1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Studio Ghibli

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by RavioliFaceMan, Feb 20, 2013.

1. I have tried anime (incl. Naruto, Bleach, DBZ & Death Note) but hated it all. The only ones I have actually liked have been the Studio Ghibli movies, especially Kiki's Delivery Service, My Neighbour Totoro, Pom Poko, Laputa and Spirited away. I prefer them with little or no fighting scenes. Perhaps they're more for kids, I don't know?

What Ghibli movies do everyone like and why? Also, does anyone know of similar anime that I might enjoy? I want to get more into anime but I just don't know what to watch.

2. Bebop

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't love Studio Ghibli movies as much as most people though I do enjoy most of them my favourites being Spirited Away and Porco Rosso. I also agree that the kids movies are better than their more "mature" films, the child like whimsy the films are able to capture is pretty much 'the' selling point for me otherwise they would be pretty mediocre.

For other recommendations based on Studio Ghibli I'd say possibly Natsume Yuujinchou and The Girl who Leapt Through time, though if you maybe wanted to give some genres you enjoy, or maybe other tv series, books, or whatever it may help in recommending stuff.

3. Mai Hasegawa

It's kind of embarassing, not knowing all the classics, but actually the only Ghibli movie I've seen is "Grave of the Fireflies"... and obviously it's very different from the rest.
    Check it out, though. It will break your heart in half, since it's a poignant anti-war film taking place during WWII.

If you want recommendations for similar artistic anime, I urge you to try Satoshi Kon's works, especially Millennium Actress. It's a beautiful, universal love story that never fails to make me cry. His works are different from the anime you mentioned - they are very symbolic and somehow demanding. I keep showing his works to anime-sceptic friends and they change their minds quickly.

4. curlycats

my favorite Ghibli film is Howl's Moving Castle. i love that movie more than any of the others by far. :slight_smile: second would be Spirited Away, i suppose.

i second the recommendation of Satoshi Kon. his work is very different from most of the Ghibli films, but it's also different from most anime in general. PAPRIKA in particular is one of my favorite movies of all time and even people who don't generally care for anime have liked it when i showed it to them. :slight_smile:

5. I have seen Grave of the Fireflies and almost mentioned it in my post, but it just doesn't stand out to me as I like sort of 'feel good' films. I do adore Howls Moving Castle, I just sort of forgot about it! I have been recommended The Girl Who Leapt Through Time before but forgot - I'm actually going to watch that now.

I do also like Cowboy Bebop, which is completely different to those. I guess I just go for the really beautiful 'nice' ones with the smaller scope, and Cowboy Bebop is the exception.

6. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My favorite is Spirited Away, maybe because I love them all but it was my first so it's the most important.

I think every Ghibli film can be appreciated by everyone differently at different periods in their life.

Kiki's Delivery Service cam be enjoyed by children as a cartoon about a young witch's misadventures but adults in their early 20s might see it as a story about someone going out into the world and trying to make it on their own for the first time.

I'll also echo the love for Satoshi Kon. Tokyo Godfathers made me cry, and not because it was sad, but just because of how powerful and bautiful a scene near the end is.

7. Ticklish Fish

off topic:
    I never liked those too-long and continuous series XD
    have you tried watching shorter series? Try Romeo x Juliet, Air, Air Gear, High school of the Dead.

PS. Digimon adventures 1&2 aren't bad in sub at all lol
    ( i am behind quite in anime lol)

8. Howl's Moving Castle, Princess Mononoke, My Neighbor Totoro

9. Nyanko

Princess Mononoke and Kiki's Delivery Service. I haven't seen either in a long time, but they've been my favorites since I was little.

10. I don't actually like Princess Mononoke. Like, at all. Not sure why, just always thought it was incredibly boring, and not particularly pretty.

11. Oddish

Oddish Guest

My favourite Ghibli film will always be Kiki's Delivery Service, with Spirited Away as a close second.

I haven't seen Princess Mononoke, but it doesn't seem intriguing to me. A friend recently asked if we could watch it together, and I agreed, but I'm still not really interested.

Also, even though it got neutral reviews and was perceived as fairly "childish", I really enjoyed The Cat Returns. I loved Arrietty as well.

12. Marvel

Castle in the Sky, Spirited Away, and Princess Mononoke. The former two though, jesus bloody christ I love them so much

The newer one, The Secret World of Arrietty, I wasn't too crazy about. I also heard they recently played a role in the development of a game, Ni no Kuni or something.

Rather, with The Secret World of Arrietty, I wasn't so much dissatisfied with the movie, 'cause it was really heartwarming and beautiful, but I couldn't stand the incredibly anti-climatic ending.

#12 Marvel, Feb 22, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  13. remainnameless

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Man I love Studio Gibli so much. My favorite is definitely Spirited Away, I even have the soundtrack. I really liked Princess Monoke and Howls Moving Castle as well. I was really dissapointed with The Secret World of Arietty, I thought it was terrible. I still need to see Castle In the Sky, Kikis Delivery Service, and My Neighbor Toronto.

I can't believe you didn't like those Anime you mentioned though, I love those :lol:

14. Phil

Phil Guest

I am more a fan of Hayao Miyazaki than the Studio. But here goes my list of movies that i like from the Studio: Howl's Moving Castle, My Neighbor Totoro, Spirited Away, The Secret World of Arietty, Grave of the Fireflies, Princess Mononoke.
    The one i really hated was Ponyo, it's boring and the music theme... AAAAAAAAAH, the damned music theme is on my mind again, bloody hell. lol

And The Girl who Leapt Through time is great, you should try to watch this one. :grin:

15. prism

I'm the same way, but there are a few select anime series that I have really enjoyed.

Anyway, Disney bought Studio Ghibli, so I highly recommend watching the original English dubs or just in the original Japanese. I grew up with Totoro, so when I heard the Disney dubs I wanted to rip my ears out.

No one seems to like Whisper of the Heart, but I really enjoyed it. I thought NausicaƤ of the Valley of the Wind was pretty good too.
    Spirited Away >>> Howl's Moving Castle.
    Princess Mononoke is one of my favorite movies of all time.

I'd give anything to see The Day I Harvested a Planet, which you can only see in the Saturn Theatre at the Ghibli Museum in Tokyo. One day... when I'm not poor as shit. ;c

16. Whisper of the Heart was one of the best too!

17. Aielar

Howl's Moving Castle was my favorite Ghibli film, with My Neighbor Totoro a close second. I've seen part of Nausicaa and Kiki's Delivery Service, but they weren't my kind of thing.

18. stephenstills

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    One of my favourite movies of all time to this day is "Spirited Away". I was living at Uni back when I saw it, and many Japanese exchange students were living in halls so we got to watch it in its original Japanese. Great movie!

19. UndercoverGypsy

This + Spirited Away for me.