1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guilty Displeasures?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Cthulhu, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Cthulhu

A few weeks ago, I made a thread about guilty pleasures. Now, how about the opposite of that? What are things you dislike that most others liked?

Film: THX-1138, The Master

Music: Any Radiohead songs (I think Jonny Greenwood did some fantastic scores for PT Anderson, but I don't like any songs from this band)

2. Minx

Pokemon cards!

Everyone loved them, but no one I knew played with them. Just collect, collect, collect.

Not having any, others would shower me in their spares! o_o

I have 450! :lol:

3. Cthulhu

I used to try hard to collect those (for the first 151 Pokemon, then it got too ridiculous for my tastes).

4. Minx

And people would go ballistic over the shiny sparkly ones. :eek: The catfights I remember over others trading :lol:

5. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

I really don't think this concept works in reverse the way you're stating it.

The point of a guilty pleasure isn't that you like it in spite of the fact that others don't like it; it's that you like it in spite of the fact that it's bad. That's why the word "guilty" is used. For example, I don't call "We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together" a guilty pleasure because people don't like it; quite the contrary, it went to #1 on billboard, so plenty of people do like it. I call it a guilty pleasure because it's a song with no substance that offers nothing new to me as a listener, and because the writing leaves something to be desired. But I still enjoy listening to it, and that's why it's a "guilty" pleasure. Similarly, most people don't like death metal, and I do like it, but I don't call it a guilty pleasure, because I think it's a perfectly respectable art form.

So when you take that concept and apply it to something you don't like, you can't just stop at defining it as something you don't like that others do like. Where's the guilt in that? Hell, if we go by that definition, I could put gay sex down as a guilty pleasure, and I certainly don't feel any guilt in liking that. I think a real guilty displeasure would have to be something that you acknowledge as good but don't enjoy, something you understand the merit of but can't stand to experience.

In which case, I pick the entire genre of classical music (the good songs, anyway).

6. Cthulhu

Fair points.

If I can expand, a guilty displeasure could also be something that is technically good (well-made), but you dislike it anyway (which I picked with THX-1138 and The Master).

7. Minx

Those one strap backpacks, I really didn't like them.

A lot of the guys I knew loved them, always asked me why I didn't have one. I didn't have the heart to say I thought they looked silly. :slight_smile:

8. FruitFly

I always feel guilty for not liking Avatar, the Harry Potter books, and border collies.
    Nothing against them, not at all, and I know that border collies are delightful dogs, they just do nothing for me. No matter how frequently people try to get me to like them.

I mean, I wouldn't turn a border collie away, and I have fostered them via the rescue I volunteer with, but if I were actively going out and looking for a dog I would not consider a border collie.

The other two, meh.

Le sigh.

9. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nirvana. Holy crap, people jizz over this band and I think they're terrible.

Other than that, Call of Duty. It's not so much universally liked as polarizing, but I can't see the appeal at all.

Going by the definition "dislike despite the fact that it's actually good", most classic literature. Yes it has a message and undertones and feelings, but it has no action. I am not so fond of realism that I can enjoy a story about two people nervously discussing an abortion at a train station.

#9 Argentwing, Feb 9, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  10. DeanIsHome

For some reason I cannot read fantasy or fiction books, they have to be non-fiction or biographies, my English teachers were always frustrated with me since I was the only kid in the class like that.

11. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Green Day. Since they've started musically self-plagiarizing, I kinda stopped liking them. Now I listen to their old songs and pretend a really clever band wrote them.

12. I'll say The Wire, I mean it's one of my favourite shows but most people will have you believe it is a flawless masterpiece that did no wrong. While it in fact it let many characters fail to go beyond two dimensions and had a bit of a plagiarist side in it. Still, it is a fantastic show but not as good as some would have you believe!

My other pick would be Catcher in the Rye which I absolutely hated and had to read in chunks 3 months apart just to see what the fuss was about.

13. Thatoneguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Almost all music that is played on the radio station where I live. Some of it I can tolerate, but most of the time it just sounds like noise.

14. Cthulhu

Speaking of literature, I did not like reading American Pastoral at all. I had to read it in high school, and I still don't care about the Swede's family nor what goes on behind the curtains.

15. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Harry Potter. :eek:

People go bezerk for it, but I never really got into it... So I guess it's more of apathy than dislike...

16. timo

Coldplay, definitely Coldplay. Can't think of something as overrated as them.

17. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Adele. :wink: She has a nice voice, but people talk about her like she's female Jesus.

18. Minx

Instagram... I think it's pointless. :lol:

19. Thatoneguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have never even been on the site for it. I don't know why people love it so much.

20. Steelers91

I've never had facebook, it just doesn’t appeal to me. What sucks about that is when someone says they’re going to add me on facebook, I have to explain to them that I don't have it, which results in them thinking that I'm either lying to them for some reason or that I'm a social rejected outcast with newspaper clippings plastered all over my wall.