1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Curling

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by greatwhale, Feb 23, 2013.

1. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Right now my 10 y.o. son (vice-skip) and the 11 y.o. skip he plays with are in first place during this evening's curling bonspiel at our local Curling club. They just beat their opponents 8 -0 (and they're all fully grown adults!)

2. Munyal

Nice! I always watch curling in the olympics. Your son must be pretty good! Does he slide the stone or is he a sweeper?

3. Cthulhu

I watched some curling during the olympics. That was more entertaining than I expected. :slight_smile:

4. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    He does both, his position in the roster of rock-throwers is second to last, so there's a fair bit of strategy. He sweeps the rest of the time What's hilarious is that he weighs just about twice what the rock weighs (same for his teamate)

5. Munyal

That is pretty funny! He must be pretty small. We don't do curlin' in dis' great state o' missoura! So i do tennis lol

6. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You should see his sweeping, he's gotten much better...now it's in front of the rock!

7. gador

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I have to say I could never get my head around the broom-thing.
    Since I'm doing (Eis)Stockschießen (a somehow similar sport more or less only played in Bavarian-speaking regions (Bavaria, Austria and South-Tyrol)) the sweeping always occurs to me like cheating because it allows you to severly manipulate the length and direction of the rock after release.
    But non the less I think it's great when children and young people are keen on doing such sports and get fostered (right word?) to do so.

8. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Searched it on Google, I never knew about this sport! Truly fascinating! Yes fostered, or supported is definitely the right word.

The sweeping (a good sweeper that is) can extend the distance a rock is thrown by about 25 feet (about 8 meters). It's only cheating if only one side can do it, which isn't the case; however it does add a measure of control which in itself brings in an element of skill and judgment.

I've been to both Munich and Vienna, by the way, both beautiful cities, never saw this played there though. I remember seeing a giant sign at the Munich train station, in giant letters it said "Gutt Fahrt", which to English ears can be quite...jarring. LOL

9. gador

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It's not a very well known sport even here, its more of a traditional sport even if there are championships. There's also distance competion (world record at some over 500 meters on natural ice). Thats really athletic just look at this video: letzter Durchgang Europameisterschaften 2011 Herren Finale - YouTube

"Gute Fahrt" just means "good journey"

10. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know about the "good journey" part, but some words do sound odd in other languages!

I also wish you a good journey here at EC; coming out to oneself is zehr important but eventually it has to migrate from inside one's head to the real world to take effect, and that requires no small amount of courage and commitment. Saying it to others effectively locks the closet door with you on the outside of it!

We are in this to support you, don't hesitate to call upon this little island of hope and encouragement!