1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Perks Of Being A Wallflower?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by lexi, Feb 15, 2013.

1. lexi

lexi Guest

I just watched it, has anyone else seen it?

*SPOILER ALERT*

I was expecting a light movie about some teenagers trying to fit in blah blah blah, but it ended up having a LOT of content.

Basically: The main guy was abused by his aunt (who was also abused, suicidal, and eventually killed in a car accident) and his sister is abused by her boyfriend, and his best friend was depressed and shot himself. he then makes two new friends, one who was abused and cheated on; and one who dates a guy who was abused. The main character attempts suicide and ends up in a mental institution.

It's a lot better than i expected, but it wasn't amazing or anything. There was a lot of abuse, drugs, and other heavy topics.

Im not saying this made the movie bad, or less realistic (actually more realistic), I'm just saying there was a lot of emotional baggage, and you had to figure it out as you went along. Its one of those movies that takes a little effort to watch, but i would see it again.

Also, I LOVED Patrick! his personality made the movie 10X better, and how beautiful Emma Watson is :slight_smile: (I felt really bad that his boyfriend was so mean to him though. He really crossed the line.)

What did you think?

2. isobella

Couldn't care less about the movie, but Emma Watson is just unfff!

3. teluphone

Having enjoyed both the book and the movie, i personally feel chbosky improved a lot of stuff when he adapted his own novel into the screenplay as there was a more focused narrative (the book at time was at times has quite a bit of rambling).

Essentially i like this movie for not sugar coating the hells of high school and the trial and tribulations of teenage angst, even if not all of us can 100% relate to what Charlie goes through and i also that you do become emotionally invested in Sam and Patrick's storylines, they aren't your stereotypical nice girl and gay friend as they each also face some conflict along the way.

Logan gave one of the most powerful lead performances i never thought he could've done. I kinda wished Emma had more material to work on though since she is quite talented herself

4. TwoMethod

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh my God, I just watched this movie last night, and I thought it was pretty amazing actually. I'm normally quite particular about films too, but I can understand if you were expecting something light-hearted, how it could be totally off-putting!

I know you're not saying it's a bad movie, but you do seem to think that the fact that there was some emotional baggage and some controversial content that this is a negative. I think the opposite: it's a far cry from all these movies you go to where everything is spoon fed to you. At least this would make you think.

I loved all the characters really, and I thought Logan Lerman was pretty great in the role, and also pretty hot too.

It was a happy enough ending, too, which was great.

5. Brenny

I loved all three of the main characters. It was such an emotional movie but I felt like it was one of those movies that is so intimate and personal and true to life while still being theatrical. That movie made me both incredibly happy and then depressingly sad. I expected something light and cheery and it was so much more complex than I expected. It was definitely a favorite movie of mine. I haven't quite been through the drama those characters were but I feel like I could relate pretty well. I felt their happiness and their sadness. And I think that is what a great movie should do.

6. Niqk

Niqk Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Loved both book and movie.

I liked the tunnel ending :slight_smile:

7. aMiMe

Tryed to get my freind to redbox it. I REeeeeelly wanted to see that. love all 3 main cast.

8. Luke Matt

OMG.

I loved this movie ;___;

Also, Logan Lerman is everything I want in a boyfriend :slight_smile:

EDIT: *SPOILER ALERT - TURN AWAY NAO*

I went with a friend of mine who's brother committed suicide last year, so when that scene came on with Logan Lerman's character near the end of the movie, she broke down & it was really bad. I totally wasn't expecting that to happen.

Other than that though, it was a good movie :slight_smile:

9. My friends quite enjoyed it but, personally I couldn't stand the book and never went got to watching the movie.

10. editthesadparts

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Absolutely loved the book and was surprised to find I actually liked the movie as well. Usually I'm pretty picky about movie-adaptions, but this one I thought was well done. The angst and depression were, I think, more tangible in the movie as it's a little subtler in terms of narration than the book (which really did feel quite rambly at times).

11. starfish

I saw it in the theaters and loved it. I need to pick up the DVD.

12. TwoMethod

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    But that's the best thing about this movie: the author of the book, Stephen Chbosky, also adapted the screenplay and directed the movie. So if you did find that it wasn't an accurate representation of what the author intended with the book, then there would have been something wrong with you. :grin:

No, but seriously: the film medium has way more ways of portraying what the author intended. The only way to do that with a book is to literally write what you mean.

13. im the only person who thinks the movie was 'average'. it was good just not great. :confused:

14. WillowMaiden

WillowMaiden Guest

Good book, haven't seen the movie yet, but I hear good things.

15. SparkDT

Really liked it!

16. Sartoris

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Haven't read the book, but am interested in seeing the film. Unfortunately, the last time I checked, I was hold 167 out of 173 with my local library. :rolle:

17. TwoMethod

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm sure you could get it second-hand really cheaply!

18. Sartoris

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Probably, but aside from not having any money, I'm trying to cut back on blind buying [especially with DVDs.] :confused:

19. Van

Van

I really liked this movie.

20. MichaelB

Such a good book and film.

Would easily recommend it to anyone who asked. Think it's in my top 5 movies/books, and there's a lot of plots that you don't really see coming (well, I didn't) that I loved.

The only thing I would complain about is the title... it ironically makes the book abit of a wallflower itself; you don't want to read about someone that is going to have a boring life (no offense, but the stereotype of a wallflower is a social recluse that... watches life away, I guess?), so I did kinda think 'meh, won't really enjoy this much I think', but yeah like I said, I did enjoy it. Immensely. :grin: