. At least Melbourne's is more mellow - especially compared to Sydney.

19. DeanIsHome

My family from Brisbane but I think most of them were born elsewhere in a tiny town have such a strong accent so when they came since i'm hard of hearing i rely on lip reading there accent was too strong I couldn't read their lips thus having no clue what they said without a translation.

20. wilted

A part of Arizona where it actually snows!
    I'm an American from Arizona. I don't think I really have an accent, so I enjoy other people's accents. I absolutely love southern accents. My aunt is from Texas and I always love talking to her. I also enjoy Boston accents and New York accents. New Jersey accents can also be interesting, but the show Jersey Shore has kind of ruined New Jersey accents for me.

I also really like the different terms that people throughout the United States use for things. In high school I had a sub from Rhode Island call the drinking fountain a "bubbler" :lol:.